Posting a pic of thief legality?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    My boss had a theft from the back of a customers pickup. He has a decent pic of the perp and the pickup.
    Can I post this on a public forum like Bayou Shooter without fear of legal or civil blowback?
    He is wearing a t shirt with an AR. What an insult to us responsible folks.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My boss had a theft from the back of a customers pickup. He has a decent pic of the perp and the pickup.
    Can I post this on a public forum like Bayou Shooter without fear of legal or civil blowback?

Have you or your boss contacted the local police?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

I'd recommend asking the police if they think this is a good idea or not. If they have a clue who the guy is already, they might not want their case getting muddled up.

Was the value of the item signficant enough where it'd be appropriate for a social media style post?

I personally don't care if you post anything here, but I cannot make any promises regarding the legality of it or whether you could be sued by anyone as a result of it. As always, anything posted online, anywhere, is posted at the poster's risk.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    This theft was a roll off copper wire worth $200 ish.
    Before the cameras were installed it was a gasoline powered Miller welder/generator.
    My boss is handling this and being the elder of the bunch I was trying to help.
    Dave, I'll have to inquire if he contacted the police.
    My feeling is this activity escalates until curtailed.
    Thank you for the interest and advice.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well, considering news stations show footage and pics of thieves in the act all the time I don’t see how it’s illegal to do so. You might run into trouble if you stated the thief was a particular person along with the picture or video unless it had already been proven.
    I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have anyone in a rush to complain about you posting their image in public if it was of them committing a crime.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Upon further review posting the pic with a "person of interest" note would be the more cautious route. Thanks for your replies.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m no attorney, and you can be sued for anything no matter how stupid, but I have to agree so long as you don’t say something like ‘this guy stole...’ I would imagine any sort of defamation/slander suits would likely be non-starters for most any attorney. And I would doubt the Shooter would have enough reach to prejudice an entire jury pool.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

So bud,Where's the pict of the gentlemen of interest?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    The shop owner posted the pic on the on Dannys Automotive Abita Springs and wouldn't you know a shop owner on the South Shore called him. Apparently they had a history and he needed to bury the hatchet.
    LEO was called. They reviewed the video which showed the perp with the spool of wire in his hand and also pulling on door handles trying to open vehicles. They know the guy. He lives within a mile. Apparently he must know he is busted because the rims in the video are now off of his truck.
    My boss is a much better mood today.
    Sorry about the face but just having paid for some minor legal work I realize and cant afford any legal/civil nonsense.
    i-WkPxZ2M-M.jpg

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I clearly see how disbanding the cops and taking their money, guns and jobs away from them would help this situation.... I think the democrats are on to something here.... lol

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I posted a Ring video of a guy stealing my kids bike, clear face shot, and got some very positive results. It got passed around Facebook and Neighborhood until some random on FB called his buddy the JP and said "I'm sending you this video from Facebook, this guy's name is Steve Reeves". JP followed it up and a separate officer found the bike on a call out for a stolen adult bike. Apparently Steve got tires of riding my 8 yo's bike and stole the first adult bike he could find. It was nearly miraculous given the return rates for bicycles and the amount of GAF that the JPs had.

Sent from my hand-held NSA monitoring device.

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I clearly see how disbanding the cops and taking their money, guns and jobs away from them would help this situation.... I think the democrats are on to something here.... lol

You are so right! And I want to say: I think those idiot Demoncrat states might try that - and fail - but I doubt it will happen down here. We just haven't given in to the godless policies of the Left like they have in the Democrat states. Even in the heavily Demoncrat cities like NOLA, the red states are still in control, at least for now.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Remember in the aftermath of Katrina when the NOPD were scattered ... who roamed the streets armed robbing and burning stores ... I Remember !
    The thugs didn't get put down until the National Guard came into town and took the city back by force .

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks to the STPSO I can post the pic. It's public now. Of course he is considered innocent until proven guilty. Multiple charges related to multiple business's.
    i-k7jPM5G-L.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks to the STPSO I can post the pic. It's public now. Of course he is considered innocent until proven guilty. Multiple charges related to multiple business's.
    i-k7jPM5G-L.jpg

Haha!! You couldn’t paint a bigger or more perfect frown on a person!
    He sure does favor Bret Farve! I bet that’s his brother!

Lol, I kid.
    Makes me giddy when a thief gets busted.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Since the theft at our shop a neighbors unoccupied mobile home has been broken into at least four times. The not so surprising thing is the owners are related to this fellow. His vehicle is pretty distinct and it's never been spotted on our street. This is verified by my camera at my front gate.
    At least this has presented the opportunity to meet the officers who work this neighborhood.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Since the theft at our shop a neighbors unoccupied mobile home has been broken into at least four times. The not so surprising thing is the owners are related to this fellow. His vehicle is pretty distinct and it's never been spotted on our street. This is verified by my camera at my front gate.
    At least this has presented the opportunity to meet the officers who work this neighborhood.

He's still an ugly mofo......lol

Top Bottom