NOPD Evidence Room

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gooser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    So, I recently discovered that my pistol was discovered in New Orleans after it was stolen from my truck almost 2 years ago. Naturally, I got all the paperwork needed (basically just proof of purchase) and headed to NO. Well, they have to run a background check on you to give you your own gun back that you already had a background check for. And after explaining to the lady that I had a CCP and it is a more in depth background check than she will run, she still said I have to wait up to 14 days for it to go through. Does this make any sense to anyone? Does anybody know any way around it? Are they just looking to see if i may or may not have gotten a red light camera ticket and may or may not have paid it?

P.S. The cops won't call you to tell you they have recovered your stuff. I Had to call them. They recovered it 10 months ago.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Did you give them the serial number when it was stolen? What were the circumstances that led to them finding it? Was it put on the books as evidence or as property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Yep. just be glad that they admitted to having it. Would have thought that it would have sproutted legs and disappeared or some officer taken it for their own use. New Orleans is in a world of their own and they don"t care about the rest of the state or world. Stay on their butts and do not let them blow you off. ..............................................................drill sgt.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    You could have picked up a disqualifying charge in the time since you reported it stolen, and maybe your CCP has been suspended but you still have it in your wallet to wave around. These are the things that they have to consider before turning over a firearm, so don't begrudge them having to cover their ass by running a fresh check. It's checking a box for them that says "we didn't give a gun back to a domestic abuser who shouldn't have had one," avoiding future black eyes in the press.

Like others said above, be glad that's the only run-around you're getting. Someone always has some horror story about (N)ot (O)ur (P)roblem, (D)ude. It's a shame, because I know some stellar guys that work for them, but they do seem to have more than their fair share of disappointments. To carry on professionally amidst that environment speaks volumes for the ones that put in the good work every day.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    So, I recently discovered that my pistol was discovered in New Orleans after it was stolen from my truck almost 2 years ago. Naturally, I got all the paperwork needed (basically just proof of purchase) and headed to NO. Well, they have to run a background check on you to give you your own gun back that you already had a background check for. And after explaining to the lady that I had a CCP and it is a more in depth background check than she will run, she still said I have to wait up to 14 days for it to go through. Does this make any sense to anyone? Does anybody know any way around it? Are they just looking to see if i may or may not have gotten a red light camera ticket and may or may not have paid it?

P.S. The cops won't call you to tell you they have recovered your stuff. I Had to call them. They recovered it 10 months ago.

You will also have to get a release through the D.A. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. Then they will do Ballistic testing on it and record the results for future use. IF you ever get it back Don't ever do anything Dirty with it because they will know where the bullet came from.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Typical New Orleans. If tourist knew how screwed up that city was, they would never visit the place. Take the French Quarter out of New Orleans, and all you have left is a dirty city.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Typical New Orleans. If tourist knew how screwed up that city was, they would never visit the place. Take the French Quarter out of New Orleans, and all you have left is a dirty city.

Actually, the French Quarter is the dirty part of the city.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So a police department should just hand a firearm to someone without making sure that person doesn’t have a recent restraining order, or has recently been convicted of a crime barring him from ownership? The department shouldn’t do a ballistics test on a stolen firearm that might have been used as a murder weapon? Im not seeing the problem. What problem I do see is people continuing to leave their firearms in their vehicles unsecured. I know it will be considered “victim blaming” but it happens a few times a night minimum where I work. These guns are used to commit crimes and I would hate to know my unsecured firearm was used to kill an innocent person in a robbery. It’s too easy to bring it in or if that’s not possible at least take the free gunlocks and secure it around the seat mounts. Not many car burglars Carry wrenches and bolt cutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gooser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Did you give them the serial number when it was stolen? What were the circumstances that led to them finding it? Was it put on the books as evidence or as property?

It was stolen out of Baton Rouge. I gave BRPD the serial number about 2 hours after filing the police report since I didn't have it on me. This was on 1-7-19.. I called back about 4 months later to see if they had found it and they told me the serial number never made it into the file!!! So, i gave it to them again. So? I called BRPD last monday, almost a year and a half later, and asked again if they found it. The guy on the phone said "no, they would call me if they had found it". I asked him to look into the case # anyway because they didn't even have the serial number for it last time i called.. Turns out it was recovered 8-31-19.. New Orleans PD had it but it was a LSP case.. After getting transferred to 5 different police stations/troops I finally found the answers.. The gun was listed as "evidence" but where it said "accused " on the file was listed as unknown.. The cop that made the arrest called me a few hours later and asked ME how to change it from evidence to property.. all i know is some guy had it, cops got involved and the guy took off running and left the gun.. He said he didn't need it anymore and he's glad im getting it back.. That was LSP.. NOPD on the other hand is a real mess to work with. Man, that was way too long to type on a phone.

Gooser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    You could have picked up a disqualifying charge in the time since you reported it stolen, and maybe your CCP has been suspended but you still have it in your wallet to wave around. These are the things that they have to consider before turning over a firearm, so don't begrudge them having to cover their ass by running a fresh check. It's checking a box for them that says "we didn't give a gun back to a domestic abuser who shouldn't have had one," avoiding future black eyes in the press.

Like others said above, be glad that's the only run-around you're getting. Someone always has some horror story about (N)ot (O)ur (P)roblem, (D)ude. It's a shame, because I know some stellar guys that work for them, but they do seem to have more than their fair share of disappointments. To carry on professionally amidst that environment speaks volumes for the ones that put in the good work every day.

My CCP has the approved date as 5/26/20.. But i supposed I could have really screwed up in the last 2 weeks.

Gooser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana

You will also have to get a release through the D.A. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. Then they will do Ballistic testing on it and record the results for future use. IF you ever get it back Don't ever do anything Dirty with it because they will know where the bullet came from.

The DA was actually the one that ultimately got me set up with the correct LSP troop. Everything is cleared. Just waiting for a background check.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    What a sad story.. I cringe every time I hear of a gun or really anything that has been stolen . I have personally had a custom knife stolen, and just happen to also be a moderator on the maker's forum. I long for the day someone joins with questions about the particular knife.. lol
    I do not think NOPD is really the only ones to not have a strong custodial concern with items , We are just local them them.. I am surprised anyone even bothered to actually look it up..

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010

Just because a person passed the background check to get your CCP, it does not mean that they did not commit a crime after. They have to make sure you are still clear to own the firearm.

Twoball701

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2016
    Hammond, LA
    Mine was also stolen from Baton Rouge area and recovered in New Orleans......almost 4 years ago .....They still got it ....Saying it has to be held for evidence in a Federal Court Case.......

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom