Tesla / Energy Discussion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Tesla has sold around 1 million cars since 2012. I'm just not seeing it that their batteries are inherently more risky than a giant tank of gasoline. The fact that Tesla is generally regarded as being one of the safest, if not the safest car on the road says something about that.

You’re good with math and research feel free to compare violent explosions during vehicle accidents I don’t know what the results would be and I won’t hazard a guess. Don’t forget to weight the occurrences to number of gas vehicles on the road compared to electric.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I wonder who leads in car fires between Tesla and Lamborghini....or maybe it’s Ferrari cars I keep seeing spontaneously combust In traffic on those videos, Idk.

Edit: looks like it’s Lamborghini

dbf038d32b2d023c4171295ffb796f0c.jpg

7de0adea350c1b948baf77eeb4804e2a.jpg

1d6e93d8b0acfd481cc466d0b7376057.jpg

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You’re good with math and research feel free to compare violent explosions during vehicle accidents I don’t know what the results would be and I won’t hazard a guess. Don’t forget to weight the occurrences to number of gas vehicles on the road compared to electric.

From "The Guardian"
    There have been at least 14 instances of Tesla cars catching fire since 2013, with the majority occurring after a crash. The automaker has said its EVs are about 10 times less likely to experience a fire than petrol-powered cars, based on its fleet of more than 500,000 vehicles which have driven more than 10bn miles.Apr 22, 2019

So, as of last April, 14 vehicles have caught fire since 2013.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Safer? Potentially less likely to blow up? Probably not.

I don't really think either of us know. I'm speculating that Tesla likely has features in place where electricity can be safely dissipated in the event of a bad crash. Unlike gas, electricity can be pushed into the ground and not that risk to people who aren't right by it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    From "The Guardian"
    There have been at least 14 instances of Tesla cars catching fire since 2013, with the majority occurring after a crash. The automaker has said its EVs are about 10 times less likely to experience a fire than petrol-powered cars, based on its fleet of more than 500,000 vehicles which have driven more than 10bn miles.Apr 22, 2019

So, as of last April, 14 vehicles have caught fire since 2013.

That’s a good start to a statistical comparison.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I don't really think either of us know. I'm speculating that Tesla likely has features in place where electricity can be safely dissipated in the event of a bad crash. Unlike gas, electricity can be pushed into the ground and not that risk to people who aren't right by it.

That’s not how it works. I assume you are talking about grounding rods protect against lightning strike or a ground fault event. Electricity is always searching for the path of least resistance to ‘ground’ not necessarily the ground. On a dc circuit that is typically a chassis. On an automobile that’s the frame.

On an AC circuit the neutral is bonded in the meter base to a ‘ground’ which is an earth ground.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That’s not how it works. I assume you are talking about grounding rods protect against lightning strike or a ground fault event. Electricity is always searching for the path of least resistance to ‘ground’ not necessarily the ground. On a dc circuit that is typically a chassis. On an automobile that’s the frame.

On an AC circuit the neutral is bonded in the meter base to a ‘ground’ which is an earth ground.

Since you are a bean counter and not an Electrical Engineer, are you capable of telling us how a Tesla would dissipate stored energy?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Since you are a bean counter and not an Electrical Engineer, are you capable of telling us how a Tesla would dissipate stored energy?

Nope but I have a pretty good understanding of electricity. I was raised by a master electrician and he taught me a lot when I wasn’t fetching him parts or tools. I’ve been in and around the construction industry my entire life. Yes I can reconcile a checking account, audit, and make financial decisions but I can also wire a house build custom DC wiring harnesses and troubleshoot a fair amount of problems. I have no idea how you can safely transmit large amounts of electricity into the earth when the earth isn’t the ‘ground’ in a DC circuit. I’ll gladly let you tell me if you know.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    When lightning strikes, the earth is the ‘ground’ the electricity is searching for and wants to take the path of least resistance. The reason why you use grounding rods to prevent damage from lightning strike is you are trying to create a path that doesn’t go through the devices you are trying to protect.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Nope but I have a pretty good understanding of electricity. I was raised by a master electrician and he taught me a lot when I wasn’t fetching him parts or tools. I’ve been in and around the construction industry my entire life. Yes I can reconcile a checking account, audit, and make financial decisions but I can also wire a house build custom DC wiring harnesses and troubleshoot a fair amount of problems. I have no idea how you can safely transmit large amounts of electricity into the earth when the earth isn’t the ‘ground’ in a DC circuit. I’ll gladly let you tell me if you know.

Do Master Electricians know much about cars?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Do Master Electricians know much about cars?

Depends on your back ground. This one in particular spent the 80’s and early 90’s flying all over the country as well as Mexico and Canada working as a contractor for Delphi. He also spent a decade working maintenance on robotics. So yeah he’s the real deal.

When they sold the house I grew up in I was helping clean out his shop. I ran across a box with tons of Allen Bradley parts he explained back in the late 70’s he basically made an alarm system using relays and switches instead of a circuit board.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone in the BR area is welcome to test drive mine. You all haven’t even argued over the autopilot feature yet. I use autopilot on the highway 99% of the time.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Anyone in the BR area is welcome to test drive mine. You all haven’t even argued over the autopilot feature yet. I use autopilot on the highway 99% of the time.

I will 100% hit you up on that the next time I'm in town. What does yours do 0 - 60 in?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Who cares about autopilot when you’re apparently gonna explode!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

I’m not familiar with it. But in this day and age a Honda Accord can nearly drive itself so while I’m not ready to trust my life to that sort of tech most manufacturers are dabbling in bits and pieces of that world, and it’s a great safety measure for a fully conscious driver to utilize.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    In perspective a newer 5.0 mustang is in the neighborhood of 3.9 so 4.5 isn’t anything to be bashing unless you’re running around claiming it’s a rocket.

The difference is Teslas are kind of cool.

Mustangs are only good for busting up curbs :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom