Issues with auto ordinance m1 thompson

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bought this thompson about a year ago with 3 mags. The problem is, 2 out of the 3 magazines feed 1-2 rounds live rounds before the magazine drops out of the gun. Magazine appears secure each time before having the issue. 1 magazine works fine without issue.

Recently bought 2 more mags that lock in place but sit to low down to feed the snap caps in testing. Bought snap caps to test the issue but they seem to get stuck in barrel and refuse to extract. Tested the snap caps in another .45 pistol without issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, really trying to avoid sending it to a gunsmith if its something I can replace. Thinking it has something to do with magazine catch, will attach photos.

Attachments

• 20200302_224833.jpg
      20200302_224833.jpg
      192.8 KB · Views: 102
    • 20200302_224724_001.jpg
      20200302_224724_001.jpg
      226.7 KB · Views: 85
    • 20200302_224730.jpg
      20200302_224730.jpg
      215 KB · Views: 86

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The left mag is the working one, I hadnt touched them with a dremel, it's possible that someone else may have though.

I did try another Thompson mag someone had that wouldnt even lock in at all. The last two mags I bought seem to sit to low to feed. It maybe a hack job on the mags causing the issue, it's just weird they lock in perfectly fine and function for a round or 2.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm wondering though if those two magazines didnt fit originally and they tried to make them fit. Both of which are Seymour mags, the one that works is unmarked, so not really sure which one it is to try and match more to it.

Its frustrating, but atleast one mag works and I got it for a decent deal.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm wondering though if those two magazines didnt fit originally and they tried to make them fit. Both of which are Seymour mags, the one that works is unmarked, so not really sure which one it is to try and match more to it.

Its frustrating, but atleast one mag works and I got it for a decent deal.

Just take you're time,You're correct,The 2 Seymor mags have Bubba written all over them.

May have to tweek the fed lips to the correct angle,May have to slightly trim into specs.

No doubt who ever did the locking slots was hung-over like a dog.

Verbal Kint

I dunno
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hammond
    Bit rusty on these, but I believe Auto Ordnance/Kahr commercial production Thompsons use magazines that are different from those used by military production guns. As the mags that are causing problems are marked "Seymour" (think they produced military mags) the problem may just be a mag incompatibility issue - not a problem with the weapon itself.

Edit - did a little internet digging. Looks like the difference in the magazines is the hole for the mag catch. Supposed to be round for the commercial models, oval for military. (Second edit- recently had the opportunity to examine a commercial Auto Ordnance Thompson and its magazines. Think my internet source had it backwards - oval slots appears to be commercial, round are military).One site had info indicating that the commercial mag catch could be swapped for a military one so that military mags would work (they are cheaper). Can't vouch for that tho.

Last edited:

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bit rusty on these, but I believe Auto Ordnance/Kahr commercial production Thompsons use magazines that are different from those used by military production guns. As the mags that are causing problems are marked "Seymour" (think they produced military mags) the problem may just be a mag incompatibility issue - not a problem with the weapon itself.

Edit - did a little internet digging. Looks like the difference in the magazines is the hole for the mag catch. Supposed to be round for the commercial models, oval for military. One site had info indicating that the commercial mag catch could be swapped for a military one so that military mags would work (they are cheaper). Can't vouch for that tho.

Yeah, that's kinda what I head read, but thought the Seymour mags were commercial. I had considered swapping the catch, but appears the be a pain and want to exhaust all options before then. Kinda wondering why the snap caps werent ejecting when cycling through rounds.

Verbal Kint

I dunno
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I do know that Seymour Products was a WWII era manufacturer of Thompson mags., but it wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that there are modern repos marked "Seymour." Can't say why the snap caps are hanging up, but, as you have a mag that is running without issues, I'd bet the problem is just the other magazines. I'd say find an original Auto Ordnance factory mag and see how it runs. In any event, best of luck figuring it out. I've shot a few Thompsons over the years and they are a lot of fun. Have one on my short list (or at my age "bucket list") of firearms to acquire.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    its a used gun?
    i seem to remember the earlier models had issues with the mag release/catch, iirc there is an aftermarket one that is a supposed fix.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I do know that Seymour Products was a WWII era manufacturer of Thompson mags., but it wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that there are modern repos marked "Seymour." Can't say why the snap caps are hanging up, but, as you have a mag that is running without issues, I'd bet the problem is just the other magazines. I'd say find an original Auto Ordnance factory mag and see how it runs. In any event, best of luck figuring it out. I've shot a few Thompsons over the years and they are a lot of fun. Have one on my short list (or at my age "bucket list") of firearms to acquire.

Yeah I've always wanted one and have got s few opportunities to shoot a fa one. Wasnt planning to buy one, but happened to run across it at a gun show for a good deal. I'm going to try and order a factory mag next payday and see if that's the issue.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have an AO Tommy Gun that I purchased new.

Other people have already correctly identified your magazine issue.

I'd just like to add my experience with mine.

It was a jam-o-matic for the first 500 rounds.

The very first time I loaded it, it jammed so bad I needed to pry a cartridege from the reciever.

After 500 rounds it began to run. It's flawless now.

I think a lot of people get frustrated and sell them before they are broken in.

They are also amazingly accurate.

If it wasn't so heavy, it'd go to the range more often.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

The very first time I loaded it, it jammed so bad I needed to pry a cartridege from the reciever.

i really wanted one when they first started redoing them. but after all the issues, and the "worse than keltec break in" i had to pass.
    ive fired 2 full auto ones, red jackets, and a rental in vegas. they shoot so smooth and are so controllable.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yeah it doesnt jam much, and tends to run right when it works. I'm sure that had a lot to do with why I got the gun for under 1k with 3 mags and a gun bag. Even if I dont necessarily get any other mags to work, no plan to get rid of it, awesome gun to shoot. Like you said the weight is about the only thing that's a downfall.

If I can get it running right I plan to make it an sbr with a true length barrel

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom