Body armor question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    So with everything going on I've been carrying my plate carrier in the truck with me lately along with my rifle. This got me thinking about if I were to have to use it and what that would look like to a first responder. I want to be immediately recognized as the good guy to anybody just showing up to the situation. I have a blue line patch and a Louisiana patch on my vest, but I have some SHERIFF patches from my dad who is a retired Sheriff. They are just black with gold "Sheriff" lettering.

Seems like that would be a great "good guy" designator, but at the same time I am not a Sheriff. So would that be considered impersonating an officer?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd say you were violating A(1).

LA R.S. 14:112.1. False personation of a peace officer or firefighter
    A. False personation of a peace officer or firefighter is the performance of any one or more of the following acts with the intent to injure or defraud or to obtain or secure any special privilege or advantage:
    (1) Impersonating any peace officer or firefighter or assuming, without authority, any uniform or badge by which a peace officer or firefighter is lawfully distinguished.
    (2) Performing any act purporting to be official in such assumed character.
    (3) Making, altering, possession, or use of a false document or document containing false statements which purports to be a training program certificate or in-service training certificate or other documentation issued by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training, pursuant to R.S. 40:2405, which certifies the peace officer has successfully completed the requirements necessary to exercise his authority as a peace officer.
    (4) Equipping any motor vehicle with lights or sirens which simulate a law enforcement vehicle.
    B. As used in this Section:
    (1) "Badge" shall mean a device or emblem, regardless of the material of which it is made, worn as an insignia of rank, office, or membership in a law enforcement organization, including but not limited to those that bear the seal of the state of Louisiana.
    (2) "Firefighter" means any certified first responder as defined in R.S. 40:1231, certified emergency medical technician as defined in R.S. 40:1231, or any firefighter regularly employed by a fire department of any municipality, parish, or fire protection district of the state of Louisiana, or any volunteer fireman of the state of Louisiana.
    (3) "Peace officer" shall include commissioned police officers, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, marshals, deputy marshals, correctional officers, constables, wildlife enforcement agents, park wardens, livestock brand inspectors, forestry officers, military police, fire marshal investigators, probation and parole officers, attorney general investigators, and district attorney investigators.
    C. Whoever commits the crime of false personation of a peace officer or firefighter shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars, imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years, or both.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I’m thinking no markings representing yourself as something you are not and acting like a “good guy” should be a good start. A “yes sir” and “no sir” with you hands clearly visible in a non threatening manner probably wouldn’t hurt.

Hard to imagine a situation where you have on full kit and “have to use it” and then John Q Law rolls up and doesn’t know who the good guys are? Keeping the terrorist cell pinned down while John Q Law goes bounding around the fire fight?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It seems that the original question was answered.

I have a few follow up questions...

In what situation would you put on your plate carrier and grab a rifle?

Do you leave it in your truck when you aren't in your truck?

Do you leave your rifle in your truck? Is it concealed in a bag?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You were ok until the Sheriff emblem came up. I’d think that the others might get you detained, arrested and jailed, maybe even charged with impersonating an officer In certain circumstances, but if the prosecution relied on the patches alone, I’m thinking you would walk. After you spend a bunch of money of course.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Get a custom made patch that says "GOOD GUY" lol. That should do it.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have some experience in the "Sheriff" and "Police" shirt marketplace. I've been selling them on Amazon for about 4 years and have gone through the legal review with them. The short story is, in most places you would be fine wearing a "sheriff" decal as long as you don't claim to be an officer. In a few counties across the US they have specific ordinances about wearing such a shirt but the legal opinion is they wouldn't hold up against a challenge.

Essentially, just displaying the word "POLICE" on a shirt isn't enough to prosecute you for impersonating. Maybe you're just a fan of the band?

With that said, I wouldn't recommend it and would never wear a shirt or emblem like that.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have some experience in the "Sheriff" and "Police" shirt marketplace. I've been selling them on Amazon for about 4 years and have gone through the legal review with them. The short story is, in most places you would be fine wearing a "sheriff" decal as long as you don't claim to be an officer. In a few counties across the US they have specific ordinances about wearing such a shirt but the legal opinion is they wouldn't hold up against a challenge.

Essentially, just displaying the word "POLICE" on a shirt isn't enough to prosecute you for impersonating. Maybe you're just a fan of the band?

With that said, I wouldn't recommend it and would never wear a shirt or emblem like that.

Wearing a t-shirt with police on it to taco bell is one thing. But in a shtf scenario, wearing body armor with police or sheriff on it, particularly while armed, so that the good guys will recognize you as a good guy is wearing an emblem identifying you as a member of law enforcement with the intent to secure a special privilege. One does not need to claim to be a police officer to be impersonating a police officer.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    just curious... I assume the situation where you end up on foot means your vehicle is disabled. Have you worried about being seen as LEO by the crowd (the one that probably disabled your vehicle in the first place) at all? They're not exactly LEO friendly... That's not going to make you popular.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    It seems that the original question was answered.

I have a few follow up questions...

In what situation would you put on your plate carrier and grab a rifle?

Do you leave it in your truck when you aren't in your truck?

Do you leave your rifle in your truck? Is it concealed in a bag?

1. I don't know the situation, hopefully never. Just being a little more prepared after watching these riots and looting.

2. I go to work and home. Stays in the truck at work. I bring all things of value inside when at home.

3. I leave them both in the truck in a locker box under the back seat.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    just curious... I assume the situation where you end up on foot means your vehicle is disabled. Have you worried about being seen as LEO by the crowd (the one that probably disabled your vehicle in the first place) at all? They're not exactly LEO friendly... That's not going to make you popular.

No, I actually have not thought of that. That's a very good point.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Why not carry a larger tee shirt and just put it over the carrier. Something with a design and color that would break up the outline of the carrier. And behave like a good guy.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    1. I don't know the situation, hopefully never. Just being a little more prepared after watching these riots and looting.

2. I go to work and home. Stays in the truck at work. I bring all things of value inside when at home.

3. I leave them both in the truck in a locker box under the back seat.

I would urge you to consider how you would deploy both the rifle and the carrier while in or exiting a vehicle under stress.

It might be better to just have a pistol on your person at all times. Getting out and running around with an AR immediately paints a target on a person, both to good guys and bad guys. A concealed pistol doesn't do that.

Top Bottom