Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

“Pistol” foregrips. Tell me more

Need some insight/clarification on everything regarding the use of foregrips on pistols. Have a small Ak pistol and want to put some form of forward grip, either a nubby vertical or a hand stop type. However I’m unsure of the laws regarding the use of foregrips on a pistol.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker814 View Post
    Need some insight/clarification on everything regarding the use of foregrips on pistols. Have a small Ak pistol and want to put some form of forward grip, either a nubby vertical or a hand stop type. However I’m unsure of the laws regarding the use of foregrips on a pistol.
    Vertical Foregrips are a no go on pistols.

Angled foregrips and handstops are okay.

We are the hammer

User Info Menu

As usual Dave is right on the money. Adding a foregrip to a pistol makes it an AOW but the ATF has specifically said the angled foregrips do not count.

This is a very detailed right up if you wanted to read https://www.guntrustguru.com/can-i-a...15-pistol.html

Here are letters from the ATF about using the AFG on an AR Pistol https://imgur.com/a/LxC5ypg

This one has a very clear distinction https://i.imgur.com/SKIvSfo.png

For your information, Federal law currently does not define "Vertical Fore Grip"; however, ATF has determined that a grip of this type is distinguished by being both forward of the magazine well and oriented at a perpendicular (90-degree) angle to the bore of the weapon. The relative position for the grip around the weapon's bore would not change this determination.
    Last edited by Bosco; June 3rd, 2020 at 03:43 PM.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of the True North Designs Gripstop

Moving forward

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I'm a fan of the True North Designs Gripstop

I like the positive stop on the back side of it. Is it aluminum or polymer?

Don’t troll me bro!

User Info Menu

“Pistol” foregrips. Tell me more

Magpul AFG and most any hand stop are legal on the rifle pistols. For the mini AR’s or any that have a section of rail at least an inch long, Ergo makes a real nice rubber coated stop that is very....ergonomic. And LEGAL.
    Mount reversed for a sweet finger grab if preferred. 12 bucks here:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/ergo-gr...hand-stop.html

Last edited by Magdump; June 3rd, 2020 at 04:45 PM.
    Doesn’t play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have heard it before and not sure of legality’s... but I read that it clearly states no *vertical foregrip 90degree* is allowed on a pistol... so what about the *Bcm foregrip* that is actually 85degree angle

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
    I like the positive stop on the back side of it. Is it aluminum or polymer?
    It's aluminum. The ridges provide good traction. There are four variants; MLOK in the full size and K size and a 1913 version in full size and K size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchillin83 View Post
    I have heard it before and not sure of legality’s... but I read that it clearly states no *vertical foregrip 90degree* is allowed on a pistol... so what about the *Bcm foregrip* that is actually 85degree angle
    The BCM foregrip is marketed as a vertical grip, so most people don't chance it.

Having owned both, the Gripstop is more comfortable if you use a vertical grip like a handstop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Think the Bcm keg is good to, usually on my ar pistols I like the magpul mlok handguard, simply cause I can’t mentally use Bcm rail covers with magpul hand-stop... I know that’s my issue, so I like the magpul covers and hand stop... gives a good reference for grip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46ABDADE-F01A-4164-A67F-1218E45AE59D.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	95790  
    Last edited by Bigchillin83; June 3rd, 2020 at 06:27 PM.

Gunlover

Silver Member

User Info Menu

So what classifies an ak as a pistol ?

Barrel length ?
    Oal ?

I recently pulled the wire "stock" off of my AMD and it has 1913 rail on it now ...no stock . Does that make it a pistol ?
    16" barrel ..oal 26.5
    Last edited by BrandonPle; June 3rd, 2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Do or do not
    There is no try !
    Master Yoda