BJ Baldwin Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Surprised no one mentioned the Las Vegas shooting that involved BJ Baldwin and Tori Nonaka (yes, that one).

It was justified.
    He had a heavily modified G19.
    He had a red dot.
    He fired 10 rounds and made 10 hits.
    He made hits out to 23 yards.
    He was being fired at.
    He was carrying AIWB.
    He was firing at 2 am in low light.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Surprised no one mentioned the Las Vegas shooting that involved BJ Baldwin and Tori Nonaka (yes, that one).

It was justified.
    He had a heavily modified G19.
    He had a red dot.
    He fired 10 rounds and made 10 hits.
    He made hits out to 23 yards.
    He was being fired at.
    He was carrying AIWB.
    He was firing at 2 am in low light.

No dot according to tfbtv. Even more badass.

"It was loaded with Speer Gold Dot ammo and did not have a red dot sight, which makes BJ’s accuracy even more impressive."

EDC-BJ.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No dot according to tfbtv. Even more badass.

"It was loaded with Speer Gold Dot ammo and did not have a red dot sight, which makes BJ’s accuracy even more impressive.

According to the article you linked, "It was loaded with Speer Gold Dot ammo and had a Holosun reflex sight with a green reticle."

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Everyone should pay close attention to this part:

What we learn from this incident? I think the takeaway is obvious and lessons can be applied by any responsible CCW holder.

Training pays off. If you have solid shooting skills on the range, they do not magically disappear when you have to use your weapon in a self-defense situation.
    Practice situational awareness. If Tori did not notice the attackers, the whole story could have been different.
    Carry your weapon at all times, even when it seems unnecessary.
    Practice to ID targets before engaging them, good target discrimination helped BJ to avoid legal issues.

Perhaps his incident will go down in history as an example of how a prepared citizen can defend himself and loved ones and how remarkable shooting skills can make a difference in a self-defense situation.

This means, if you shoot regularly and/or proficiently by yourself, with your spouse, your kids, your friends; or partake in competitive shooting sports (USPSA, IDPA), or sit in your living room and dry fire at your TV, or all of the above; ahem; you can attain a skill set that is solid enough to defend yourself and your loved ones. Unless I missed it, it did not mention Mr. Baldwin taking lessons from a training expert (although his USPSA champion girlfriend is obviously no slouch on the range herself and may have taught him a few tricks)! And I am not against training with a so-called expert if that is your druthers. Just don't tell me I am less prepared because I don't!

As for the other bullet points, again; you can practice any of these and all of these at your own range, on your own time.

I will say, the number of rounds this guy says he shoots per range visit is off the chain! You would need some spare change in the bank to keep up with him. :mamoru:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Technically thats not a red dot unless of course you have a red/green colorblindness. :chuckles:

Touche.

This means, if you shoot regularly and/or proficiently by yourself, with your spouse, your kids, your friends; or partake in competitive shooting sports (USPSA, IDPA), or sit in your living room and dry fire at your TV, or all of the above; ahem; you can attain a skill set that is solid enough to defend yourself and your loved ones. Unless I missed it, it did not mention Mr. Baldwin taking lessons from a training expert (although his USPSA champion girlfriend is obviously no slouch on the range herself and may have taught him a few tricks)! And I am not against training with a so-called expert if that is your druthers. Just don't tell me I am less prepared because I don't!

As for the other bullet points, again; you can practice any of these and all of these at your own range, on your own time.

I will say, the number of rounds this guy says he shoots per range visit is off the chain! You would need some spare change in the bank to keep up with him. :mamoru:

Yeah...I wonder if blindly shooting behind him while running away was part of his training regimen.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

He has shot multiple times with Taran. I’m sure he’s picked up a few things.

Given how much he shoots, I wouldn’t doubt if he’s taken classes from multiple instructors.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is there any specific aspect of the incident you'd like to discuss?

I pointed out many points that go against what the general public choose to believe.

It completely disproves the 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds idea as well as that red dots will get you killed. The shooting was at distances that most concealed carriers don’t practice. It was also during low/no light.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    From my little inquiry, it appears the shooting started closer than 15yards. It was a lit parking lot so the lighting should have been sufficient enough to shoot without a WML. His statement after the shooting said he saw the guy smiling while pointing a gun their direction. I believe the guy starred shooting at his girlfriend first as well. 100% hit ratio is quite impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I pointed out many points that go against what the general public choose to believe.

It completely disproves the 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds idea as well as that red dots will get you killed. The shooting was at distances that most concealed carriers don’t practice. It was also during low/no light.

Red dots are great if you practice a lot with them. They are not for me because I’m not willing to put the time in to break 20+ years of habits lol. Maybe in time I will be willing to but not at the moment

Dboymboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Harvey LA
    Geez 4000 rds every time at the range. And he goes every other day. In the past 2 years I shot 10rds for ccw

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Red dots are great if you practice a lot with them. They are not for me because I’m not willing to put the time in to break 20+ years of habits lol. Maybe in time I will be willing to but not at the moment

I’m too old to change now. Hell..I don’t need a fiber optic front sight, I need Braille on it.

Top Bottom