Crawfish burner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My son moved to Tennessee for work. When he came down for Memorial Day, I gave him the crawfish burner my father in law made me 30 years ago. Who makes a good propane burner these days? I’ve never bought or used one other than the one I’ve always had. Thanks.

Jiggy205

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jun 10, 2014
    New Orleans
    Cajun cooker and luco makes some good ones. The regulator on any one you buy will only be 10psi. You will want to change it to a bigger one. I have a 180,000 btu takes about 15min from the time I cut the burner on to get to a raging boil on a 100qt pot. Lowes & Home Depot best bet

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I was given one of these about 8 years ago as a gift and it's done great.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/c...s/bayou-classic-sp2-double-propane-jet-burner

It's gotten a bit rusty/ugly but still works great. If you're mister money bucks you can always spring for the stainless steel version.

Once you go double burner you'll never go back to single!

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    just bought a cajun cooker last season on clearance, i do small batches(15lbs at a time) for various spice levels, and it has worked great for me.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the leads on cookers folks. There's some nice stuff out there. Much nicer than anything I've used before. I'm going to go look at the Bayou Classic stuff and see if it looks right to me. Thanks again.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I picked this one up from Academy years back.

There was a recall on the hose and regulator, so I swapped it out, but other than that it’s been good. If you buy a new one, it will have a good regulator. Most large stands bolt together, which I despise, so I had the frame welded together then recoated everything. It comes with a 100 Qt Pot and strainer. Perfect for 40 lb sacks.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I’ve used homemade stainless burners my whole life. My dad was a welder/instructor and plant worker. I think some of the best made burners and bbq pits come from the plants.

You can check out Goodwood hardware. They have a bunch of stuff. Also Shenandoah hardware has a lot of cooking stuff including burners.

https://www.goodwoodhardware.com/outdoor-cooking/burners/

https://edsshenandoahhardware1.com/1/

I don't have a burner but I know what you mean about the plants. My daddy worked at Ethyl. One of the welders asked him one day if he had a son. Daddy said yes and the next day I had a Stainless basketball goal and still have it about 60 years later

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I was given one of these about 8 years ago as a gift and it's done great.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/c...s/bayou-classic-sp2-double-propane-jet-burner

It's gotten a bit rusty/ugly but still works great. If you're mister money bucks you can always spring for the stainless steel version.

Once you go double burner you'll never go back to single!

I have the same one. I just have a small pot (40 qt) and it does freakin great.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't have a burner but I know what you mean about the plants. My daddy worked at Ethyl. One of the welders asked him one day if he had a son. Daddy said yes and the next day I had a Stainless basketball goal and still have it about 60 years later

When I was a kid, everybody’s dad worked either for a refinery, Kaiser, or on the docks. Most had been in ww2 or a few in Korea. Government work was a way of life. People made as much as possible and bought as little as possible. With one job, one car, one bathroom and a wife and 6 kids, that was the way they made it work, lol.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I have the same one. I just have a small pot (40 qt) and it does freakin great.

I think my pot is the 100 or 120 quart one. A friend got me the setup for my birthday one year mostly b/c he was tired of boiling them himself and felt someone else should. It does a whole sack and the double burner gets the water boiling fast.

Decided to go out to the shed and face the spiders to snap a pic of how the older burner has aged. As I said, it's ugly but still works fine. Forgot I picked up the 2nd burner a few years back. Had a big event to boil for and was doing them two sacks at a time. A friend lent me his pot but I needed a 2nd burner for it. No regrets the things work great!

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I think my pot is the 100 or 120 quart one. A friend got me the setup for my birthday one year mostly b/c he was tired of boiling them himself and felt someone else should. It does a whole sack and the double burner gets the water boiling fast.

Decided to go out to the shed and face the spiders to snap a pic of how the older burner has aged. As I said, it's ugly but still works fine. Forgot I picked up the 2nd burner a few years back. Had a big event to boil for and was doing them two sacks at a time. A friend lent me his pot but I needed a 2nd burner for it. No regrets the things work great!

Yeah mine gets my small pot going quickly. They told me It was good for much larger pot. But it was like 5$ more than the small burner so I upsized.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah mine gets my small pot going quickly. They told me It was good for much larger pot. But it was like 5$ more than the small burner so I upsized.

Smart man. Always by the bigger burner. You can regulate a big burner, but you can make a small burner bigger.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When I was a kid, everybody’s dad worked either for a refinery, Kaiser, or on the docks. Most had been in ww2 or a few in Korea. Government work was a way of life. People made as much as possible and bought as little as possible. With one job, one car, one bathroom and a wife and 6 kids, that was the way they made it work, lol.

Yep daddy was one of them. He went to work at Ethyl in 1940 and went in the military during WWII and then back to Ethyl and retired in the 70's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom