“Pistol” foregrips. Tell me more

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwalker814

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 11, 2014
    st charles
    Need some insight/clarification on everything regarding the use of foregrips on pistols. Have a small Ak pistol and want to put some form of forward grip, either a nubby vertical or a hand stop type. However I’m unsure of the laws regarding the use of foregrips on a pistol.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Need some insight/clarification on everything regarding the use of foregrips on pistols. Have a small Ak pistol and want to put some form of forward grip, either a nubby vertical or a hand stop type. However I’m unsure of the laws regarding the use of foregrips on a pistol.

Vertical Foregrips are a no go on pistols.

Angled foregrips and handstops are okay.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    As usual Dave is right on the money. Adding a foregrip to a pistol makes it an AOW but the ATF has specifically said the angled foregrips do not count.

This is a very detailed right up if you wanted to read https://www.guntrustguru.com/can-i-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-my-ar-15-pistol.html

Here are letters from the ATF about using the AFG on an AR Pistol https://imgur.com/a/LxC5ypg

This one has a very clear distinction https://i.imgur.com/SKIvSfo.png

For your information, Federal law currently does not define "Vertical Fore Grip"; however, ATF has determined that a grip of this type is distinguished by being both forward of the magazine well and oriented at a perpendicular (90-degree) angle to the bore of the weapon. The relative position for the grip around the weapon's bore would not change this determination.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm a fan of the True North Designs Gripstop

true-north-concepts-gripstop-standard-length-m-lok-r-6.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have heard it before and not sure of legality’s... but I read that it clearly states no *vertical foregrip 90degree* is allowed on a pistol... so what about the *Bcm foregrip* that is actually 85degree angle

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I like the positive stop on the back side of it. Is it aluminum or polymer?

It's aluminum. The ridges provide good traction. There are four variants; MLOK in the full size and K size and a 1913 version in full size and K size.

46005041034_e3617a99df_z.jpg

I have heard it before and not sure of legality’s... but I read that it clearly states no *vertical foregrip 90degree* is allowed on a pistol... so what about the *Bcm foregrip* that is actually 85degree angle

The BCM foregrip is marketed as a vertical grip, so most people don't chance it.

Having owned both, the Gripstop is more comfortable if you use a vertical grip like a handstop.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Think the Bcm keg is good to, usually on my ar pistols I like the magpul mlok handguard, simply cause I can’t mentally use Bcm rail covers with magpul hand-stop... I know that’s my issue, so I like the magpul covers and hand stop... gives a good reference for grip

Attachments

• 46ABDADE-F01A-4164-A67F-1218E45AE59D.jpg
      46ABDADE-F01A-4164-A67F-1218E45AE59D.jpg
      256.5 KB · Views: 217
    Last edited:

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    So what classifies an ak as a pistol ?

Barrel length ?
    Oal ?

I recently pulled the wire "stock" off of my AMD and it has 1913 rail on it now ...no stock . Does that make it a pistol ?
    16" barrel ..oal 26.5

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    As far as I understood once a rifle it’s still a rifle unless barrel length is modified under 16*.... remove the stock off of a rifle and just have a silly looking gun....

Barrel length ?
    Oal ?

I recently pulled the wire "stock" off of my AMD and it has 1913 rail on it now ...no stock . Does that make it a pistol ?
    16" barrel ..oal 26.5

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Barrel length ?
    Oal ?

16" barrel ..oal 26.5

It's a pistol when it was built as a pistol. Barrel shorter than 16", no stock.

If you removed the stock from your 16" barreled rifle, you now have a 16" barreled rifle without a stock.

If you replaced the 16" barrel with a 10" barrel, you now have a SBR.

SAM7Kai_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I understood once a rifle it’s still a rifle unless barrel length is modified under 16*.... remove the stock off of a rifle and just have a silly looking gun....

Correct.

Pistols can be rifles and back to pistols, but rifles can never be pistols.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    One other thing that has always stumped me is this... I have 4- t/c encores, i bought one as a complete lower with rifle stock, one bought as a stripped lower no stock or pistol grip, one bought as a complete rifle and one a complete pistol ... how come it is legal for me to swap the barrel on them assuming I take care of the stock end before install the shorter barrel and I can swap it back and forth from pistol to rifle to shotgun and back....and it is strongly encouraged and suggested by the manufacture and marketing department...

BUT I have heard it is illegal to swap a pistol ar lower to a rifle, even if you break the lower all the way down to stripped and rebuild it as a rifle with a rifle barrel or vise versa, I can’t strip down a rifle bought lower and make it a pistol.... I don’t see the diff the encore frame be it sold as a pistol, rifle, or stripped you can do what ever you want with it, same thing with several cva’s ect

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    It's a pistol when it was built as a pistol. Barrel shorter than 16", no stock.

If you removed the stock from your 16" barreled rifle, you now have a 16" barreled rifle without a stock.

If you replaced the 16" barrel with a 10" barrel, you now have a SBR.

SAM7Kai_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Correct.

Pistols can be rifles and back to pistols, but rifles can never be pistols.

Yes that’s why I have heard of several people buying a pistol lower and shooting any length upper and just utilize the brace and never change that, in doing so you are legal with a pistol lower from 6*-30* as long as you keep the brace on

jwalker814

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 11, 2014
    st charles
    Thanks! Yall have helped clarify my understanding. I had heard someone mention that VFG could be used if they met a certain length but that didn't sit well with me. On my rifles, I run Magpul RVG chopped in half as stops and prefer that grip style. Unfortunately, this little KS-47 is tiny and only going to get tinier once I install the 8" barrel so I wanted something more to grab onto.

I'm a fan of the True North Designs Gripstop

true-north-concepts-gripstop-standard-length-m-lok-r-6.jpg

Im liking that stop, may have to order one.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks! Yall have helped clarify my understanding. I had heard someone mention that VFG could be used if they met a certain length but that didn't sit well with me. On my rifles, I run Magpul RVG chopped in half as stops and prefer that grip style. Unfortunately, this little KS-47 is tiny and only going to get tinier once I install the 8" barrel so I wanted something more to grab onto.

Im liking that stop, may have to order one.

My only complaint is that I wished I had ordered one a long time ago when B5 Systems was still making them, because it would have saved me a lot of money spent on trying out other stuff.

Top Bottom