Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

NOPD Evidence Room

So, I recently discovered that my pistol was discovered in New Orleans after it was stolen from my truck almost 2 years ago. Naturally, I got all the paperwork needed (basically just proof of purchase) and headed to NO. Well, they have to run a background check on you to give you your own gun back that you already had a background check for. And after explaining to the lady that I had a CCP and it is a more in depth background check than she will run, she still said I have to wait up to 14 days for it to go through. Does this make any sense to anyone? Does anybody know any way around it? Are they just looking to see if i may or may not have gotten a red light camera ticket and may or may not have paid it?

P.S. The cops won't call you to tell you they have recovered your stuff. I Had to call them. They recovered it 10 months ago.

Marksman

User Info Menu

It's New Orleans. I'm surprised they didn't sell it.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Did you give them the serial number when it was stolen? What were the circumstances that led to them finding it? Was it put on the books as evidence or as property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Target

User Info Menu

Yep. just be glad that they admitted to having it. Would have thought that it would have sproutted legs and disappeared or some officer taken it for their own use. New Orleans is in a world of their own and they don"t care about the rest of the state or world. Stay on their butts and do not let them blow you off. .................................................. ............drill sgt.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

New Orleans is a 3rd world banana republic.

You're one of the Lucky ones!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

LEO

User Info Menu

You could have picked up a disqualifying charge in the time since you reported it stolen, and maybe your CCP has been suspended but you still have it in your wallet to wave around. These are the things that they have to consider before turning over a firearm, so don't begrudge them having to cover their ass by running a fresh check. It's checking a box for them that says "we didn't give a gun back to a domestic abuser who shouldn't have had one," avoiding future black eyes in the press.

Like others said above, be glad that's the only run-around you're getting. Someone always has some horror story about (N)ot (O)ur (P)roblem, (D)ude. It's a shame, because I know some stellar guys that work for them, but they do seem to have more than their fair share of disappointments. To carry on professionally amidst that environment speaks volumes for the ones that put in the good work every day.

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

Wait until you see how meticulously they have cared for and maintained your fine firearm.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

sportsman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gooser View Post
    So, I recently discovered that my pistol was discovered in New Orleans after it was stolen from my truck almost 2 years ago. Naturally, I got all the paperwork needed (basically just proof of purchase) and headed to NO. Well, they have to run a background check on you to give you your own gun back that you already had a background check for. And after explaining to the lady that I had a CCP and it is a more in depth background check than she will run, she still said I have to wait up to 14 days for it to go through. Does this make any sense to anyone? Does anybody know any way around it? Are they just looking to see if i may or may not have gotten a red light camera ticket and may or may not have paid it?

P.S. The cops won't call you to tell you they have recovered your stuff. I Had to call them. They recovered it 10 months ago.
    You will also have to get a release through the D.A. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. Then they will do Ballistic testing on it and record the results for future use. IF you ever get it back Don't ever do anything Dirty with it because they will know where the bullet came from.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Typical New Orleans. If tourist knew how screwed up that city was, they would never visit the place. Take the French Quarter out of New Orleans, and all you have left is a dirty city.
    The greater majority of my vast fortune I've spent on women whiskey & weapons......The rest, I just pissed away.

If you find yourself in a fair gun fight; your tactics suck !

"The only easy day is yesterday."

Guns don't kill people; cell phones do!

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EJAIII View Post
    Typical New Orleans. If tourist knew how screwed up that city was, they would never visit the place. Take the French Quarter out of New Orleans, and all you have left is a dirty city.
    Actually, the French Quarter is the dirty part of the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk