Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Choosing a new gun

Sorry if you guys get these type of questions a ton, but I don't know which direction I want to go. To start, I currently own a walther p22,taurus g2 (9mm), 10/22 and 308 rifle, 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. I want another handgun, but have no clue what it want. It will most likely sit on my nightstand at night, be the range work horse, and be on my hip in the woods. I've extensively shot original Springfield xd, glock 19 and 17, and I had a Springfield range officer that I sold years ago.

I have no clue what type of gun I want, I've looked at 1911 in 9mm and 45, glock, walther ppq, Canik Tp9sfx, sig, and Smith and Wesson in all calibers from 380 to 45..

Canik worries me for long term support and replacement parts. I think I'd like to keep it at 9mm to only have to buy one type of pistol ammo. I like the idea of 1911, for customization potential and parts, but not single stack capacity (I know there's a 2011, but that's out of the price range). I'm definitely leaning full size. I think I would love a 1911 9mm, but the price is more of a commitment.

Glock would probably be my last choice of the group because all of the others feel better in my hands, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

What would you guys recommend?

Marksman

User Info Menu

For ergonomics and quality go with these 9mm handguns in no particular order:

1. Heckler & Koch P30/P30sk
    2. Walther PPQ
    3. CZ P10C
    4. CZ P07
    5. CZ 75 P01
    6. FN 509C/509
    7. Heckler & Koch P2000/P2000sk

Go and rent them, shoot them, and see which one feels best in your hands.
    Last edited by hkump; June 15th, 2020 at 07:23 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I would go and rent them and see how they shoot.

I have had 2 M&Ps and like them but they fit my hand better than the others I tried at the time. Never had an issue with them and I started doing shooting comps last year with it. I did just pick up a Canik but haven't had a chance to really try it out as of yet.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Walther PPQ
    HK VP9
    M&P 2.0
    all the others mentioned above

User Info Menu

What's the aftermarket/replacement parts availability on These? When I had a g19, it was super easy to buy a new trigger connector to install, mags were easy to find, holsters, etc... I think I'd like something I could tinker with over time and make my own. May be interested in adding optics one day, I'd just like all the options to be available.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Get a Judge if you're going flopping around in the woods and all.....
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The M&P is Smith and Wesson so the parts are out there. If you want to upgrade Apex Tactical has the stuff.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Smith & Wesson 5906. I really enjoy mine and so does any I let give it a test drive. Full size but not overly large, 15 round double stack mags. Night sights are available for them. Stainless. Can be had in the $300 - $400 range. Reliable as they will chamber spent brass from the mag. There is a gunsmith located in SouthWest Mississippi who specializes in the 1st thru 3rd gen S&W guns, he is retired Coast Guard

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by twinin View Post

Walther PPQ
    HK VP9
    M&P 2.0
    And the Gen 5 Glocks.
    Last edited by JBP55; June 16th, 2020 at 11:43 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

A lot of good choice above, As said go rent a couple and see which one fits you and your price range the best.
    Jefferson Indoor Shooting Range in Metairie and Shooters Club in Harahan is going to have the largest selection of rentals around. .