Smoked brisket on a grill ?!?!?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Google the “fuse” or “snake” method online. Basically place 2 rows of charcoal almost all the way around your grill, stack a second double row on top of that, place small pieces of your wood of choice on the fuse and you have 12 hours of uninterrupted 250 degree heat and smoke. Add a water pan and keep your meat and smoke vent on the opposite side of the flame.

4C9E0A0B-0496-4C85-ACF1-4F890CE7D261.jpg485EA0B5-02D8-45FC-9E22-81CB8DA4C489.jpgA7C6B812-1B66-48F6-9773-BB267CBFFB80.jpg

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have seen meats smoked in a BBQ pit before and as long as you keep it off direct heat it is kind of the same concept. So when the snake reaches the side the meat is on do you move your brisket to the other side to keep it off the direct heat?

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I use my Big Green Egg. Smoke brisket, pork butt, and just about anything else I can think of. I use a deflector so there is no direct heat. Much better than the oven.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I use the **** out of my Kamado style grill. I smoke like a madman but recently have been doing burgers on it. They come out so good and hardwood smoke flavored.

I am almost tempted to try doing pizza on it but I was told about a way to do it in the oven and it comes out perfect so why mess with that.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A couple years ago I switched over to the dark side and got an electric smoker. It’s so easy and care free I’m not sure I could slow cook anything on a stick burner anymore. I miss fiddling with the fire but I enjoy drinking more and sleeping through the night on the long smokes. It’s cheating but I’m not trying to compete with anyone so I don’t feel guilty about it.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I started water smoking with the little elcheapo Brinkmans like 25 years ago. My bud started Boathouse Smokers and I’ve been using one of his for the last 10 years. I only burn hickory unless it just burgers or chicken, then I’ll use the natural lump. Cooking with straight wood in a 250 pound smoker ain’t always possible, like vacation and such, so this is an interesting idea.

This puppy holds the heat for a lot of hours on a small amount of wood.
    3a07bb7842f2e796ca1d55452dac7a0e.jpg
    669323ddd8b1d80a24839a3ecef10353.jpg
    60d19e884abdb3a4ef314ac4d9ee34c2.jpg

1d044a55624fe5b82acd602aba54a158.jpg
    1ed056e1e32838731a754f7fe3dbcd9b.jpg
    640d46e55169f2e41283f677538af03e.jpg

I lucked up with a bunch of grouper our last vacation at a beach house and rigged up something similar, but this looks quick and easy. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A couple years ago I switched over to the dark side and got an electric smoker. It’s so easy and care free I’m not sure I could slow cook anything on a stick burner anymore. I miss fiddling with the fire but I enjoy drinking more and sleeping through the night on the long smokes. It’s cheating but I’m not trying to compete with anyone so I don’t feel guilty about it.

I love my electric smoker. I call it lazy-cue.

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Yeah I since have purchased a camp chef pellet smoker. It feels like cheating and it’s not quite the same but I’m in the same boat as you. Since my job changed drastically in 16 I just don’t have the time to babysit my bbq.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Yeah I since have purchased a camp chef pellet smoker. It feels like cheating and it’s not quite the same but I’m in the same boat as you. Since my job changed drastically in 16 I just don’t have the time to babysit my bbq.

I use it because I just wanted good cue. There's not much of that here. Easiest way to get there.

All it really needs is temp control and smoke. Electric smoker and wood chips does it easy.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive an electric smoker too. easier than my kamodo for sure.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I just want to do one piece of meat I will use my Weber Genesis and a foil bomb to slow cook the meat, I turn the far right burner on low until I can get it stable at 225 and put the meat on the far left of the grill. Once I go over 1 pork butt I usually break out the UDS and I can do 6 butts or 4 butts and a few racks of ribs or I can just do a TON of ribs if I ever felt like it. I want to try out doing baked beans under the pork butts in a cast iron pot letting the fat drip into it, I bet that is really good. I tend to smoke more in the fall/winter than I do in the summer though.

Top Bottom