ACOG Gov’t Buy-Backs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think that's a great deal. I don't see "government buy back" defined, but they look pretty worn in the photos. And without a mount. You can definitely get a legit ACOG for around $1000 brand new with a mount. Showing obvious wear, without a mount, and not knowing how old the tritium is, I wouldn't think that's a great deal for $600.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I don't think that's a great deal. I don't see "government buy back" defined, but they look pretty worn in the photos. And without a mount. You can definitely get a legit ACOG for around $1000 brand new with a mount. Showing obvious wear, without a mount, and not knowing how old the tritium is, I wouldn't think that's a great deal for $600.

This. They will still work but not worth that price. Especially without a mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anyone spending that $600 is most prolly gonna be sorry. When these were issued as tools they were likely well used abused. Typically reclaimed or resold government hardware is gonna be trashed. We aren’t talking government surplus, these are GI trade in or the equivalent. Picture some sandy skinned up M9 mags that you paid $10 each for and try to picture what it takes to create that look. Now picture someone throwing a dozen carbines into the transport In a nice pile and think about that optic being clamped on. I’m fairly certain anyone here selling a ground and pounded ACOG
    With no mount wouldn’t get $600 for it here.
    I picked up a demo a few years ago for not much more and it had a couple minor scuffs that could happen in the safe.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Now picture someone throwing a dozen carbines into the transport In a nice pile and think about that optic being clamped on.

I agree that they are likely not a good value but members of the military who rely on their weapons to keep them alive don't throw a dozen carbines into a nice pile in a transport for a number of reasons.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree that they are likely not a good value but members of the military who rely on their weapons to keep them alive don't throw a dozen carbines into a nice pile in a transport for a number of reasons.
    Yeah, I didn’t mean at the end of the day. When those rifles are no longer in service they aren’t exactly crated up in foam and sent back to the armory. Other than that, yes, they are beat to hell on a daily basis compared to anything any of us has in the safe at home.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah, I didn’t mean at the end of the day. When those rifles are no longer in service they aren’t exactly crated up in foam and sent back to the armory. Other than that, yes, they are beat to hell on a daily basis compared to anything any of us has in the safe at home.

They are put in crates for transport. Every branch of the military has transport crates.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were never in the military. Anything with a serial number that is issued is logged and signed out by the soldier, be it for a day or a year or the entire term of their military service. The ACOG would be recorded separately from the weapon. The service life of a rifle and of the ACOG and what happens to them after that service life is so different there would be a separate process in place for each one. While still in service, the rifles will be stored and transported in racks when not in the possession of the soldier to whom it was issued. When stored in the armory, the rifles are stored in racks. Some are cabinets with a door that locks. Some are racks with a bar that prevents the rifle from being removed. That bar fold down and has notches for a carry handle. That means any optics extending past where a carry handle would be would need to be removed to fit in the racks. The point is that the rifle and the ACOG are not one unit. They are not one item. They are separate items that can be used together. At no point would you see a pile of rifles with ACOGs attached being moved or stored anywhere. You might see a box of ACOGs once they reach the end of their service life but they won't be attached to rifles.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

gonna have to agree with the beat to **** part here. sometimes you have to eat some sand, even at a full sprint with a 50lb ruck, or maybe you gotta slam full body into that car to keep from falling over, or your vehicle is knocked on its side and everything tumbles.
    my unit was issued 4 acogs per platoon, 20 for the company. i think like 5 made it back undamaged.
    the aimpoints had a MUCH worse time of it tho. and we wont even talk about the an/peq-2.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were never in the military. Anything with a serial number that is issued is logged and signed out by the soldier, be it for a day or a year or the entire term of their military service. The ACOG would be recorded separately from the weapon. The service life of a rifle and of the ACOG and what happens to them after that service life is so different there would be a separate process in place for each one. While still in service, the rifles will be stored and transported in racks when not in the possession of the soldier to whom it was issued. When stored in the armory, the rifles are stored in racks. Some are cabinets with a door that locks. Some are racks with a bar that prevents the rifle from being removed. That bar fold down and has notches for a carry handle. That means any optics extending past where a carry handle would be would need to be removed to fit in the racks. The point is that the rifle and the ACOG are not one unit. They are not one item. They are separate items that can be used together. At no point would you see a pile of rifles with ACOGs attached being moved or stored anywhere. You might see a box of ACOGs once they reach the end of their service life but they won't be attached to rifles.
    You are correct. I was never in the military. I’ll change my statement if it will help you.

