SpaceX

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Anyone else watching the live coverage of the pre-launch SpaceX stuff? They just gave the go-ahead to launch today, as long as all conditions remain ideal. Liftoff should be at 3:33 pm our time.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I’m watching live. President is just arriving and things look like they are still a go though some nearby weather.

To me it is a big day and a chance to prove once again the importance of our country continuing and accelerating endeavors into space. It pays dividends in so many ways not only to forward spin off technologies, harness the power of freedom through public/private partnerships, but also a big part of making America great again. Exploration is part of our DNA as a people.

It’s a welcome sign that DNA has not only survived but flourished despite the naysayers and those who would deny it.

Hope it goes well and reignites that spark we once had and could have again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I’m watching live. President is just arriving and things look like they are still a go though some nearby weather.

To me it is a big day and a chance to prove once again the importance of our country continuing and accelerating endeavors into space. It pays dividends in so many ways not only to forward spin off technologies, harness the power of freedom through public/private partnerships, but also a big part of making America great again. Exploration is part of our DNA as a people.

It’s a welcome sign that DNA has not only survived but flourished despite the naysayers and those who would deny it.

Hope it goes well and reignites that spark we once had and could have again.

Well said, my friend! I'm very excited. Space exploration has fascinated me since I was a kid. Said some prayers for our brave Astronauts and hoping all goes as planned.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Definitely a lot *riding* on the success of this new system. Praying it all goes well. Still looks like something out of a video game. Not my dad’s astronauts. Suits look like some Hollywood costume maker designed them.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Damn! No launch today... Called off due to weather. Launch now scheduled for Saturday.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Really is odd looking in comparison to what we are used to isn’t it! I remember watching Star Trek and wondering how they could wear regular clothes in space. Here we are...

The cockpit is all touch screen, there is a contained emergency escape eject making it the safest spacecraft ever built, and the components are reusable and software upgradeable. Remember the old line about the Apollo capsule having the computing power of a calculator. The Falcon rocket has 160 times the computing power of even the Space Shuttle!

The launch will be taking place on pad 39A. This is intentionally the same pad that sent us to the moon and also launched many shuttle missions along the way. Exciting times... Gene Cernan would be proud. He actually told me that he believed this day would come again. He was right and I wish he was here to see it.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Gene’s comments when leaving the moon:

“As I take man’s last step from the surface, back home for some time to come – but we believe not too long into the future – I’d like to just say what I believe history will record: that America’s challenge of today has forged man’s destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17.”

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Gene’s comments when leaving the moon:
    *As I take man’s last step from the surface, back home for some time to come – but we believe not too long into the future – I’d like to just say what I believe history will record: that America’s challenge of today has forged man’s destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17.*

Awesome. This is all so exciting! Launch party at my place on Saturday!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I was watching it stream on YouTube while on a conference call. The call went over so I muted it and turned on the volume for the live feed just in time to hear they scrubbed it at t -16:00 something. I even got my wife watching it downstairs can't wait for Saturday to see if they can light that bangstick.

I really hope it goes off without a hitch and proves that we don't need to spend billions of dollars to send people to space safely.

Boeing Starliner 4.1 Billion+ seeing as they haven't even had a successful uncrewed launch test
    SpaceX 3.1 Billion and they are on the pad waiting for weather to launch a crewed module..... time to put old space on notice..... Looking at you SLS.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I just wish someone else was at the helm of SpaceX. Musk might be a visionary, but he is still frecking nuts. Look at what he just named his kid. Remember last year how he screwed the stock price of tesla by making a bad joke about 420.
    I remember watching the Gemini launches in school. That was a Big Deal, a TV in school. I hope most kids see this as a big deal & not cgi scify.
    I am so glad to see us back in space on our rocket, not on a Russian rocket.
    Tallwalker, how did you meet Gene Cerman?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I just wish someone else was at the helm of SpaceX. Musk might be a visionary, but he is still frecking nuts. Look at what he just named his kid. Remember last year how he screwed the stock price of tesla by making a bad joke about 420.
    I remember watching the Gemini launches in school. That was a Big Deal, a TV in school. I hope most kids see this as a big deal & not cgi scify.

I don’t know... visionary and kook seem to sometimes go hand in hand. I saw that we were paying the Russians 86 million a trip to hitch a ride. Don’t know if that is correct but has to be a better use of capital to invest in ourselves.

I met Gene at a wedding I attended some years ago. Got a chance to talk with him for a few minutes and was impressed with how humble of a guy he really was. He said “we are just a speck” an awful lot. I guess from his perspective he was in a position to know. Very disappointed that we had not returned to the space program in any meaningful way too. I’m not one that admires celebrity by any means, but he became an exception to me.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

A lot of times being "freaking nuts" turns into "visionary" :)

I'm a fan of Musk and of Teslas and SpaceX. We don't have too many people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and he definitely is one of those. His handling of the SEC and even of the COVID lockdown were both bold and hilarious.

I don't own a Tesla, but whenever battery technology improves I'd certainly consider one.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Elon does seem to channel the Mad Hatter quite a bit but damn the guy does things that no one thought possible and now it seems common place. I mean who thought we coudl bring the first stage of a rocket back to earth for re-use and now it is just another thing they do at SpaceX. I am also hoping that Starlink kicks land-based ISPs in the balls and makes them rethink their **** business decisions.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Elon does seem to channel the Mad Hatter quite a bit but damn the guy does things that no one thought possible and now it seems common place. I mean who thought we coudl bring the first stage of a rocket back to earth for re-use and now it is just another thing they do at SpaceX. I am also hoping that Starlink kicks land-based ISPs in the balls and makes them rethink their **** business decisions.

Agreed!

I'm ready for them to form StarFleet ;)

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Regardless off all that jargon, I’m just fired up to see this new era of U.S. Space Exploration. I think we can all agree that it is very exciting. I’ll be watching at home with my girl, the animals, and some good bourbon on Saturday. Where will y’all be watching history?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Regardless off all that jargon, I’m just fired up to see this new era of U.S. Space Exploration. I think we can all agree that it is very exciting. I’ll be watching at home with my girl, the animals, and some good bourbon on Saturday. Where will y’all be watching history?

Agreed, super excited!

@Dave/Bangswitch - Let's move the Tesla/Battery discussion to a separate thread...one of you can start it. I think this could be a good discussion.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    If you haven't seen it, below are some links to an inside view of the Dragon capsule. The next is a tour of the new space suite. When you guys said it looks like it came from Hollywood... it did! The guy in the video is obnoxious but it does give some close up views and info about the suit itself.

"The spacesuit was designed by Hollywood costume designer Jose Fernandez, who created the superhero costumes for Wonder Woman, Wolverine and Captain America: Civil War."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQX3zcpOojQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUKJ1fE9Dg

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Watching on the NASA channel so that I don’t have to listen to the talking heads. Sounds hopeful so far...

Top Bottom