Vortex vs. Nightforce

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcourv7

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 24, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    The age old question. Was curious to see what some others may say. I was looking between the Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56 vs. Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56. If you have used either or please do tell. It'll be riding on an AR10 running 6.5creed. It'll mostly see distance shooting up to 800yds sometimes but mostly just messing around on food plots that would maybe push 200yds. Any other optic options that are similar are welcomed, I'd like to learn of any competition these may face as they're the most prominent name. Thanks

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have the ATACR 5-25 and 7-35. The 5-25 will be more than capable of doing what you need.
    These NF ATACR scopes have great glass. Comparable with my Schmidts and you will not be disappointed.
    After experience with some of the vortex scopes (FFP pst to be exact), I will not be purchasing vortex again.

One I have not gotten my hands on yet to try is the NF NX8 4-32x50.
    It’s got the 30mm tube instead of the 34mm but us 10 oz lighter than the ATACR

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    I don't stock either scope.

Word from customers of mine: Vortex has a great warranty, but customers have been needing to use it more often than they would like. So, based on that experience, I would choose Nightforce over Vortex.

If you haven't already ruled it out, consider the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 x 56. Several customers have them and swear they are the best bang for the buck, shooting 6.5 out to 1,000 yards with them, consistently. I have one in stock with my preferred reticle (APRS1 - it is a modified version of the Horus) in mil/mil configuration - $1800 out the door, all taxes included.

George @ Armbruster Armory, LLC in Lafayette

rcourv7

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 24, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    Thank you both. The biggest highlight of Vortex from what I understand is the warranty and insane customer service. I will look into the options of NF and ill have to check out the Athlon. Thanks again

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For the most part, Nightforce is superior to Vortex across all lines. Even NF's lowest lines are great scopes (they really do not manufacture anything cheap along the lines of a Vortex Crossfire). However, Vortex Razors are in a whole other category to me. I believe they are Japanese like NF. I would consider Vortex Razors only very close the NF you mentioned. I would choose by the reticle you liked best.

Sort of the same thing about Vortex for the Athlon Cronus only, although I would buy the other two before it.

rcourv7

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 24, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    For the most part, Nightforce is superior to Vortex across all lines. Even NF's lowest lines are great scopes (they really do not manufacture anything cheap along the lines of a Vortex Crossfire). However, Vortex Razors are in a whole other category to me. I believe they are Japanese like NF. I would consider Vortex Razors only very close the NF you mentioned. I would choose by the reticle you liked best.

Sort of the same thing about Vortex for the Athlon Cronus only, although I would buy the other two before it.

I see where you're coming from. Its pretty obvious taking a step from a 1-6 crossfire and GIII Razor 1-10, especially obvious in price. I will continue poking around Athlon.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I like leupold and also the
    Steiner looks like a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DarkHorse07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Houston
    I don't stock either scope.

Word from customers of mine: Vortex has a great warranty, but customers have been needing to use it more often than they would like. So, based on that experience, I would choose Nightforce over Vortex.

If you haven't already ruled it out, consider the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 x 56. Several customers have them and swear they are the best bang for the buck, shooting 6.5 out to 1,000 yards with them, consistently. I have one in stock with my preferred reticle (APRS1 - it is a modified version of the Horus) in mil/mil configuration - $1800 out the door, all taxes included.

George @ Armbruster Armory, LLC in Lafayette

I have been doing a lot of research on the Athlon scopes for my next hunting rifle. I have been very impressed with what I have found on them and especially the price. Here is one of the reviews that really convinced me of their quality:
    https://www.snipershide.com/precisi...1k-ffp-long-range-scope-review-by-bigjimfish/

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Went with a Nightforce NXS for a .338 Lapua build and have zero regrets.

Top Bottom