Picture those ACOGs on rifles that are being used in harsh environments daily and getting beat to hell and knocked around and biting the dirt, getting mashed between the operator and walls, the ground, asphalt, gravel etc.
    Hope this helps any potential buyers of an overpriced beat to hell optic to make a decision as to what they can accept for that $600 plus shipping before they get a harsh surprise when they open the box. As far as anything technical I may have missed or mistaken, just ask Perez and he’ll sort that out for you.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You are correct. I was never in the military. I’ll change my statement if it will help you.

Picture those ACOGs on rifles that are being used in harsh environments daily and getting beat to hell and knocked around and biting the dirt, getting mashed between the operator and walls, the ground, asphalt, gravel etc.
    Hope this helps any potential buyers of an overpriced beat to hell optic to make a decision as to what they can accept for that $600 plus shipping before they get a harsh surprise when they open the box. As far as anything technical I may have missed or mistaken, just ask Perez and he’ll sort that out for you.

You don't react well to being wrong. And there's no need to change anything. I have no doubt that people have a good idea those ACOGs weren't safe queens and likely aren't a good value.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I agree. I've seem them new from $800-$900. To add a good mount would be another $150. They are definitely in rough shape if the ad pictures look like that. Props to the retailer for presenting honestly though.

Classic Firearms would rate these Hand Select "Very Good" condition

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You don't react well to being wrong. And there's no need to change anything. I have no doubt that people have a good idea those ACOGs weren't safe queens and likely aren't a good value.
    Lol, wrong in your eyes? About what? And what you picked out of that has nothing to do with my point, which was to inform folks this ain’t a good deal. That’s very telling. I think it’s more a matter of you wanting to correct anything if you can find fault in anyone’s post. Or maybe just mine. I only say that because I see it almost daily. No worthwhile purpose whatsoever as far as I can see, but I’m sure it’s important to you to set the record straight. So, you think I don’t react well to being wrong and I think it’s more a matter of reacting to something else.
    So there’s that.

Oh wait, it’s so you can show us how knowledgeable you are. Is that it? That I could understand.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lol, wrong in your eyes? About what? And what you picked out of that has nothing to do with my point, which was to inform folks this ain’t a good deal. That’s very telling. I think it’s more a matter of you wanting to correct anything if you can find fault in anyone’s post. Or maybe just mine. I only say that because I see it almost daily. No worthwhile purpose whatsoever as far as I can see, but I’m sure it’s important to you to set the record straight. So, you think I don’t react well to being wrong and I think it’s more a matter of reacting to something else.
    So there’s that.

Oh wait, it’s so you can show us how knowledgeable you are. Is that it? That I could understand.

I agreed they weren't a good value as I corrected your mistake. Rather than just accepting you made a mistake, you doubled down. And you were wrong again. I corrected your mistake again while still agreeing they are not a good value. And again, you can't just accept it. You've got to respond and get the last word. So go ahead. The floor is yours.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agreed they weren't a good value as I corrected your mistake. Rather than just accepting you made a mistake, you doubled down. And you were wrong again. I corrected your mistake again while still agreeing they are not a good value. And again, you can't just accept it. You've got to respond and get the last word. So go ahead. The floor is yours.
    Well, ok. I’ll say this, you’re a lot better at arguing over absolutely nothing than I’ll ever be. I guess when you’re really into something you get really good at it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, ok. I’ll say this, you’re a lot better at arguing over absolutely nothing than I’ll ever be. I guess when you’re really into something you get really good at it.

vctinlhxhwglawj94lg.jpg

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom