Join BayouShooter For Free

Marksman

User Info Menu

Police radio/scanner?

With everything going on lately I want to get a radio or scanner for police/fire. Preferably something portable. Is this doable for a non-leo? If so, what's the best one to get? I want to be able to hear everything local around me. Not really interested the the phone apps.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdavid1 View Post
    With everything going on lately I want to get a radio or scanner for police/fire. Preferably something portable. Is this doable for a non-leo? If so, what's the best one to get? I want to be able to hear everything local around me. Not really interested the the phone apps.
    That’s not something you buy off the shelf.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Almost every major department uses encrypted channels nowadays. There are good reasons (operational security) for the general public not having access to said channels.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Almost every major department uses encrypted channels nowadays. There are good reasons (operational security) for the general public not having access to said channels.
    Well said. Except for the smallest jurisdictions, everything law enforcement related is encrypted and cannot be monitored. A few departments, like NOPD, offer some of their dispatch unencrypted, and the phone apps capture them easily (and for free). If you buy a scanner, you're primarily going to get commercial two way radio traffic and air traffic.

Marksman

User Info Menu

That makes sense. So the LSP feed online is just dispatch?

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdavid1 View Post
    That makes sense. So the LSP feed online is just dispatch?
    Likely. To my knowledge, each Troop has its own dispatch channel and then there are additional talk, resource, etc. channels that can be accessed.
    “You pick up a gun to shoot to kill. Or you don’t pick up a gun.”

On Target

User Info Menu

So much of the frequency spectrum that you want to listen to has gone to encryption (scrambled) and without proper equipment it will be impossible to hear and understand the traffic. I don"t know if there are scanners that are available for the general public . Maybe someone with more knowledge will come foward and help.............................................. .....drill sgt.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I am retired but my issued Portable has 12 local channels for Livingston Parish Law Enforcement Agencies.
    Walker PD 1&2, Livingston Parish Coroner, Ward 2 Marshal, Springfield PD, Port Vincent PD, Livingston PD, Killian PD, French Settlement PD, Albany PD, Denham Springs PD 1&2.
    Last edited by JBP55; June 2nd, 2020 at 09:21 PM.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

If you hear of someone that will
    Program one, I might buy one, too. Gene 2259377008 Frogman on BS.
    Double action and decocker to left of hammer. Has new Meprolight night sights and new trigger spring. I bought it from a surgeon in Covington. Really take n care of.. It is like New. Sorry I am late answering you. I had to travel to Natchez. I'll be home tomorrow.