Tesla / Energy Discussion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A gallon of gas in a Honda Civic or a rat rod with a blown big block?
    A gallon cost the same regardless what you put it in. That’s not the question though. If the S has a range of 340 miles you will use 115KWh to charge it. Look at your power bill tell me how many KWh you used last month estimate how much you drive and tell me how much your power bill should increase. The tell me how much that gas cost you. Then tell us if worth it to you to have a vehicle that requires a ‘special fuel source’ that limits your travel to places that can refuel it.

- - - Updated - - -

Right around 1200 kWh

Ok how many miles do you drive annually?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A gallon cost the same regardless what you put it in. That’s not the question though. If the S has a range of 340 miles you will use 115KWh to charge it. Look at your power bill tell me how many KWh you used last month estimate how much you drive and tell me how much your power bill should increase. The tell me how much that gas cost you. Then tell us if worth it to you to have a vehicle that requires a ‘special fuel source’ that limits your travel to places that can refuel it.

- - - Updated - - -

If I deducted the amount of gas per month and added the electricity, I would probably spend slightly less with the Tesla.

If 1000 kWh cost $100, that’s $0.10 per kWh
    If it takes 115 kWh to charge the Tesla, that’s $11.50 for a full charge.

Doesn’t seem too bad.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

- - - Updated - - -

So, I am around 11.35 cents / kWh.

Each full charge would cost about $13 dollars (for 340 miles).

Right now my vehicle gets 20 mph, which means I'd need 17 gallons of gas to travel 340 miles.

17*1.5 = $25.5 for the gas.

So it costs $12 more to use gas.

There are also some subsidies that can be had for having an electric vehicle, but let's not consider those for the moment.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Right now my vehicle gets 20 mph, which means I'd need 17 gallons of gas to travel 340 miles.

There are also some subsidies that can be had for having an electric vehicle, but let's not consider those for the moment.

Yea, even with Tesla giving an average of $0.24 / kWH, that would only be $27.60 to charge. That’s cheaper than most gas vehicles for similar mileage.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Has anyone here taken a ride in a Tesla? I did last year. The maxed out version at the time. A doctor I work with loves to show it off. But at the same time puts things into perspective. He didn’t buy it as a daily driver. I already understand that the internal combustion engine is a very inefficient design, electric motors are capable of spooling up to their potential way faster than the average gas engine (read massive torque here). The performance is astounding. But there are other electric vehicles and the only electric vehicles being discussed here are the balls out versions and somehow they’re being compared to daily driver gas powered vehicles. If you wanna compare a gas powered vehicle to the Tesla you’ll have to reach a little higher. Something way into the 6 figure price range (maybe 7?) that you’ll likely only get about 10-30k miles out of before its 10+ years old, caused you to go bankrupt or no longer viable. If you’re gonna compare electric cars to gas powered cars you might wanna research the true commuter and go with those stats.
    Btw, diesel electric. How do trains move all that weight ?

A very large diesel engine drives a very large dc generator which in turn drives several large dc motors connected to the drive wheels

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

There’s no road tax on your electricity either.

The question now is how does your 20mpg auto compare to the Tesla S?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    How many times do you fill up your car currently?

Well, right now during COVID really isn't a good example. But pre-virus, I probably get gas every three weeks unless I am making a road trip. I work from home for the most part and if I go places I often take an Uber as alcohol is often involved lol.

Electric cars don't make sense for road trips with the current technology. The time to re-charge the battery is too high.

For everyday driving, as long as you can charge it every night, you always wake up with a full battery at 100%, without ever needing to go get gas or top up.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If I deducted the amount of gas per month and added the electricity, I would probably spend slightly less with the Tesla.

If 1000 kWh cost $100, that’s $0.10 per kWh
    If it takes 115 kWh to charge the Tesla, that’s $11.50 for a full charge.

Doesn’t seem too bad.

Maybe but how does if compare to your current ride. My F150 averages 18-19mpg and has a range of about 450miles. The Tesla model S would be more efficient But so would a Focus

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No I’m being realistic how big is an auto that gets 20mpg my truck gets close to that a Tesla model S is a small car.

