Louisiana CHP & Constitutional Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrapperT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Sulphur,La.
    All the training in the world can't fix stupid.

If a person is to respond accordingly to fear and unexpected trauma,they
    have to be broken down and rebuilt.I have never seen a military personnel
    fail any of those things very often after training.

Basically the instructor needs to clear the mindset of the class and start
    at the beginning. JM2C

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    If there are requirements, it is not Constitutional carry.

In LA, there are no requirements for open carry, and IMHO there should be no state-mandated or internet warrior-mandated requirements for concealed carry. People are responsible for their own actions, and everyone should be held accountable for their negligence or unintended consequences. You cannot legislate out stupidity nor educate in common sense, but you can restrict freedoms.
    True, the 2nd amendment is absolute and all of the gun control laws we have go directly against that because they infringe upon our Rights. Every state should be a Constitutional carry state. Idiots will be idiots and criminals will always find a way to get their hands on a gun. All these gun control laws do is keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens when they need them.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Agree with everything said in this thread. Hopefully by years end I’ll have my training school up and running at my private range and my classes fit the chp will definitely be a little different than most outside the classroom. It will be more training of the use of the firearm than just the normal 36 rds. This is where I think my classes will stand out from the others. I think I’ll be able to offer something other schools and classes can’t offer being the range is private and I can do more than others can do at local ranges.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Agree with everything said in this thread. Hopefully by years end I’ll have my training school up and running at my private range and my classes fit the chp will definitely be a little different than most outside the classroom. It will be more training of the use of the firearm than just the normal 36 rds. This is where I think my classes will stand out from the others. I think I’ll be able to offer something other schools and classes can’t offer being the range is private and I can do more than others can do at local ranges.

Sounds Great.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There's two things being conflated here: administrative burdens and training. Let's separate those out for a second.

One of the goals of the gun-banning left is to make gun ownership as administratively burdensome as possible. An incremental step towards that has been to make the carrying of concealed weapons as administratively burdensome as possible, which they've done a pretty good job of. Here's a good case-in-point: I can go get a mortgage and buy a house with less administrative burden than I can get a concealed handgun permit with. And at the end of the day, none of that administrative burden does anything to make anyone safer than a simple NICS background check (which requires only a small fraction of that data).

An interesting and unintended consequence of this is that it gives some people a sense of entitlement. They jumped through all of the hoops, and they think they should be getting more than the privilege of draping their coat over their holstered weapon. It's something that we don't really talk about (because the gun grabbers do such a damn good job of steering the discussion), but these sorts unintended consequences need to be looked at.

Training is another issue entirely. I've long been baffled why we don't make training freely available to people in the same way that hunter education is. If politicians gave a damn about firearms safety (they don't), then they'd find a morsel of funding to make firearms training available to every man and woman that is so inclined. I think there are a *lot* of people that would sign up for a free day of training (especially if they got to do some shooting, as is done in hunter safety), and we'd make more inroads to safe gun handling there than we would in any argument about the CHP training requirements.

And here's the great thing: all of the firearms instructors that make money off of CHP training would have a brand new market in which to tap into. More people get trained and nobody loses their business. It's a win-win.

In fact, we could even take it a step further: perhaps there are a few different state-sponsored classes. Citizens that attend a certain number of classes get to attended local shooting sports events hosted by their parish sheriff. Sport shooting organizations like the GSSF, USPS and IPSC get another opportunity to promote their sports. There's lots of ways to incentivize training, and all of this would help promote training to a lot of people that don't have any interest in concealed carrying.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I'm looking forward to it :cheers:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    An interesting and unintended consequence of this is that it gives some people a sense of entitlement. They jumped through all of the hoops, and they think they should be getting more than the privilege of draping their coat over their holstered weapon. It's something that we don't really talk about (because the gun grabbers do such a damn good job of steering the discussion), but these sorts unintended consequences need to be looked at.

I was that guy. I thought everyone should do it, because I did it. Then I started attending actual training courses and realized that the CHP course is a joke. People who want to better themselves will put in the effort regardless if it is mandated or not. Now I'm stuck waiting for my renewal permit, because LSP is taking forever to approve something that should take seconds to do.

