Looking for budget everyday conceal carry for larger hands

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lachutc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2020
    St amant, louisiana
    I'm a big guy 6'2 300... With very large hands... That's why I've always just open carried even with a concealed carry permit. But with the craziness of today's world..I'd rather not scream out "I'm carrying and handicapped gang up on the guy in a crutch and caring a gun first!!!"...so question is any compact handguns anyone know of, or at least small enough to fit in a iwb holster that will comfortable fit a larger hand? Would prefer .45, but also can't cost an arm and a leg.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm a big guy 6'2 300... With very large hands... That's why I've always just open carried even with a concealed carry permit. But with the craziness of today's world..I'd rather not scream out "I'm carrying and handicapped gang up on the guy in a crutch and caring a gun first!!!"...so question is any compact handguns anyone know of, or at least small enough to fit in a iwb holster that will comfortable fit a larger hand? Would prefer .45, but also can't cost an arm and a leg.

Is there any reason you are set on 45ACP over 9mm?

I'd recommend a Glock 19 or a M&P 2.0 Compact...or a Sig P365 XL. I carry the latter, but I am not 6'2 lol.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Try an old s&w 2nd gen. 469. 12 round mag (or 15 even), 3 3/4" barrel. Alloy frame so not too heavy. Fat grip.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    If you have large hands then something like a 19x would possibly carry easier than a fully size 17.

The 365 is too small for me, I wear an xl glove. Trigger reach is the issue, the trigger is just too far back close to the web of my hand. Just feels wrong.

Maybe something like the XDS in 45? Use a longer mag with a grip extender to help fit your larger hand? Or something like a 3" barrel 1911 with a regular (non officers) length frame? Those are not as cheap as the xds, but you can get it from rock islan or metro arms.

Glock 30 with an extended mag and xgrip extension would likely be the lightest.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not a budget option but magnum research has lightweight desert eagle now. They fit large hands well and 44mag is a good step up from 45acp..

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Is there any reason you are set on 45ACP over 9mm?

I'd recommend a Glock 19 or a M&P 2.0 Compact...or a Sig P365 XL. I carry the latter, but I am not 6'2 lol.

Yep why a .45? I'm about 6'4" or 5" and I carry a G19 everywhere. More rounds and easier to shoot and good ammo selections nowdays

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For a carry size pistol, I have yet to find a .45 ACP with a desirable capacity and size.

.45 Auto: If you can find one, Remington R1 1911 Double Stack, Springfield 1911 Double Stack. Not sure if Armsco still has a double. Para 1911 .45 DS - hard to find, expensive. There are some double-wide kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    .45 Auto: If you can find one, Remington R1 1911 Double Stack, Springfield 1911 Double Stack. Not sure if Armsco still has a double. Para 1911 .45 DS - hard to find, expensive. There are some double-wide kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you consider those to be "carry sized" then I'll stick with my Glock 34.

csg1027

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Metry
    If you're willing to go 9mm, I'd check out the Ruger Security 9. They run around $300. I have the compact version but there's a "full size" option also available. Mine has been great. I did have one FTE near the end of one range session with magtech ammo. Otherwise it's ran flawlessly for ~500 rounds. Great little shooter.

Top Bottom