Pickles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDuhe87

PADUE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Prairieville
    It's that time of the year again. Plenty of cucumbers and looking for a good pickle recipe. Never made them before so it should be interesting.
    Thanks in advance.

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    Very simple, but my family likes these. I usually use pint jars so you will need to revise accordingly for quarts, etc.

1 part vinegar to parts water and salt (i.e., 1 cup vinegar and 2 cups water, use 2 tablespoons of salt for every cup of vinegar). Bring to a rolling boil.
    Fill jars with cucumbers, 1/2 teaspoon Rouses pickling spices, half dried red pepper and a clove garlic.
    Pour boiling water/vinegar in jars to just below rim. Put lids and lightly screw on rims.
    Boil jars for 10 minutes in a pot of water (water should be just above jars). Take jars out and let cool after abut an hour or so check to make sure jars seal.
    Give them at least 5 days to soak, but properly sealed jars should last over a year.

Now these are not dill pickles, but we like them. I've never done dill pickles but have seen seasoning packs at Tractor Supply to make dill pickles.

I also do the same pickling for okra, onions, snap beans, bell peppers etc. Of course you can change ingredients for your taste.

I find my pickling seasoning at Rouses (Rouses brand) in the seasoning section, I also find the dried peppers at Rouses also.

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    Sorry I missed the 2 parts water in the first sentence, second paragraph. Should have been 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Pickles....now i do love me some dill pickles or old school home made bread and butter pickles (not store bought). but as far as cucumbers go have no use for them except for target practice on the range. ...........................................drill sgt.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I make a metric ton of them.
    4 kinds. Regular, Hot, Sweet, and Got and Sweet.
    Last year's batch was great so gave N4sir a jar.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I should say they are the easiest thing to can.
    My dad left me a large pot with the rack that makes it easy.
    They are cheap but free is free.

Top Bottom