Police radio/scanner?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    With everything going on lately I want to get a radio or scanner for police/fire. Preferably something portable. Is this doable for a non-leo? If so, what's the best one to get? I want to be able to hear everything local around me. Not really interested the the phone apps.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    With everything going on lately I want to get a radio or scanner for police/fire. Preferably something portable. Is this doable for a non-leo? If so, what's the best one to get? I want to be able to hear everything local around me. Not really interested the the phone apps.

That’s not something you buy off the shelf.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Almost every major department uses encrypted channels nowadays. There are good reasons (operational security) for the general public not having access to said channels.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Almost every major department uses encrypted channels nowadays. There are good reasons (operational security) for the general public not having access to said channels.

Well said. Except for the smallest jurisdictions, everything law enforcement related is encrypted and cannot be monitored. A few departments, like NOPD, offer some of their dispatch unencrypted, and the phone apps capture them easily (and for free). If you buy a scanner, you're primarily going to get commercial two way radio traffic and air traffic.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    So much of the frequency spectrum that you want to listen to has gone to encryption (scrambled) and without proper equipment it will be impossible to hear and understand the traffic. I don"t know if there are scanners that are available for the general public . Maybe someone with more knowledge will come foward and help...................................................drill sgt.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I am retired but my issued Portable has 12 local channels for Livingston Parish Law Enforcement Agencies.
    Walker PD 1&2, Livingston Parish Coroner, Ward 2 Marshal, Springfield PD, Port Vincent PD, Livingston PD, Killian PD, French Settlement PD, Albany PD, Denham Springs PD 1&2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom