Riots of 2020

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When police with riot gear are walking down your street, it's best not to be anywhere other than inside your home.

"Stay inside" doesn't mean hang out on the porch and record video. They didn't get shot at with a burst from a Mk18. I laughed.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    they were WELL within their right to stay on their porch and ignore unlawful orders. The goofballs firing on them were acting outside the law and should be relieved of any duty, badge, and or status they hold in law enforcement.

If what we have seen is the totality of the circumstances, then I agree. But we haven't, and because of that I'm not going to pass judgment on that particular situation.

This is a lose-lose situation. I support the protestors' right to protest 100%, but when it escalates to violence and rioting and mob-like behavior, it puts the police (and the national guard, where they've been called out) in a terrible situation. Protestors that taunt the police and deliberately try to provoke a response are like putting a single round in a revolver, spinning the cylinder, and playing chicken with the trigger.

I have absolutely no plans to be anywhere near this. That is the best thing I can do for my safety, and the safety of my family.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    People have the right to peaceably assemble in protest. Things have escalated beyond that.

Taking a dump on top of a cop car is not peaceably assembling in protest.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If what we have seen is the totality of the circumstances, then I agree. But we haven't, and because of that I'm not going to pass judgment on that particular situation.

This is a lose-lose situation. I support the protestors' right to protest 100%, but when it escalates to violence and rioting and mob-like behavior, it puts the police (and the national guard, where they've been called out) in a terrible situation. Protestors that taunt the police and deliberately try to provoke a response are like putting a single round in a revolver, spinning the cylinder, and playing chicken with the trigger.

I have absolutely no plans to be anywhere near this. That is the best thing I can do for my safety, and the safety of my family.

Mike
    I gotcha, and I feel the same about where the situation is at this point. It’s pretty clear to me from the video that the people were minding their own business. I didn’t hear them say anything to the team passing through. I only heard the commands to get inside and then to light ‘em up (which I thought showed extremely poor judgement on the part of the offenders). The rest is not subjective. Didn’t look like the porch dwellers were moving in anyone’s direction or interfering in any way or doing anything that could have possibly been mistaken as interfering. Looks to me like the team saw some civilians and decided to engage. I doubt they had orders to engage peaceable parties on their own property nowhere near a riot area. I’m not expecting anything will be done about this incident, but I also don’t believe shooting paintballs was in any way excusable. It was pure stupidity.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    **** is about to get real

https://www.military.com/daily-news...tary-police-unit-dc-region-amid-protests.html

The Pentagon has ordered an active-duty battalion of military police soldiers from Fort Bragg, North Carolina to deploy to the Washington, D.C. area as the city braces for more violent demonstrations.

CNN was among the first to report the deployment order for between 200 and 250 MPs from Bragg. A Pentagon official confirmed to Military.com that the MPs are from the XVIII Airborne Corps.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    When police with riot gear are walking down your street, it's best not to be anywhere other than inside your home.

"Stay inside" doesn't mean hang out on the porch and record video. They didn't get shot at with a burst from a Mk18. I laughed.

I thought one of the things that bonded us as gun enthusiasts was our love for this country and how free it is. We would gladly stand up and defend the 2nd amendment but why wouldn't we stand up for the first? People have a right to protest and they have a right to be heard whether you agree with them or not.

What if this was a response to something you believed in? What if it were people you cared about who were just wondering what the heck was going on and were standing outside on their own property to watch the craziness? Would you still laugh?

I may not agree with the protesters (I certainly don't agree with the rioters) but I will defend their right to protest because God knows when a democrat is in office taking away our gun rights most people on this forum will want to go protest that.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    source.gif

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I thought one of the things that bonded us as gun enthusiasts was our love for this country and how free it is. We would gladly stand up and defend the 2nd amendment but why wouldn't we stand up for the first? People have a right to protest and they have a right to be heard whether you agree with them or not.

What if this was a response to something you believed in? What if it were people you cared about who were just wondering what the heck was going on and were standing outside on their own property to watch the craziness? Would you still laugh?

I may not agree with the protesters (I certainly don't agree with the rioters) but I will defend their right to protest because God knows when a democrat is in office taking away our gun rights most people on this forum will want to go protest that.

Protesters are fine. Rioters and looters are not.

They were told to get into their house multiple times. They were not protesting. I have no sympathy for them.

If you want to argue that your rights are under attack because of a short video with very little context, then by all means... you have the floor.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    LMAO! Looks like you hand picked one of the comments from that video. People are wearing masks in public right now for other reasons, and you’re describing one of the people in the video. There is a group of people there and they don’t all fit your description. BOTTOM LINE here is they were WELL within their right to stay on their porch and ignore unlawful orders. The goofballs firing on them were acting outside the law and should be relieved of any duty, badge, and or status they hold in law enforcement. There was absolutely no point in running those folks into their home except a vulgar display of force that was completely unwarranted. Clearly there was nothing going on down that street except for the convoy moving through from point A to point B. The spectacle was the group of guys wearing riot gear and toting guns through a residential neighborhood, parading through and feeling large and apparently wanting to engage an enemy so bad that they attacked the first civilians they encountered, at the door of their home. Anyone condoning or excusing that worries me. Anyone who does not see how wrong they were to fire anything at people on their own porch worries me.
    I don’t think this was ok either, but anyone can watch the video and decide the victim is a piece of trash and deserved it I guess..

https://youtu.be/gNh0p6S5dnQ

His mistake was talking ****. He created a no win situation. The cops could have left him to talk **** from his porch but they opened their mouths and talked **** back. They could have easily gave him the ‘have a nice day sir’ (which everyone knows in the proper tone and context means go f$$$ yourself you civilian a$$hole) and continued on with their day. But once they commanded him (constitutional or not I’m not touching it) to go into his house they really didn’t have a choice but to make him or arrest him.

