Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    From what I'm reading,You da man !
    So they say.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Got it all pulled apart. Everything was in good condition except for the corncob forend. It was split under the barrel and slightly rotted. Not worth saving. It broke off very easily in two pieces. Then came the issue of removing the forend tube nut. It was rusted on pretty good, so I tried soaking it in Kroil for a few hours, but that failed. The only thing it did was melt the cup I was using. Washed it off, then soaked overnight in vinegar. That removed the rust, bluing, and allowed the nut to break free by hand. Waiting on a new barrel and +2 extension, then it goes off to get coated.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Nice, what coating are you going with? You getting aftermarket synthetic furniture? If so which ones?

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsfan6 View Post
    Nice, what coating are you going with? You getting aftermarket synthetic furniture? If so which ones?
    I have a Magpul SGA stock and forend on the way.

Originally, I was going to parkerize it, but I decided to have it cerakoted. It will be some form of OD green.

Once I realized the forend wasn’t in such great shape, I ditched any ideas of refinishing the wood. I like the look of the original wood with a short barrel, but given the shape of this gun, it’s going to get a modern treatment.

If I decide to later on, I will pick up a new forend tube assembly and Flexibar kit.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Soaked the small parts in Vinegar as well, but left out the springs and tiny parts. Then scrubbed everything down with degreaser/cleaner and dried all parts. Set them aside in a sealed bag with a few squirts of CLP to prevent any rusting while I wait for parts to get coated.

Marksman

User Info Menu

" so I tried soaking it in Kroil for a few hours, but that failed. The only thing it did was melt the cup I was using."
    I guess you won't be drinking Knoil out of a Solo cup anymore.
    Nice project.

I will give you my Red Rider Carbine Action 200 Shot Range Model Air Rifle when you Pry it From My Cold Dead Hands
    Your Political Correctness is an Attack on my Free Speech

Sooooo Cheesy!

User Info Menu

Nice to see a metal factory trigger housing.
    PSA: run up on me while I'm getting my Beef and Cheddar on and point a gun or gun like object in my face, be prepared to catch some hot ones. -Vanilla Gorilla

Okay, why the hell is there a cock picture in my thread? -JWG223

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy Lasagna View Post
    Nice to see a metal factory trigger housing.
    I'm thankful that it's in good shape. The lifter has a few spots on, but after scrubbing it, it looks good for being 70 years old.

I wish I took photos of the trigger and safety before cleaning them up, because I've never seen so much gunk in my life. I suppose I am the first person to pull it apart since 1950.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Magpul furniture arrived today along with the 18" Cylinder Bore barrel I found on clearance at Cabela's of all places.

Waiting on the Wilson Combat +2 Extension then it can go to Cerakote.

Not Banned!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post

Hmmm, ryobi batteries... Might want to step up to Milwaukee. While the same company in China makes both ryobi and Milwaukee, the ryobi stuff is not "just as good"...

Taking a 870 apart is not as easy as a moss 500. I have multiples of both, and I prefer the Mossberg for the weight reduction. I'll never shoot either enough to wear them out.
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"