Beretta guys???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcdogfish

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 2, 2015
    prairieville, LA
    I shot a 92a1 and fell in love. I'm looking for one in 9mm and see some fs models out there. Is the only difference the sight and rail? I'm not familiar with Beretta's but think I will be soon.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have quite a few and have shot and collected the 92 avidly for around 35 years. I don’t notice much difference in shooting feel at all between models except for a little bit between the compact/Vertec/centurion models and full size models, which is minimal. There is a little room for improvement over bone stock (trigger and op-spring) but they all run smooth as butter in OEM condition, with a real sweet single action and short reset trigger. It’s one of the most controllable and dependable 9mm pistols I’ve ever shot, inherent to the design. The 3 smoothest .40 S&W pistols I’ve ever shot are H&K USP, Beretta 96 and FNX 40, in that order. Some folks with smaller hands complain a little but a Desert Eagle fits my hand great so I imagine there may be something to it. There are differences in the front sights, most are built into the slide, a few new models do have dovetail front. There are differences in the grip on certain models (note the pics posted previously) but again, no different in feel to me when shooting. FS full size models have 15 and 17 round flush fit mags, the compact shorter grip versions have 13 and 15 rounders available. If I had a choice between 92FS police trade in and a 92S for less money, I’d go for the FS, BUT, even the single stack Helwan Brigadier model is a really sweet shooter, so no matter which you wind up with, you’ll likely be pleased. Some of the newer full size Berettas will have plastic op rod, trigger and safety/decocker parts that work well but I replace them when I wind up with any. The only one of mine I ever felt compelled to improve was a DAO police model centurion I bought dirt cheap in the 90’s. Dropped a few Wilson Combat parts in it and was completely satisfied. I’ve bought and sold quite a few pistols over the years, bought a lot of Berettas and have yet to part with one.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    And magazine price/availability is outstanding

48bc6c428a08d3d26be51060640c6782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I love the Berretta 92 series. I would consider it among the best 9mm's out there. As far as I know, the only differences between the a1 and fs are what you described. If anything, to me the a1 is an upgraded version due to the rail and higher mag capacity it comes with; although all the 92 mags are interchangeable to my knowledge.

I always bring mine for every range visit. Just such a joy to shoot. I still owe myself a compact version. One of these days.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I love the Berretta 92 series. I would consider it among the best 9mm's out there. As far as I know, the only differences between the a1 and fs are what you described. If anything, to me the a1 is an upgraded version due to the rail and higher mag capacity it comes with; although all the 92 mags are interchangeable to my knowledge.

I always bring mine for every range visit. Just such a joy to shoot. I still owe myself a compact version. One of these days.
    Yeah, I’ve picked up a few 17 rounders and they’re the same except for the polished blue finish as opposed to the standard matte black.
    The compact is a sweet little pistol. I prefer the one without the rail, but I bought a railed version first. Had to wait for the plain frame to be available again but it was worth it.
    c6ad977a5bfe4ecb51c5180009e102b2.jpg

21d55e255b92349a359d327a093afddc.jpg

Shorter grip, slide and barrel. Not a mini by any means, but scaled down nicely.

Last edited:

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, I’ve picked up a few 17 rounders and they’re the same except for the polished blue finish as opposed to the standard matte black.
    The compact is a sweet little pistol. I prefer the one without the rail, but I bought a railed version first. Had to wait for the plain frame to be available again but it was worth it.
    c6ad977a5bfe4ecb51c5180009e102b2.jpg

21d55e255b92349a359d327a093afddc.jpg

Shorter grip, slide and barrel. Not a mini by any means, but scaled down nicely.

Okay heard that, that's what I thought.

Ooooh, those are nice. That's awesome. Yeah, I personally think just a scaled down version of the full size is perfect. I think it would be a great carry; for me, at least. I probably wouldn't go with the rail for my compact either.

Let me know if you're ever looking to part with one of your compacts lol ;)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Okay heard that, that's what I thought.

Ooooh, those are nice. That's awesome. Yeah, I personally think just a scaled down version of the full size is perfect. I think it would be a great carry; for me, at least. I probably wouldn't go with the rail for my compact either.

Let me know if you're ever looking to part with one of your compacts lol ;)
    Always glad to help find one but can’t bear to part with one.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a few 92's. Cool guns, but their complexity concerns me.

Years ago when I did a three day intensive handgun class, the instructor suggested that we not run 92's. My backup pistol was a S&W M&P, and I ended up shooting that. It's a good thing ... the two guys that insisted on running 92's both had issues.

That said, it's a fun range toy.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a few 92's. Cool guns, but their complexity concerns me.

Years ago when I did a three day intensive handgun class, the instructor suggested that we not run 92's. My backup pistol was a S&W M&P, and I ended up shooting that. It's a good thing ... the two guys that insisted on running 92's both had issues.

That said, it's a fun range toy.

Mike
    Any idea what sort of problems?
    I’ve had one breakage on a police trade in about 10 years or so back. Heavily shot weapon when I got it no doubt. The inside looked about as worn as the outside. The extractor blew out. It was always my beater. I carried it on my place a lot and I’d shot at least 3k rounds with it. I can’t say I’ve never had any issues with any of mine but when I did it was short lived, either ammo related or fouling or as simple as a faulty mag.
    I can tell you the Sellier & Bellot FMJ stuff is not dependable in a 92. Their ammo is usually great but the smaller beveled rim on their 9mm brass is problematic.

Last edited:

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    I have owned 28 different variants of the Beretta 92 over 25+ years.... It is my favorite platform...

Unfortunately, life happens. I've had to sell some due to medical reasons, and also a divorce I had a few years back. But, I have held onto my favorite. My M9A3. AWESOME gun.

IOZrui0.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have owned 28 different variants of the Beretta 92 over 25+ years.... It is my favorite platform...

Unfortunately, life happens. I've had to sell some due to medical reasons, and also a divorce I had a few years back. But, I have held onto my favorite. My M9A3. AWESOME gun.

IOZrui0.jpg
    Very nice
    :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom