defunding police and early retirements

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree. No way LEOs can be equipped to deal with every problem society has.

Money for military surplus would likely be better spent on ways that help the addicted and those with mental issues.

The military surplus comes through a grant. The $400K armored vehicle didn't cost BRPD anything to get. The money for military surplus isn't as much as you might think. You can see what been given and to whom.

https://www.dla.mil/DispositionServices/Offers/Reutilization/LawEnforcement/PublicInformation/

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Overall, it's money that would be better spent elsewhere in order to reduce crime, likely to help those mentioned earlier so they don't become a LEO problem.

Do police need armored vehicles? Maybe a little more than I need a Ferrari to go to work.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Overall, it's money that would be better spent elsewhere in order to reduce crime, likely to help those mentioned earlier so they don't become a LEO problem.

Do police need armored vehicles? Maybe a little more than I need a Ferrari to go to work.

Do believe armored vehicles have no purpose in Law Enforcement?

I would rather police be equipped to handle serious issues rather than fund drug treatment programs.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

How much money do you think is being spent on military surplus? Some gas and maybe some preventative maintenance. But that money would be spent on whatever vehicle was put in that role. If there's no military surplus, many departments would likely spend money on something less effective, pulling even more money from the budget.

The issue isn't the military surplus. The problem is looking at addiction and mental health as legal issues. They are health issues and should be talked about under the Department of Health.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Do believe armored vehicles have no purpose in Law Enforcement?

I would rather police be equipped to handle serious issues rather than fund drug treatment programs.

Deal with stuff that is a constant/daily problem for society or buy neat stuff that gets used once in awhile?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    How much money do you think is being spent on military surplus? Some gas and maybe some preventative maintenance. But that money would be spent on whatever vehicle was put in that role. If there's no military surplus, many departments would likely spend money on something less effective, pulling even more money from the budget.

The issue isn't the military surplus. The problem is looking at addiction and mental health as legal issues. They are health issues and should be talked about under the Department of Health.

I agree, but the money has got to come from somewhere and as much as we pay for military equipment, that money might be put to better use.

I'm not for disarming the police, but there are a lot of people really looking for a change to be coming. I think it is coming, it's better to find a path forward than to just let it happen (not saying you are wanting this, just in general).

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I saw articles today about Minneapolis defunding their police department. I saw discussions in Los Angeles and NYC doing something similar. Another report shows 600 officers retiring/ leaving in NYC.

Anything similar happening in the south?

What would happen if NOPD had a sudden mass retirement? They don't have enough officers as is.

You mean to tell me we’ve been funding police departments?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I agree, but the money has got to come from somewhere and as much as we pay for military equipment, that money might be put to better use.

I'm not for disarming the police, but there are a lot of people really looking for a change to be coming. I think it is coming, it's better to find a path forward than to just let it happen (not saying you are wanting this, just in general).

There are MANY things that could be defunded and have zero impact on life as we know it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

The federal government buys new equipment for the military. The old equipment in now not needed by the military. Either that equipment goes to local law enforcement when it can be used if needed or it goes somewhere like Sierra Army Depot where it sits unused. There is little to no funding from local law enforcement going to silly stuff like armored vehicles and military equipment.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The federal government buys new equipment for the military. The old equipment in now not needed by the military. Either that equipment goes to local law enforcement when it can be used if needed or it goes somewhere like Sierra Army Depot where it sits unused. There is little to no funding from local law enforcement going to silly stuff like armored vehicles and military equipment.

I believe it.

Point being which is a better use of the equipment; let it rot in the desert or equip the local guys with at little to no extra cost to either government. Sounds like a very federalists idea to me.

I will admit the optics to an outsider looking in might be bothersome particularly when guys like Alex Jones spend the 8 years while Obutthole was in office claiming the ‘feds’ are arming the locals so the locals will ‘do their bidding’. Occam’s Razor.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Do tell then. Maybe you're one of those that would just prefer to have them 'put down' in order to save those $'s?

No, I’m not going to derail this thread so you can impose your opinion on others.

Make a separate thread if you want to argue about drug rehabilitation.

Agreed. There is so much waste it’s sad. But when it’s not your money care-free spending becomes much easier.

A lot of wasted funds in unusual places.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    No, I’m not going to derail this thread so you can impose your opinion on others.

Make a separate thread if you want to argue about drug rehabilitation.

A lot of wasted funds in unusual places.

Marble floors, mahogany desks. Administration buildings for entities like Centralized public school districts and State run Colleges will usually give you an idea of how your tax and/or tuition dollars are spent. Big elaborate fire stations in rural areas where no one actually mans the station. Of course they want you to re-up the emergency milage increase (meant for safety gear and firefighting equipment) every time it comes up but hey those are mighty fine stations.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Doing away with police forces doesn’t mean people won’t be protected. It’s just that the only people who will be protected will be those that can afford it or neighborhoods that organize. It’s a way of widening the gap between the haves and have nots, and a big step towards the anarchy they seek.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Here's an idea. If we are talking reform, how about the end the total and absolute failure that is the war on drugs?
    The prison system and judicial system makes too much money from the war on drugs to stop. So do police departments. It also spawned a lot of jobs on the federal and local level. Add to that asset forfeiture and highway theft/piracy from drug dealers and the general law abiding public and whatever the righteous wind up spending in attempts to reclaim their stolen funds and property and we are talking billions upon billions of dollars. Think Hindu here for a sec. ain’t nobody killing no cash cows here any time soon.

Top Bottom