10mm carbines?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    thanks guys, i am a big 10mm fan. had a DW razorback in 10mm years ago. back then 10mm carbines were non existent, or custom built.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    thanks guys, i am a big 10mm fan. had a DW razorback in 10mm years ago. back then 10mm carbines were non existent, or custom built.

Fair enough.

If one is already invested in the caliber, it makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, and if I thought it bothered somebody just by having one, I’d get another one.
    I just wonder why anyone would worry about something that they don’t care about...

You should probably ask yourself that question.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Same here as far as being a fan. I bought the RIA 1911 when it came out. It was my first firearm in 10mm and it wasn’t long before the only ammo on the shelf or online was 10mm and was it ever cheap! I wasn’t buying any other ammo so I mopped up a slew of great deals and prices that I can’t touch today. Plenty of ball and HP’s in a few major brands. I bought a few thousand rounds because it was there and it was cheap. I pretty much believed I’d never shoot it all. I like the 1911 for that round and it’s a hoot from a longer barrel and nailing plates at 50-100 yards with a red dot.
    I have PCC’s in lever action and semi auto, 9mm, 10mm, 45, .357 mag, 44mag and I’m fond of them all. Two Marlin camp carbines and a Ruger 44mag carbine were my first autos and I still rock them at the range and in the woods or around the house to blast dillo’s or coyotes or even turtles in a pond. In short, I enjoy shooting them. I’m thinking that’s a huge part of gun ownership or at least it is to me. They’re just as fun to shoot as my M1 carbines or .22 rifles. From targets to varmint control and anything in between, they will fit the bill for me.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Same here as far as being a fan. I bought the RIA 1911 when it came out. It was my first firearm in 10mm and it wasn’t long before the only ammo on the shelf or online was 10mm and was it ever cheap! I wasn’t buying any other ammo so I mopped up a slew of great deals and prices that I can’t touch today. Plenty of ball and HP’s in a few major brands. I bought a few thousand rounds because it was there and it was cheap. I pretty much believed I’d never shoot it all. I like the 1911 for that round and it’s a hoot from a longer barrel and nailing plates at 50-100 yards with a red dot.
    I have PCC’s in lever action and semi auto, 9mm, 10mm, 45, .357 mag, 44mag and I’m fond of them all. Two Marlin camp carbines and a Ruger 44mag carbine were my first autos and I still rock them at the range and in the woods or around the house to blast dillo’s or coyotes or even turtles in a pond. In short, I enjoy shooting them. I’m thinking that’s a huge part of gun ownership or at least it is to me. They’re just as fun to shoot as my M1 carbines or .22 rifles. From targets to varmint control and anything in between, they will fit the bill for me.

My first gun was a Camp 9. I got a 9mm M&P 9FS after that and then the sickness hit and the armory has only grown. I tried to stay with consolidated calibers but got bit by wanting a 1911 so it expanded to 45ACP. I like all my guns but the AR9 is the most fun because it is a shorty and suppressed with subsonics it is a blast to shoot.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My first gun was a Camp 9. I got a 9mm M&P 9FS after that and then the sickness hit and the armory has only grown. I tried to stay with consolidated calibers but got bit by wanting a 1911 so it expanded to 45ACP. I like all my guns but the AR9 is the most fun because it is a shorty and suppressed with subsonics it is a blast to shoot.
    I think Marlin should bring back the camp carbine! Of course they’d prolly want a lot more than I paid for either of mine, but a revised model that accepts Glock mags would likely sell out if they didn’t overprice them.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Nothing in 10mm, but I do like my PCC’s 2ED1C022-EA5F-4231-A837-989148B907E9.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I could have suggested the pistol caliber pistol my friend recently bought, but it's not a carbine.

It meets all of the criteria except for the unnecessary barrel length the OP is wanting.

I guess that's pretty amusing to some of the folks around here.

EDB876AE-B31F-426B-A1C8-8C4DE61ADBDD.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I built my own and have had zero problems in 2 years. Anyone deciding to go this route, I highly recommend the Gibbz Arms upper set. And not just for the side charger.

Can you fill me in on why the gibbz upper is better than the NFA side charger upper? Or other uppers that would be compatible with 10mm/45acp?

I have a NFA regular rear charge LRBHO upper on my ar45. Using a Wolfpack 80% lower with it. Takes glock mags, and seems to work well with the Macon armory 45acp barrel, bolt and recoil setup that they sell as a kit.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have a TNW Aero carbine in 10mm and it's a good shooting rifle, takes glock mags, and no problems. Mine is also threaded and it's easy to take down for cleaning.
    You can also get kits for it to make it into a 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 9mm, 45acp and 45 Rowland.
    $199 to change it to 45 acp or Rowland, which just involves a barrel, bolt and magazine.
    More to change to 9mm, .40, .357 Sig since the magazines are smaller.