Just the $.02 from a civilian a$$hole.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    His mistake was talking ****. He created a no win situation. The cops could have left him to talk **** from his porch but they opened their mouths and talked **** back. They could have easily gave him the ‘have a nice day sir’ (which everyone knows in the proper tone and context means go f$$$ yourself you civilian a$$hole) and continued on with their day. But once they commanded him (constitutional or not I’m not touching it) to go into his house they really didn’t have a choice but to make him or arrest him.

Just the $.02 from a civilian a$$hole.

Pretty sure I am repeating myself from the Sterling thread in 2016, but 9.9 times out of 10, if you don't want any problems with the 5-oh, just.... Wait for it.... COMPLY. Works for all races, creeds, colors, genders 99.9% of the time. And the .01 time it doesn't, the LEO is probably just a dick (as there are dicks of all races, creeds, colors and genders) and was looking for someone to hassle/beat/kill anyway. Hopefully, he'll pay for it via the legal system if that's the case.

The only Golden Rule we really need in this world... :deadhorse: Don't be a dick

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Pretty sure I am repeating myself from the Sterling thread in 2016, but 9.9 times out of 10, if you don't want any problems with the 5-oh, just.... Wait for it.... COMPLY. Works for all races, creeds, colors, genders 99.9% of the time. And the .01 time it doesn't, the LEO is probably just a dick (as there are dicks of all races, creeds, colors and genders) and was looking for someone to hassle/beat/kill anyway. Hopefully, he'll pay for it via the legal system if that's the case.

The only Golden Rule we really need in this world... :deadhorse: Don't be a dick

You’re gonna be called a bootlicker for using logic.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry

Walton & Johnson have been saying this for years. Comply... The New Drug to keep you safe.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Walton & Johnson have been saying this for years. Comply... The New Drug to keep you safe.

Exactly. If a group of cops in riot gear are telling me to go inside, why the hell would I want to stay outside and be more vulnerable to whatever is about to come - be it from them or from whatever they are going to? Setup a camera in the window, get a good video, crack open a beer, and relish in not being shot with a paintball lol.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Cops are the government!!! Cops sign up to enforce the laws of the government, not to protect the people. You can't even get away with your "individual bad actor" ********, there were FOUR cops there, 3 kneeling on the murder victim, that is not an individual bad actor. Maybe they caught the only 4 bad cops in existence at one stop:rolleyes:.

They’re employees of the government. If you take my money and don’t supply me with a holster, are leather craftsmen responsible, or are you responsible? If some kid working for McDonalds steals your TV, do you blame McDonalds? When AFFS took items on consignment, sold them, and didn’t give people their money, was it the fault of gun dealers or of George Peterson? When Stephen Paddock shot up a concert in Las Vegas, was it the fault of gun owners? Why not?

We live in a society based on individual rights, responsibilities, and culpability. What they did was outside of their mandate, which is why Derek Chauvin will be judged by a jury if his peers.

And why are you inserting points that aren’t there? I’ve never claimed that there wasn’t more than one bad actor involved or that there aren’t more bad actors out there. The point is, the actions of individuals who are evil, doesn’t make the entire system evil. It’s pretty straight forward, if you didn’t have such a raging erection to ferret out imagined ********, it wouldn’t have flown right over your head.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Lol yeah pretty much.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Eh, I would have worded it a bit differently, but this is correct.

I am not an advocate of boot-licking. I have absolutely no problem with police officers being held accountable to the strictest of standards, and officers that clearly and culpably step over that line should be punished to the full extent of the law. If that's how we treat the rest of the citizenry, then that's how we should also treat police officers.

But here's the catch: if an officer really and truly does step over the line, then it's going to be *far* easier to make the case in court after-the-fact, if the victim of police brutality didn't also escalate. The police operate under the auspices of having the monopoly on violence, and escalating with the police is only going to provoke more violence from them.

And the vast majority of police officers are really good people that want to do the right thing. I'm glad to see that a lot of police officers have stepped up and are marching in solidarity with the peaceful protestors. It's important that cases as egregious as this one get called out.

But the rioting and violence? That has as much to do with the death of George Floyd as does Chinese algebra.

Mike

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’m waiting for the traffic blocking arsonist to get hold of a abandoned 1/2 full tanker and get to work on it. It would be one hell of a show. I wonder if the tanker that ran through the wall of inhumanity was trying to avoid just that situation?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom