Hide n go Seek

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If you had to choose between shootabilty vs ultra compact.... which would you choose?
    Of course, shootabilty equates to more weight and bulk and ultra concealability means more felt recoil and less accuracy.
    Sometimes life gives you choices and your're not sure what suits you better. You wish to have the best of both worlds but sometimes you just don't have that option and you have to compromise and maybe even settle for one thing.
    Which is it?

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Why not both?

Does *ultra concealability* mean deep carry or just that it’s concealed?

Ultra could be construed as deep carry but could just also mean regular concesl carry without the excess weight and bulk.
    Sometimes you just don't have the option or luxury to do both.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ultra could be construed as deep carry but could just also mean regular concesl carry without the excess weight and bulk.
    Sometimes you just don't have the option or luxury to do both.

There are only a few times when I can’t carry a full size pistol (17 + 1 rounds of 9mm). In those times, it’s typically due to attire. I’ve tucked a Glock 19 under a dress shirt, but it’s not the best solution. A Glock 43/43X/48 would be a better choice for concealment in that attire. That’s not something I do daily though.

I would rather have a full size pistol that I am proficient with, can draw easily, and have the larger capacity than something tiny with little capacity that will be more difficult and slower to draw.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I choose concealability. I daily Cary a p32 in a back pocket holster. Much easier than my xd40sc or 1911 10mm or even my makarov.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I prefer a sub compact. I have other options but I find it much more cumbersome to carry compact and full size guns. I much prefer my shield if it were a Glock 43 instead of a shield I would carry that over my compact and full size options. I’m not interested in pocket guns because generally they are too small for my hands and the lint that builds up iwb strong side is bad enough. I’ve concealed in suits and dress clothes and it works fine with a sub compact on the hip. But I feel like a stuffed sausage in that stuff so I avoid it as much as possible.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I don't have my CHP anymore, but when I did I had this same battle. The more compact my carry piece was, the more uncomfortable it was to shoot. This led to me taking it to the range far less often than I should have. The bigger it was, the less often I'd carry it with me. I bounced around from a Ruger LCR 38 to a Keltec PF9 to a Glock 19 and had quite a few in between.

I finally found a good balance with the Sig P238. It had enough weight to it where it was very comfortable to shoot with no pain in my hand after spending an hour at FITS. It was small enough to fit in a wallet holster that I had in my back pocket so it would fit in any pair of pants or shorts I'd wear. Of the dozen guns I had to carry, it was the one I carried the most.

Like everything in life, nothing is perfect. Everything will have its pros and cons and it's up to personal preference on what works best for you. If I were to get my CHP again, I might change my tune now that I'm older and my preferences have changed quite a bit over the years.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I guess it depends on your carry options.

If you plan to carry "on the hip", a slim gun with a shorter grip frame will hide the best, and you could have a longer slide for better shootability... I feel like the 43x is the best compromise for size/shootability. It is thinner than a 19, but still allows (me) for a full grip.

I do not see much point going to a duty (fullerish) size gun like the 19 now that the 43x / shield arms mag combo exists.

Now if you plan to carry appendix (like all of the cool kids do these days) you can get away with a larger gun (depending on your build of course)

I generally run a longer barrel gun appendix, as I can always claim that the barrel printing is my junk, and that usually gives me a boost of confidence. If I could find a suitable holster for the desert eagle i would appendix carry that, my confidence would be through the roof with that bulge!!!!

Top Bottom