Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    _________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Remington 870 Restoration Project

I'm once again in the market for another long gun. This time a shotgun. I have little to no use for a shotgun. I haven’t owned one for at least a decade. However, I want another one just for the sake of owning one and letting friends and family shoot it on the range to compare with other firearms. No, this will not be for home defense. That's a discussion I don't care to get into. However, it should be oriented with defensive use in mind, for fair comparison to other common home defense firearms.

The only shotguns I'm interested in are the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590 with 18" barrels.

The last 870's I've torn apart and shot with were all Pre-Freedom Group 870 Express examples. To my knowledge, there are more differences between the 870 Police and 870 Express than there are between Pre and Post-Freedom Group examples of the same model. If this is the case, then I'm not opposed to buying a newer model, so long as I can acquire replacement parts to enhance the reliability of said shotgun. In the past, I've had issues with 870 Express shotguns, one of which had to be sent back to Remington for ejector replacement.

I'm essentially looking to pick one up to have a selection of items for friends and family to shoot, as well as give myself an opportunity to learn about them. I've never been a big shotgun fan, because I admit I don't understand enough about them. There seems to be a lot of noise to signal when it comes to shotguns, but I figured I would ask here in hopes someone knows something of value.

Edit - I picked up an 870 from a friend and will begin tearing it down.

Last edited by DAVE_M; May 31st, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

Academy sells Mossberg Mavericks for under two hundred dollars. They are essentially a cheap version of a Mossberg 500.

For your purposes I would think it would be adaquate.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBMJR1 View Post
    Academy sells Mossberg Mavericks for under two hundred dollars. They are essentially a cheap version of a Mossberg 500.

For your purposes I would think it would be adaquate.
    Having owned one previously, it’s not something I’m interested in.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I bought a beater 870 pump 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 from someone who use it as a swamp deer gun. I stripped it bare and used the brownells alumahyde coating. Purchased a second barrel and now I have a great all around loaner gun or back up gun for anything from field shooting to goose hunting. It is what I loan my dad when he goes hunting as nothing ever comes back the same. That was one of the first
    Guns I tinkered with to that depth and enjoyed it. Itís not a collectors price but If you saw a before and after it looks like a totally new gun. For that I really like the older 870 options than a newer one but thatís me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

The 870 super turkey magnums are to me better built,

Academy also sells the Winchester SPX for around 3 bills,You also can mount a scope,Believe its about an 18 1/2 in barrel.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I see 18" Wingmasters around from time to time, usually in the $350-400 range, depending upon condition. That's what I bought 36 years ago when I got out of the academy. Bulletproof. Has never failed me once.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I have acquired a good condition 870 Wingmaster that, if I’m reading correctly, dates back to February 1950.

It appears to have been refinished at some point, so I can’t tell if it’s completely original.

Probably gonna upset some people for what I’m gonna do to it.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I have acquired a good condition 870 Wingmaster that, if I’m reading correctly, dates back to February 1950.

It appears to have been refinished at some point, so I can’t tell if it’s completely original.

I'm sure you'll upset people no matter what you do. Honestly, doing nothing would probably suffice too.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    I'm sure you'll upset people no matter what you do. Honestly, doing nothing would probably suffice too.
    C'est la vie

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post

From what I'm reading,You da man !
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.