I have a 10mm pistol that I built from the 80% kit that TNW sell. Fun build, not for the 1st time builder. A lot of fun threading the front and rear holes on the receiver with the included "tap"... Also have a 9mm rifle with a 40cal setup from them. I was thinking of getting a 45acp bolt and barrel to finish up the set.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I just wonder why anyone would want a pistol caliber in a rifle.

Not all guns need to be serious tools for self defense or freedom retention!!! Someone on the board told me that years ago!!!

I see the point of the smaller "pistol caliber pistol" things that use an arm brace. More points of contact, so potentially more accurate. Easier to use a less expensive regular red dot than the pricey slide mounted units on a pistol. Pistol calibers are easier to suppress than intermediate calibers. Pistol ammo in mags is physically smaller (not any lighter than 223 though) so easier to carry.

Any pistol caliber carbine with a 16" barrel is a hard sell over a lighter-weight 223 ar, at least to me. 300BO in a 8" ar with a can is a great HD gun, but a 45acp ar with a can shoots much cheaper ammo and works as well at in-house distances.

I feel like most people just like to go plinking with a 9mm PCC. Nothing wrong with that, just not for me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not all guns need to be serious tools for self defense or freedom retention!!! Someone on the board told me that years ago!!!

I see the point of the smaller "pistol caliber pistol" things that use an arm brace. More points of contact, so potentially more accurate. Easier to use a less expensive regular red dot than the pricey slide mounted units on a pistol. Pistol calibers are easier to suppress than intermediate calibers. Pistol ammo in mags is physically smaller (not any lighter than 223 though) so easier to carry.

Any pistol caliber carbine with a 16" barrel is a hard sell over a lighter-weight 223 ar, at least to me. 300BO in a 8" ar with a can is a great HD gun, but a 45acp ar with a can shoots much cheaper ammo and works as well at in-house distances.

I feel like most people just like to go plinking with a 9mm PCC. Nothing wrong with that, just not for me.

My comment was in regards to the unnecessary length and weight of a pistol caliber carbine when there are a ton of options in a pistol caliber *pistol.* It didn’t really have anything to do with the purpose of the gun. Pistol caliber ammunition is typically designed around short barrels and even bunny fart 9mm can reach out to 100 yards. For fun factor, suppressing it makes sense. Suppressing a 16* carbine makes for a long firearm. So that again brings us back to pistol caliber pistols.

Most people I know with PCC’s either use them for competition or bought them before adjustable braces existed.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Or they like PCC SBRs with cans that are Hollywood quiet....... I wouldn't hesitate to use my AR9 for home defense over my pistol. It is just as accurate and holds more rounds than my M&P.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Or they like PCC SBRs with cans that are Hollywood quiet....... I wouldn't hesitate to use my AR9 for home defense over my pistol. It is just as accurate and holds more rounds than my M&P.

I lump PCC pistols and sbr’s in the same category.

Point being, with all the choices we have, I don’t see the point of a long barreled pistol caliber firearm other than meeting legal requirements in other states.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I lump PCC pistols and sbr’s in the same category.

Point being, with all the choices we have, I don’t see the point of a long barreled pistol caliber firearm other than meeting legal requirements in other states.

Oops lets chalk that comment up to a reading fail.....I see it now. If I wouldn't have done an SBR I probably wouldn't have the AR9 I don't want a 16" 9mm rifle although the Camp 9 was pretty good out to 50+ yards if not longer...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Oops lets chalk that comment up to a reading fail.....I see it now. If I wouldn't have done an SBR I probably wouldn't have the AR9 I don't want a 16" 9mm rifle although the Camp 9 was pretty good out to 50+ yards if not longer...

No worries.

With a 6* barrel and pistol ammunition, you’re not *losing* anything like you are with a super short barrel and rifle ammunition. The added length doesn’t really *help.* If I’m going to wield something the size of a musket, it might as well be a rifle caliber.

If it's a pistol caliber, I would want it to be a braced pistol or SBR

That’s what I was getting at, but apparently that offended some people.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Can you fill me in on why the gibbz upper is better than the NFA side charger upper? Or other uppers that would be compatible with 10mm/45acp?

I have a NFA regular rear charge LRBHO upper on my ar45. Using a Wolfpack 80% lower with it. Takes glock mags, and seems to work well with the Macon armory 45acp barrel, bolt and recoil setup that they sell as a kit.
    I never said the Gibbz was better than any other, I don’t have a NFA upper and I don’t recall comparing it to any other upper or kit. Did I? I only said the Gibbz setup is definitely worth checking out. When I built mine I had to search and do a lot of homework and there wasn’t a whole lot out there to choose from, but with about 4K trouble free rounds to date, I’d say it’s a win. If someone was curious where to start, my post might help steer them in a good direction.
    Did I read your post wrong? Did you read mine wrong?

Top Bottom