Training - Those who get it and those who don't

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    If Gomez was still alive I'd train more. I haven't met anyone I enjoyed training with as much as Paul. Just because you don't see a person at classes doesn't mean they aren't training. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Over the years firearm training has always been a conglomeration of best practices by recognized experts. People like Jeff Cooper and his peers, much like peer reviewed and accepted medical research. Now days people especially the younger generation think that because professor x did it this way , that must be the only way.

Find me another trainer that does it like Paul, and I'll be in.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If Gomez was still alive I'd train more. I haven't met anyone I enjoyed training with as much as Paul. Just because you don't see a person at classes doesn't mean they aren't training. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Over the years firearm training has always been a conglomeration of best practices by recognized experts. People like Jeff Cooper and his peers, much like peer reviewed and accepted medical research. Now days people especially the younger generation think that because professor x did it this way , that must be the only way.

Find me another trainer that does it like Paul, and I'll be in.

Paul Gomez wasn’t the end all be all instructor. If Paul was here today, he would be telling you to seek training from multiple instructors.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    Paul Gomez wasn’t the end all be all instructor. If Paul was here today, he would be telling you to seek training from multiple instructors.

You really do have something to say about everything don't you? I never said he was the end all, but he was my friend. I personally haven't found anyone with whom I enjoy training with as much. You are one of the main reasons I quit this site last time, and will likely be the reason this will likely be my last post on this account. I have over 25 years training, and am as much a student today as I was 25 years ago. I spent years with Paul on his journey, Long before he was an instructor or even the training bum. He was well versed in many disciplines, and well respected among many of the people you probably take classes from today. It is easy to build a relationship with an instructor you are paying. Paul gave freely much of his knowledge in Jefferson Rd Park. I don't see many doing that around anymore.

I trained side by side with Paul in Escrima, Muay Thai, and Kaji with Ron, for years. We sparred traded thoughts on a plethora of subjects. I was around to see some of his struggles, and his victories. Paul's knowledge came from a lifetime of work. I have met many good instructors, bad instructors, and plain old instructors over a number of years. I'll just keep doing what I have been, put rounds down range, and leave the opinions to people like you who have one about **** they know nothing about. You don't know what Gomez would tell me if he were still around. You don't know me, and I question how well you knew him.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    The first part of your simple comment was instigative, and offensive. Followed by what would have otherwise been a sound statement.

One of the first things I had to learn, when becoming an instructor years ago, was how to be less abrasive. You do have some sound points, and I don't disagree with everything you say all the time. However cannot take your side, because you get as much wrong based on your strong opinions as you get correct.

You like to mix your opinions as matter of facts. You could have easily left off the "Gomez wasn't the end all" comment. I met many of the people I knew from this forum at Jefferson Park under Gomez's tutelage. It would have been more well received.

Take it for what it's worth. Here comes my sly quip from this post. If you were half the student you say you are, you'll see the value in what other people who may be older and wiser are trying to convey in not so many words. I learned far more with my mouth closed and my mind open, than I ever learned while running my mouth, and blocking the passage of information to my brain with my opinions.

Classes aren't the only way to knowledge, they are just faster. Training doesn't always mean classes, just like all classes shouldn't be considered training.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm not asking you to pick sides. I stated a fact, which you acknowledged, but someone took offense to it. I have no issues with Paul Gomez or his work.

Since you were so close to Paul, did he advocate for training with other instructors? Yes or no?

I learned much more by opening my mouth, because a lot of people lack the ability to question things. Understanding WHY is much more important than paying a fee and having someone tell you that they are right. If the instructor can't articulate why, then you need to find a new instructor.

Age isn't an automatic qualifier for wisdom. Funny that you mentioned it. There are many elder instructors that defy the idea of having a "plastic" gun with a battery powered gizmo on it. Times change and so does training.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    back when i was single and working offshore i had tons of time and money for classes.
    now that i work 40hr weeks, commute, own a home, have a family, and all that comes with it and i can barely find time to go to the range every couple of months, letalone 2-3 days for a class.
    and lets not talk about the costs, with ammo your cost is looking $300-$500 for a short cheap course. and thats not including if the instructor wants special equipment, 47 mags, etc...

and whoever said people can afford parades or festivals but not train, it cost me maybe $50 and 4 hours to take my family to a parade. i dont see how they equate at all.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Btw, you could have petitioned the Admins and Moderators to unban your Troedoff account instead of making a new account just to argue.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    It was much easier to do it this way, and I don't want it to be said I was hiding behind an internet pseudonym. This site is cancer because of people like you.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It was much easier to do it this way, and I don't want it to be said I was hiding behind an internet pseudonym. This site is cancer because of people like you.

Were you wearing your official instructor shirt when you typed that?

The firearms industry is cancer, because of instructors like you.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Well that's just not nice or correct. There is nothing wrong with challenging 'why' people believe something.

Everyone "knows" something that actually isn't true, but they will adamantly defend it, often even in the presence of conflicting facts.

Regarding instructors or classes, there is no 'best' out there, but there certainly is 'better.'

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Were you wearing your official instructor shirt when you typed that?

The firearms industry is cancer, because of instructors like you.

Also not nice. Be nice fellers. We can all disagree politely.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It is hard for someone to argue by himself unless he keeps disagreeing with himself.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well that's just not nice or correct. There is nothing wrong with challenging 'why' people believe something.

Everyone "knows" something that actually isn't true, but they will adamantly defend it, often even in the presence of conflicting facts.

Regarding instructors or classes, there is no 'best' out there, but there certainly is 'better.'

And if they run smooth out of arguments they make them up like how ‘Tesla’s can discharge into the ground safely’. :D

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And if they run smooth out of arguments they make them up like how ‘Tesla’s can discharge into the ground safely’. :D

Hey now, I was very clear when I said that I guessed they had some safety feature like that. I also don't claim to have any real working knowledge of electricity, aside from the absolute basics.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I prefer to argue about Wheat or Whitebread.

- - - Updated - - -

It is hard for someone to argue by himself unless he keeps disagreeing with himself.

Fair point. Makes you wonder why many people were disagreeing with him.

Top Bottom