Training is another issue entirely. I've long been baffled why we don't make training freely available to people in the same way that hunter education is. If politicians gave a damn about firearms safety (they don't), then they'd find a morsel of funding to make firearms training available to every man and woman that is so inclined. I think there are a *lot* of people that would sign up for a free day of training (especially if they got to do some shooting, as is done in hunter safety), and we'd make more inroads to safe gun handling there than we would in any argument about the CHP training requirements.

Training shouldn't be freely available, because instructors should be paid for their time. I'm not willing to pay increased taxes for such things and I truly don't believe any free programs would delve into the important subjects. I've seen instructors offer free training and people don't take them up on it. Nothing would change.

And here's the great thing: all of the firearms instructors that make money off of CHP training would have a brand new market in which to tap into. More people get trained and nobody loses their business. It's a win-win.

Who pays for the "free" training?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Training shouldn't be freely available, because instructors should be paid for their time. I'm not willing to pay increased taxes for such things and I truly don't believe any free programs would delve into the important subjects. I've seen instructors offer free training and people don't take them up on it. Nothing would change.

I wasn't advocating for instructors to work for free. I was advocating for the state to pay for it, in the same way that the state already pays for hunter education. And public school education. And a decent chunk of the cost of public universities. Etcetera.

And why couldn't state-sponsored training delve into important subjects? I guess it depends on what you consider important ... but for a large segment of the population that has never done any firearms training beyond "Uncle Joe taught me how to shoot soda cans on a fencepost when I was 12," I'd argue that anything is better than nothing.

As a sidebar: have you done any of the NRA's introductory classes? I think they're excellent. They won't turn you into a skilled marksman, but they at least give people a foundation in safe handling practices that so many people lack.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was advocating for the state to pay for it

The same way taxpayers pay for it. I'm not down with that. The state can't afford good instructors. Whenever you give the state control of something, they will always be concerned about a budget. No quality instructor would take that job.

And why couldn't state-sponsored training delve into important subjects? I guess it depends on what you consider important ... but for a large segment of the population that has never done any firearms training beyond "Uncle Joe taught me how to shoot soda cans on a fencepost when I was 12," I'd argue that anything is better than nothing.

People need to WANT to better themselves. Simply attending a training course doesn't mean you will leave with more knowledge and an increased proficiency. As I've stated previously, I don't think classes will fill up even if they were free of charge.

As a sidebar: have you done any of the NRA's introductory classes? I think they're excellent. They won't turn you into a skilled marksman, but they at least give people a foundation in safe handling practices that so many people lack.

I don't bother with any NRA courses. That discussion could be an entirely separate discussion. There are many basic pistol courses to teach fundamentals. Shooting is shooting, it's all the other stuff you need to know if you're going to carry a gun for self defense.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Thanks. I’ll have to reach out to the moderator and see what I need to do to advertise on the forum for the classes and training . I think even experienced shooters would like to try new things that they normally can’t do at local ranges. I will offer all that and then some. Will even have cqb coarse next to h the range also. Steel, props and all other things will be available. Even recommended drills that shooter may want to do in a scenario fashion can be done and welcomed in the advanced training class.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks. I’ll have to reach out to the moderator and see what I need to do to advertise on the forum for the classes and training . I think even experienced shooters would like to try new things that they normally can’t do at local ranges. I will offer all that and then some. Will even have cqb coarse next to h the range also. Steel, props and all other things will be available. Even recommended drills that shooter may want to do in a scenario fashion can be done and welcomed in the advanced training class.

I believe that we are still offering some free ad type packages for trainers. PM me when ready and I can work with the site owner to see what the best option that we can offer is.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My application was "returned" today. I didn't check off some boxes on the health form. Apparently checking off the box "release entire record" isn't enough.

Now the website is giving me a server error.

The whole CHP process and permits should go away. This is a complete joke.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    The Democrats just won. Your "privilege" to carry your firearm with your jacket over it has been delayed because of burdensome administration that makes nobody any safer than they were yesterday.

Mike
    Correct! Constitutional Carry is the way to go!

One of the first things that I did after moving here was send an email to my State Senator and State Rep introducing myself and pushing for Constitutional Carry in LA!

Top Bottom