M1 Garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I bought a new stock for my M1 Garand from CMP probably 5 or 6 years ago. The stock is not a one size fits all and needs to be customized for the rifle to fit properly. I am not brave enough to do it myself. Any recommendations for a gunsmith that does this type of work? I'd love to start shooting my M1 again. It's been a long time just sitting there.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    I bought a new stock for my M1 Garand from CMP probably 5 or 6 years ago. The stock is not a one size fits all and needs to be customized for the rifle to fit properly. I am not brave enough to do it myself. Any recommendations for a gunsmith that does this type of work? I'd love to start shooting my M1 again. It's been a long time just sitting there.

Have you tried? I bought one around the same time for my woodless Dane and it was a press fit.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My 5-55 dated all #s correct CMP collector grade is very tight. Need a rubber hammer to get trigger group in.
    It is a like new gun..

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Contact James Brossett at elicustom@centurylink.net

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    It’s not hard. You just have to go slow. CMP forum should have a Few threads on it.

I posted one above. Als o tight is good. Or a t least that is what they say at CMP.
    Mine needs a rubber hammer bad but shoots better than I can.

gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    I would try Mr John Thompson in Thibodaux military trained done two of mine 1(706)615-5303 Thank you David

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Did you give him a call yet ?He might be at the Kenner Gunshow this Saturday at a table.

I did yes and he explained how to remove a little wood. Before I did that I was reading on the CMP forum again. They all said do not remove wood it needed a good smack with a rubber hammer. I was afraid I would break something but it worked. I read the wood needs time to compress and it shouldn't be as hard again. I will leave it alone for a couple months then strip and clean before shooting it.

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    It’s really not that hard to fit the stock. The problem with some of the new stocks is that they can be a little thick in places. I cleaned one up that was almost a quarter of an inch thicker on one side at the front of the stock.

I sent this rifle to Garand Guy last year to have it completely redone and a new barrel.
    1D510B1B-CE46-42FB-816F-F7AFDBA967DF.jpg

It came back looking pretty good.
    AA9EE814-D6D7-4B49-9832-39A0A2CCEF5E.jpg

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    That's a beautiful rifle Candyman they did a damn good job on it. I really want to pick up a Garand but I try not to buy guns I know I won't shoot. It would be nice just to have a piece of American history though.

Top Bottom