If a Tesla gets 300+ miles per full charge at $12 and a comparatively sized vehicle gets 300+ miles per full tank at $20, which is cheaper...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe but how does if compare to your current ride. My F150 averages 18-19mpg and has a range of about 450miles. The Tesla model S would be more efficient But so would a Focus

Why are you comparing a truck to a car?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No I’m being realistic how big is an auto that gets 20mpg my truck gets close to that a Tesla model S is a small car.

So, a few things. You don't just buy a Tesla Model S with the intention of saving money due to not using gas. Maybe with something like a Model 3 without adding any of the bells and whistles, but if you buy a Tesla, it's because you like that style of car, that level (cost) of car, and like electric.

In the long run, you will save money with gas, but it doesn't make sense to buy a Tesla solely on the premise of saving gas.

With that being said, I'm currently in the market for a vehicle in the $80 - $100k range. I'm not 100% sure what it will be just yet, but I have a few options, none of which are Tesla. Not really something I'm interested in until batteries can either hold substantially more, or can be charged much faster via the supercharger network.

I currently drive a mid-sized SUV which gets between 20 and 25 MPH.

I'll never buy a vehicle solely based on gas mileage, though. Gas is just an expense of driving. And I like nice cars.

I was looking at used Teslas a few days ago for fun and I saw a few used P100Ds with around 100k miles with an asking price of 60k. From my understanding they hold their value very well and can perform just as well and as long as a gas vehicle.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If a Tesla gets 300+ miles per full charge at $12 and a comparatively sized vehicle gets 300+ miles per full tank at $20, which is cheaper...

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you comparing a truck to a car?

I’m not thats my point you can’t compare something that size to a Model S. It’s not a fair comparison.

Your average car the size of a Model s gets way more than 20mpg. The new fusion hybrid boasts 43 city.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I’m not thats my point you can’t compare something that size to a Model S. It’s not a fair comparison.

Your average car the size of a Model s gets way more than 20mpg. The new fusion hybrid boasts 43 city.

But a Model S isn't comparable to your average car. You really need to compare it to Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and maybe Infiniti.

You aren't buying a Model S with the pure intention of saving money on gas, it's just an added perk.

Plus, most of the cars that it competes with don't get that great of gas mileage. We just got a brand new 2020 Benz and it only gets 28 MPG combined.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

See my first post.

If bang for your buck is a concern, Tesla isn’t the best option.

Still not sure what any of this has to do with your belief that they are dangerous.

But a Model S isn't comparable to your average car. You really need to compare it to Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and maybe Infiniti.

You aren't buying a Model S with the pure intention of saving money on gas, it's just an added perk.

Plus, most of the cars that it competes with don't get that great of gas mileage. We just got a brand new 2020 Benz and it only gets 28 MPG combined.

Correct.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So, a few things. You don't just buy a Tesla Model S with the intention of saving money due to not using gas. Maybe with something like a Model 3 without adding any of the bells and whistles, but if you buy a Tesla, it's because you like that style of car, that level (cost) of car, and like electric.

In the long run, you will save money with gas, but it doesn't make sense to buy a Tesla solely on the premise of saving gas.

With that being said, I'm currently in the market for a vehicle in the $80 - $100k range. I'm not 100% sure what it will be just yet, but I have a few options, none of which are Tesla. Not really something I'm interested in until batteries can either hold substantially more, or can be charged much faster via the supercharger network.

I currently drive a mid-sized SUV which gets between 20 and 25 MPH.

I'll never buy a vehicle solely based on gas mileage, though. Gas is just an expense of driving. And I like nice cars.

I was looking at used Teslas a few days ago for fun and I saw a few used P100Ds with around 100k miles with an asking price of 60k. From my understanding they hold their value very well and can perform just as well and as long as a gas vehicle.

We have mostly the same reasons for not wanting one. They are really cool and I do hope in the future it becomes more practical for travel and towing. If I could afford to have a bunch of vehicles I would likely have one because they are really cool. Its just not practical for most people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom