Remington 870 Restoration Project

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hmmm, ryobi batteries... Might want to step up to Milwaukee. While the same company in China makes both ryobi and Milwaukee, the ryobi stuff is not "just as good"...

Taking a 870 apart is not as easy as a moss 500. I have multiples of both, and I prefer the Mossberg for the weight reduction. I'll never shoot either enough to wear them out.

For what those batteries are used for, they are adequate. I never made any claim that Ryobi makes top end tools.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Flex tab parts and new forend tube assembly arrived today while I was spending some time fixing the trigger. After 70 years of right handed use, the trigger was smoothed out on the right side only. The bluing was slightly worn, so I decided to file, sand, and polish the trigger. I reprofiled the edges so that both sides matched and then began polishing from 80 to 220, then to 600, and finally with 1500 grit wet sand paper. Degreased, rinsed, and used some Birchwood Casey Super Blue to darken the trigger. It's now soaking for 24 hours in some CLP, since I didn't have any heavy weight oil to use.

50084687937_0166fd404c_z.jpg

50084687867_1234f21d97_z.jpg

50084688057_450591339a_z.jpg

50084450621_63fc9e3b0b_z.jpg

50083867853_ea5b8dc7ea_z.jpg

50084688042_3ed80c84c1_z.jpg

50084688007_675f7aab34_z.jpg

50083867848_4859a3492c_z.jpg

50084451081_33cae2b9e5_z.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Coming along nicely DAVE_M,That going to be for 3 gun or Home intruder hall sweeper?

Just for the range and a conversation piece for now.

I was going to shoot it with the original forend tube assembly, bolt, and carrier, but due to the way people are buying everything up right now, I went ahead and ordered a modern Flex Tab assembly. That includes a new forend tube assembly and nut, new bolt, new carrier, and new bolt slide, and some small springs. That should bring everything up to a modern 870's level.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Just for the range and a conversation piece for now.

I was going to shoot it with the original forend tube assembly, bolt, and carrier, but due to the way people are buying everything up right now, I went ahead and ordered a modern Flex Tab assembly. That includes a new forend tube assembly and nut, new bolt, new carrier, and new bolt slide, and some small springs. That should bring everything up to a modern 870's level.

I guess parts are tough to come by nowadays,Yours is an older model which too me has better stronger parts.

I have a super turkey out in the garage,Took off the 18.5'' barrel and went with a more modern 28'' with diff chokes.

One day I'll bring it to the farm for a few test shots.

You're build is looking great btw!!! Good Luck !

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I guess parts are tough to come by nowadays,Yours is an older model which too me has better stronger parts.

I have a super turkey out in the garage,Took off the 18.5'' barrel and went with a more modern 28'' with diff chokes.

One day I'll bring it to the farm for a few test shots.

You're build is looking great btw!!! Good Luck !

Some of the older stuff is built better, but sometime in the 70’s they began making changes. The newer forend tube assembly has six welds instead of two and has the updated action bars. The bolt and slide were changed slightly as well as the carrier. The older models, like mine, can potentially have a shell jump the stop and seize up the shotgun. You would then need a small knife or another tool to force the shell back into the magazine tube. For a bird gun it’s not such a big deal, but for a defensive shotgun the new parts allow you to rack out a malfunction and chamber another shell. I’ll have to take pics of the parts side by side.

I was lucky and found a brand new Remington 18.5* cylinder bore barrel at Cabela’s for a little over a hundred bucks.

jlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Due east
    The Magpul furniture isn't is pretty as good wood, but it sure is functional. On the 870s, I have found the Fab Defense forend to be preferable due to not having the lip on the rear, but that's just me.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I had bought one of the shell extension tubes for mine,Made by Remington

But I had a few problems with it,Thinking I didn't get the ''dimples'' at the end of the regular tube flat enough or you may call it the end cap stop or spring stop.

So it would hang up the shells and not come down the tube properly.. I removed it for the time being.

It's now a ''Legal'' only holds 3 shells hunting shotgun.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I had bought one of the shell extension tubes for mine,Made by Remington

But I had a few problems with it,Thinking I didn't get the ''dimples'' at the end of the regular tube flat enough or you may call it the end cap stop or spring stop.

So it would hang up the shells and not come down the tube properly.. I removed it for the time being.

It's now a ''Legal'' only holds 3 shells hunting shotgun.

Thankfully, my older 870 is prior to the dimpled Express series. It used a pressed in spring retainer. The Wilson Combat extension came with a new spring and follower. I can't complain for the price I paid. Vang Comp was nearly double the cost. I was tempted to buy a Remington extension, but they are designed to rely on a barrel clamp that I didn't want.

5222-0.jpg

The newer shotguns with dimples can be removed with a dremel or by pounding a socket through the tube.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Thankfully, my older 870 is prior to the dimpled Express series. It used a pressed in spring retainer. The Wilson Combat extension came with a new spring and follower. I can't complain for the price I paid. Vang Comp was nearly double the cost. I was tempted to buy a Remington extension, but they are designed to rely on a barrel clamp that I didn't want.

5222-0.jpg

The newer shotguns with dimples can be removed with a dremel or by pounding a socket through the tube.

Yes, I had read that somewhere,I did manage to pound an 11/16th socket 3/8th drive thru it and it helped.

Played with the dremel tool a bit and thought I had it polished out enough.

Apparently I didn't...So wasn't satisfied with the results.

I then switched directions and went back to a legal hunting rig.

Picked up a Winchester SXP Defender,Made in Turkey,Seems a solid enough lil shot-gun for the money.

But I like what you're doing,Good Luck and keep us posted!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The trigger came out better than I expected. Around lunch today I got a call that my parts were finished and ready for pickup. Swung by the shop and was blown away. I'm really happy with how this project turned out, even if it wasn't the most cost effective solution, I enjoyed the process.

50123762411_2730d3eec2_c.jpg

50123761461_ec993ff2fb_c.jpg

50123982197_71958e7353_b.jpg

50123982612_4a14892a49_b.jpg

50123762426_ba72bdb306_b.jpg

Top Bottom