Does a BB gun (pistol) count as a concealed weapon law violation in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Oh well. Tomato, tomato I guess. We just don’t see it the same. It sounds like an attorney should have no problem getting around implication if that’s all the guy said. Im sure pretty much any scenario is ample for an arrest and a ride to jail but I believe he’d have to have been a little more specific regarding intent for that to hold up in court. Like I said, hopefully there will be some feedback posted and we can see how far it goes.
    Last year in February it was 1,081 total documented deaths following taser deployment but as you said, underlying conditions, like being 80 years old, bad heart, and going timber face down on the pavement or whatever, but that would kinda go along with who to use a taser on and when to do so. Likely many were just due to poor judgement on somebody’s part.
    I haven’t looked into death rates from BB guns, so they could be around the same number, idk.

"Reuters was able to obtain cause-of-death data for 779 of the 1,081 deaths it has documented and the Taser was deemed a cause or contributing factor in 21 percent of those.

Axon Enterprise Inc , the Taser’s manufacturer, says most deaths involving the weapons are a result of drug use, underlying physiological conditions, such as heart problems, or other police force used along with the Taser."

"Reuters reporting, which included the most complete accounting to date of fatalities following Taser shocks, showed that many cases involved high-risk subjects, such as people agitated by drugs or mental illness, people with heart problems, people who are very young or very old or very frail.

At least half those who died after Taser shocks last year fell into one or more of those categories. As in previous years, about 90 percent were unarmed and nearly a quarter had a history of mental illness."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ties-start-rethinking-taser-use-idUSKCN1PT0YT

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    "Reuters was able to obtain cause-of-death data for 779 of the 1,081 deaths it has documented and the Taser was deemed a cause or contributing factor in 21 percent of those.

Axon Enterprise Inc , the Taser’s manufacturer, says most deaths involving the weapons are a result of drug use, underlying physiological conditions, such as heart problems, or other police force used along with the Taser."

"Reuters reporting, which included the most complete accounting to date of fatalities following Taser shocks, showed that many cases involved high-risk subjects, such as people agitated by drugs or mental illness, people with heart problems, people who are very young or very old or very frail.

At least half those who died after Taser shocks last year fell into one or more of those categories. As in previous years, about 90 percent were unarmed and nearly a quarter had a history of mental illness."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ties-start-rethinking-taser-use-idUSKCN1PT0YT

Yeah, Reuter’s is where I got the info. They’re pretty thorough, but I didn’t see mentioned the deaths related to head injury from the unprotected fall to pavement. Young and healthy, drug free people have died as a result.
    It also didn’t take into account the ones killed from multiple tasing, far longer than recommended by the manufacturer. There are documented cases for those as well. Maybe that’s included in the other police force part.

Last edited:

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana

I was threatened with arrest for standing on a public sidewalk. New Orleans Port Police 2017.

Threatened with arrest, shaken down, at one time I was surrounded by about 8 cops. No sarcasm whatsoever!!!

You would think there is no crime whatsoever in New Orleans and the NOPP had nothing else to do!!!...O.K. That one may have been a little sarcastic.

Since that time I have made it a point to stay out of Orleans Parish...I admit, I had to stop to get gas once. Other than passing through on I-10 I have avoided Orleans Parish.

This officer could have been, should have been, an ambassador for his city. Instead he left a very bad impression of a city I once called home.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was threatened with arrest for standing on a public sidewalk. New Orleans Port Police 2017.

Threatened with arrest, shaken down, at one time I was surrounded by about 8 cops. No sarcasm whatsoever!!!

You would think there is no crime whatsoever in New Orleans and the NOPP had nothing else to do!!!...O.K. That one may have been a little sarcastic.

Since that time I have made it a point to stay out of Orleans Parish...I admit, I had to stop to get gas once. Other than passing through on I-10 I have avoided Orleans Parish.

This officer could have been, should have been, an ambassador for his city. Instead he left a very bad impression of a city I once called home.

NOPP is the New Orleans Private Patrol. They provide security guards who watch over businesses and call the police if something real happens. Any real port police would likely be Harbor Patrol or, officially, the Harbor Police Division (HPD). To avoid them, you just really need to stay away from the ports on the Mississippi river. There's also the Orleans Levee District Police. They generally work on and around the levees. To avoid them, you'd have to restrict yourself to only about 90% of the city, the parts away from the river and the lake.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    NOPP is the New Orleans Private Patrol. They provide security guards who watch over businesses and call the police if something real happens. Any real port police would likely be Harbor Patrol or, officially, the Harbor Police Division (HPD). To avoid them, you just really need to stay away from the ports on the Mississippi river. There's also the Orleans Levee District Police. They generally work on and around the levees. To avoid them, you'd have to restrict yourself to only about 90% of the city, the parts away from the river and the lake.

So NOPP is actually security guards? He wasn’t surrounded by 8 mean police officers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So NOPP is actually security guards? He wasn’t surrounded by 8 mean police officers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

b73758ea1f849d235810e3dc0cc975a3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do you leave your arms and fist at home when you leave?

That's a silly question for a couple of reasons. First, you already know the answer. No, I, along with almost everyone else, do not leave my arms and fist when I leave anywhere. In fact, I don't just bring my arms and fist, I bring my arms and both fists.

Second, this discussion is regarding a bb gun being viewed as a dangerous weapon in the eyes of the law. Neither arms nor fists are viewed as dangerous weapons with respect to the laws. Aggravated Battery is a battery committed with a dangerous weapon. If you hit someone with an arm or a fist, you will not be charged with Aggravated Battery. You will be charged with Simple Battery. But, you're telling yourself, a dangerous weapon includes any gas, liquid or other substance or instrumentality, which, in the manner used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm so what if you hit someone with your arm or fist and you produce death or great bodily harm? Well, I'm glad you asked. If it results in death, the charge would be one of the homicides. If it results in great bodily harm, it's Second Degree Battery. Second Degree Battery is a battery when the offender intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury. In your head you're now thinking someone could still be charged with Second Degree Battery but the actions could meet the requirement for Aggravated Battery. That makes less sense than your question. Aggravated Battery carried up to 10 years and Second Degree Battery carries up to 8 years. If the actions met the requirements for the crime with the harsher penalty, someone would be charged with that crime.

Here's a good example. The suspect and another guy nearly beat a guy to death and put him in a coma. The suspect was convicted of second degree battery. If arms and fists were dangerous weapons, he would have been arrested for either aggravated battery or attempted murder.
    https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_2d75a002-08e9-5b43-ba6c-4e237cfb8485.html
    https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_20e4aeda-e6d9-59d7-8a6e-d6201b86211d.html
    https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_bbc7b2fe-12a9-59aa-baeb-28db0cf600b7.html

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That's a silly question for a couple of reasons. First, you already know the answer. No, I, along with almost everyone else, do not leave my arms and fist when I leave anywhere. In fact, I don't just bring my arms and fist, I bring my arms and both fists.

Second, this discussion is regarding a bb gun being viewed as a dangerous weapon in the eyes of the law. Neither arms nor fists are viewed as dangerous weapons with respect to the laws. Aggravated Battery is a battery committed with a dangerous weapon. If you hit someone with an arm or a fist, you will not be charged with Aggravated Battery. You will be charged with Simple Battery. But, you're telling yourself, a dangerous weapon includes any gas, liquid or other substance or instrumentality, which, in the manner used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm so what if you hit someone with your arm or fist and you produce death or great bodily harm? Well, I'm glad you asked. If it results in death, the charge would be one of the homicides. If it results in great bodily harm, it's Second Degree Battery. Second Degree Battery is a battery when the offender intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury. In your head you're now thinking someone could still be charged with Second Degree Battery but the actions could meet the requirement for Aggravated Battery. That makes less sense than your question. Aggravated Battery carried up to 10 years and Second Degree Battery carries up to 8 years. If the actions met the requirements for the crime with the harsher penalty, someone would be charged with that crime.

Here's a good example. The suspect and another guy nearly beat a guy to death and put him in a coma. The suspect was convicted of second degree battery. If arms and fists were dangerous weapons, he would have been arrested for either aggravated battery or attempted murder.
    https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_2d75a002-08e9-5b43-ba6c-4e237cfb8485.html
    https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_20e4aeda-e6d9-59d7-8a6e-d6201b86211d.html
    https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_bbc7b2fe-12a9-59aa-baeb-28db0cf600b7.html

Do you leave your mic at home after you drop it, or do you pic it up and bring it with you everytime you leave?

Top Bottom