Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 15 1211 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Tesla / Energy Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    A lot of times being "freaking nuts" turns into "visionary"

I'm a fan of Musk and of Teslas and SpaceX. We don't have too many people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and he definitely is one of those. His handling of the SEC and even of the COVID lockdown were both bold and hilarious.

I don't own a Tesla, but whenever battery technology improves I'd certainly consider one.
    The new Tesla roadster will do 0-60 in 1.9sec and tops out at 250mph. Let that sink in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by MOTOR51; May 28th, 2020 at 09:04 AM.
    Censored by "them"

Not Banned!!!

User Info Menu

If it wasn't for an apparent lack of parts availability to the regular joe, I would own a tesla. They are the only company bother to do anything meaningful in the electric car market.

I turned on the live feed in time to hear the cancellation. I will be watching on saturday. I applaud spacex for all that they do, making space accessible again, and having the sense to make the info and experience more available to the public.

Musk is just a funny guy. When he said he was "tripping balls" after the 1st falcon heavy launch, I had a good laugh. I can't stand the old guard, starched shirt, blow hard that pretended to be better than everyone else. Nice to have the company front man appear to be a person, even if he is a bit strange. At least he knows what he is talking about, and has a genuine desire to do more than just get rich.
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR51 View Post
    The new Tesla roadster will do 0-60 in 1.9sec and tops out at 250mph. Let that sink in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, it's insane. Even their new 'truck' outruns most modern sports cars...and it can tow over 10k.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's insane. Even their new 'truck' outruns most modern sports cars...and it can tow over 10k.
    Yes but unless he has invented perpetual energy itís stop will be frequent or lengthy. I donít want to be a curmudgeon on this one but unless itís powered by unicorn breastmilk itís near impossible it can do what they claim and the way they stacked the deck on the Fake tug-o-war they did should tell you something. Iím not opposed to battery powered cars per se but I use battery banks at camp and charging speed and demand are huge limitations.

The electricity required to power a monster that can tow 14,000lbs and weight 10,000lb for 500 miles is far more dangerous than an internal combustion engine.

But letís say you can comfortably and safely move 24,000lbs with 400HP (have fun).

But for kicks and giggles

400HPh = 298KWh (this is just a conversion)
    If you travel 500miles at 60mph thatís 8.33hours. So...
    298KWh x 8.33 = 2,483.33KWh

Now Iím a bean counter not an electrical engineer, but as mentioned I dabble in understanding electrical usage and requirements. And Iím assuming an average of 400HP demand on the motor.

Now the audience participation portion of the show, do me a favor and grab your most recent power bill, and report back your KWH usage and the price.

Now all that said I want them to figure out how to do it effectively and affordably because electric motors are friggin sweet and blisteringly fast, but Iím not counting on it.

But I like this guy because someone needs to do the things that people say canít be done.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; May 28th, 2020 at 01:30 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

They are still doing tons of research on battery technology to get better, smaller and more energy dense. But it is people like Elon who constantly push the boundaries that make these huge gains in technology.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Yes but unless he has invented perpetual energy it’s stop will be frequent or lengthy. I don’t want to be a curmudgeon on this one but unless it’s powered by unicorn breastmilk it’s near impossible it can do what they claim and the way they stacked the deck on the Fake tug-o-war they did should tell you something. I’m not opposed to battery powered cars per se but I use battery banks at camp and charging speed and demand are huge limitations.

The electricity required to power a monster that can tow 14,000lbs and weight 10,000lb for 500 miles is far more dangerous than an internal combustion engine.

But let’s say you can comfortably and safely move 24,000lbs with 400HP (have fun).

But for kicks and giggles

400HPh = 298KWh (this is just a conversion)
    If you travel 500miles at 60mph that’s 8.33hours. So...
    298KWh x 8.33 = 2,483.33KWh

Now I’m a bean counter not an electrical engineer, but as mentioned I dabble in understanding electrical usage and requirements. And I’m assuming an average of 400HP demand on the motor.

Now the audience participation portion of the show, do me a favor and grab your most recent power bill, and report back your KWH usage and the price.

Now all that said I want them to figure out how to do it effectively and affordably because electric motors are friggin sweet and blisteringly fast, but I’m not counting on it.

But I like this guy because someone needs to do the things that people say can’t be done.
    I agree that the claims do seem a bit high and your math seems to check out...but I can't really comment further. The tech sounds cool, but it's definitely not my area of expertise at all.

It'll be cool to see what happens.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrxfn View Post
    They are still doing tons of research on battery technology to get better, smaller and more energy dense. But it is people like Elon who constantly push the boundaries that make these huge gains in technology.
    Yeah there was a time a cordless drill had no power and no battery life. Now I can hang a small 12v drill on my hip and if last for hours and out preform the older much heavier.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

The technology is there.

Making it affordable is still years into the future.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I agree that the claims do seem a bit high and your math seems to check out...but I can't really comment further. The tech sounds cool, but it's definitely not my area of expertise at all.

It'll be cool to see what happens.
    Yeah. A good reference point for electricity. It takes 11 100w solar panels working 100% efficiency with no loss inverting it to 110vac to operate a microwave.

Im going to link their wall connector graph shortly.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; May 28th, 2020 at 02:30 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    The technology is there.

Making it affordable is still years into the future.

Affordable and effective.