Workshop builders SWLA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I know this is mainly a greater NO area forum but was hoping some of the folks in SWLA could help me out.

Looking to get some quotes for a workshop building. I called Mallet and they are very proud of their buildings and it would take my entire budget plus some to get their 30x50 with no extras. Does anyone have any other recommendations for workshop builders here in SWLA that might be more reasonable?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I went through several diff company and mallet by far smoked everybody’s quote for my 30x62 shop with 2 roll ups and 2 walk through doors .. been having it for about 2-3 years and haven’t had one issue or complaint with it...

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Really? they wanted like 28K for a bone stock 30x50. Have they gone up that much since 2017? I had an ad from thrifty nickel or something and they were running around 16K. If I want to add a wing it goes up 10k I just don't think there is that much material in a wing.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I know you have to shop there specials... I think they put them in local magazines and Facebook... I got the following

30x62 26 gauge
    2-10x10 roll up doors
    Upgraded 14ft eves
    Gutters
    2- walk through doors
    4 36* windows
    Bubble insulation on sides and roof
    12’ gabel extension covered on the back side
    6* concrete

Think it was right at $31k give or take a couple hundred ,would have been cheaper if I didn’t have the extra roll up doors, walk through, insulation on roof and sides, gable extension also

The quotes I got for the same size shop and extras was around the following all installed of course, I think I have my itemized bill I had over $12000 just in cement for a 30x62x6*

Carport style 80 gauge box tube frame $37k including cement
    Galvanized perlins/beams 40k NOT INCLUDING CEMENT
    Red iron 44k NOT INCLUDING CEMENT

Pics were taken before they were finished with everything

Attachments

• 13DBDF5F-60EC-4FBF-B880-196B9F73BC39.jpg
      13DBDF5F-60EC-4FBF-B880-196B9F73BC39.jpg
      256.4 KB · Views: 86
    • 2C41067E-2F43-42CD-8511-75D18E8F90BD.jpg
      2C41067E-2F43-42CD-8511-75D18E8F90BD.jpg
      258.9 KB · Views: 68
    Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Need to pick up the periodicals and see if I can get a special. thanks.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Dont trust any company with a 40+ page contract to build a shop. They tell you that no verbal agreements will be honored and will tell you what you want to hear for the sale. I know some ppl had good experiences. I know too many that were screwed over. I'd shop Reed's or Ideal.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Depending on area/location you will prob have to have engineered stamped drawings for permits, I know quite a few I talked to didn’t offer that unless I wanted to pay another $1k for the plans... just somthing to think of, and also most of all require you to do sub/ground work prior to building.... move in dirt pad ect

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I know this is mainly a greater NO area forum but was hoping some of the folks in SWLA could help me out.

Looking to get some quotes for a workshop building. I called Mallet and they are very proud of their buildings and it would take my entire budget plus some to get their 30x50 with no extras. Does anyone have any other recommendations for workshop builders here in SWLA that might be more reasonable?

If you go with Mallet,You'll get it with no KY or Vaseline,Gud Luck

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Now I did hear about a year or two before I bought mine Mallet had a pretty bad customer service issue and building issue or something but I think they change management around the time I got my building, Like I said I had great experience with Mallet very friendly, fast and communicated very well throughout the whole build ... nothing was hidden everything that we signed was very well understood and explained and expected.... if I could do one thing all over again if you plan on bringing a vehicle in and out go with 12 x 12 doors.... I went with 10 x 10 and there’s not really a problem especially with putting a boat in just two extra foot would make a big difference and well worth the extra money to make it bigger

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Dont trust any company with a 40+ page contract to build a shop. They tell you that no verbal agreements will be honored and will tell you what you want to hear for the sale. I know some ppl had good experiences. I know too many that were screwed over. I'd shop Reed's or Ideal.

Yes with Mallet you do sign a good bit of paperwork but at the end of it it’s very clear what they’re giving you what you’re paying for what you’re getting what they’re doing and what they’re not doing leaves very little room to be manipulated on either end... and while filling out all that paperwork any notes that you and the seller agree on our road in and applied to the paperwork and no longer hearsay with the builders get there and don’t want to do something or say somebody didn’t tell him about adding this or that

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    It's your money. And like i said, i know ppl that have had no issues. But i know 1 guy that paid his deposit and was laid off the same week. He called to cancel and they kept more than $7,000 of his money. Keep in mind he sat with a salesman for a couple of hours. No building design, no engineered drawings, no materials ordered. $550 of it was because the receptionist answered his call and transfered him to a salesman.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    It's your money. And like i said, i know ppl that have had no issues. But i know 1 guy that paid his deposit and was laid off the same week. He called to cancel and they kept more than $7,000 of his money. Keep in mind he sat with a salesman for a couple of hours. No building design, no engineered drawings, no materials ordered. $550 of it was because the receptionist answered his call and transfered him to a salesman.

yea that’s sloppy business, I agree

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Well,Was the receptionist pretty?

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    if I could do one thing all over again if you plan on bringing a vehicle in and out go with 12 x 12 doors.... I went with 10 x 10 and there’s not really a problem especially with putting a boat in just two extra foot would make a big difference and well worth the extra money to make it bigger

100% agree with this. On our last building we went with the smaller door. Backing a trailer was a little tight but doable. The narrow doorway meant I was pretty much backing straight in...any movement of the trailer after that was by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Whatever you do don't do the bubble wrap insulation, eventually dries and cracks and pieces fall to the floor. I'd do spray foam or regular insulation. I'm having to tear out all my bubble wrap so they can spray foam. My shop is 30x30 and cost me 18K including concrete, but the frame is wood, outside metal. and its 13 years old now. I had it stubbed for plumbing when I built it and a couple of years later I wired it and install sink and toilet. Only thing I wish is that I had built it taller for a lift, and added a 10' extension. I have one 10x10 roll up door and one walk in door. No windows (keep nosey people from peeking in my shop or possible thieves)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom