Choosing a new gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • legec117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Sorry if you guys get these type of questions a ton, but I don't know which direction I want to go. To start, I currently own a walther p22,taurus g2 (9mm), 10/22 and 308 rifle, 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. I want another handgun, but have no clue what it want. It will most likely sit on my nightstand at night, be the range work horse, and be on my hip in the woods. I've extensively shot original Springfield xd, glock 19 and 17, and I had a Springfield range officer that I sold years ago.

I have no clue what type of gun I want, I've looked at 1911 in 9mm and 45, glock, walther ppq, Canik Tp9sfx, sig, and Smith and Wesson in all calibers from 380 to 45..

Canik worries me for long term support and replacement parts. I think I'd like to keep it at 9mm to only have to buy one type of pistol ammo. I like the idea of 1911, for customization potential and parts, but not single stack capacity (I know there's a 2011, but that's out of the price range). I'm definitely leaning full size. I think I would love a 1911 9mm, but the price is more of a commitment.

Glock would probably be my last choice of the group because all of the others feel better in my hands, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

What would you guys recommend?

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    For ergonomics and quality go with these 9mm handguns in no particular order:

1. Heckler & Koch P30/P30sk
    2. Walther PPQ
    3. CZ P10C
    4. CZ P07
    5. CZ 75 P01
    6. FN 509C/509
    7. Heckler & Koch P2000/P2000sk

Go and rent them, shoot them, and see which one feels best in your hands.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I would go and rent them and see how they shoot.

I have had 2 M&Ps and like them but they fit my hand better than the others I tried at the time. Never had an issue with them and I started doing shooting comps last year with it. I did just pick up a Canik but haven't had a chance to really try it out as of yet.

legec117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    What's the aftermarket/replacement parts availability on These? When I had a g19, it was super easy to buy a new trigger connector to install, mags were easy to find, holsters, etc... I think I'd like something I could tinker with over time and make my own. May be interested in adding optics one day, I'd just like all the options to be available.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    The M&P is Smith and Wesson so the parts are out there. If you want to upgrade Apex Tactical has the stuff.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Smith & Wesson 5906. I really enjoy mine and so does any I let give it a test drive. Full size but not overly large, 15 round double stack mags. Night sights are available for them. Stainless. Can be had in the $300 - $400 range. Reliable as they will chamber spent brass from the mag. There is a gunsmith located in SouthWest Mississippi who specializes in the 1st thru 3rd gen S&W guns, he is retired Coast Guard

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    A lot of good choice above, As said go rent a couple and see which one fits you and your price range the best.
    Jefferson Indoor Shooting Range in Metairie and Shooters Club in Harahan is going to have the largest selection of rentals around. .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What would you guys recommend?

What is the intended purpose?
    Do you have intentions to carry it?
    What is your budget?
    Do you prefer DAO, SAO, DA/SA, or Striker Fired?
    What calibers do you already own?
    Is the ease of obtaining replacement parts important to you?
    Do you value extensive track records to prove reliability?

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Maybe if we knew where you live someone just might be willing to let you visit and handle a couple of what we have and maybe even test drive them on a private range. BYOA

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Dave posed all the good questions to be considered and I agree with the the VP series by H&K and the m&p models I found oddly comfortable for what they look like. I don't own a Walther ppq but clearly would for the right price and all, just saying, but they've always felt good in the hand.

There also happens to be a good looking VP9 on the handguns forum.... cheers

Last edited:

legec117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I found a local place with a number of 9mm on hand, specifically the m&p 2.0, canik, and HK Vp9. I'm going this afternoon to Check them out.

I don't have a hard budget, and it depends on the scenario and gun. I found an m&p 2.0 used with 4 mags, 2 leather holsters and 300 rounds of ammo for under $500. I would feel comfortable with that if I like the gun. Would leave me money to see what changes if any I'd like to make to the trigger, red dot and adapter plate. I'll see how I like each and how they feel.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Glock 19. Gen 5, and keep it bone stock (because most of the "performance upgrades" are just a poor substitute for a lack of training and practice). The trigger is superb, and the gun is capable of doing more than 99.99% of the people that are holding it. And you get the support of a world class organization with unequalled access to parts and service and training.

The only other gun I'd toss in the mix is the S&W M&P, for the same reasons: a solid platform that benefits from many years of duty carry, and a solid company behind it. The M&P 1.0 trigger reset was bad, but they cleaned that up nicely in the 2.0 guns.

And, if you ever decide to sell any of these guns (in their stock form), then you'll find plenty of eager buyers. With the other boutique guns, not so much.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I found a local place with a number of 9mm on hand, specifically the m&p 2.0, canik, and HK Vp9. I'm going this afternoon to Check them out.

I don't have a hard budget, and it depends on the scenario and gun. I found an m&p 2.0 used with 4 mags, 2 leather holsters and 300 rounds of ammo for under $500. I would feel comfortable with that if I like the gun. Would leave me money to see what changes if any I'd like to make to the trigger, red dot and adapter plate. I'll see how I like each and how they feel.

If it's a CORE model that is optics ready, that's not a terrible deal.

If you do go that route, my only suggestion would be to do your homework and not cheap out on parts. Apex makes the only M&P trigger worth using and a quality RDS will run between $250-600.

legec117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Well, that guy flaked out or it was a fake ad. Messaged me earlier with a place to meet, and then when I messaged to say on my way and when I got there, the iPhone messages were green instead of blue and when I called, it was a dead line. I saw her posted another gun for sale in that time on LA Sportsman.

I'm in Thibodaux, so most places are closed by the time I could drive to them after work. I'll keep looking around with the great suggestions above in mind. Sucks that the state of things are how they are and guns are few and far between.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Well, that guy flaked out or it was a fake ad. Messaged me earlier with a place to meet, and then when I messaged to say on my way and when I got there, the iPhone messages were green instead of blue and when I called, it was a dead line. I saw her posted another gun for sale in that time on LA Sportsman.

I'm in Thibodaux, so most places are closed by the time I could drive to them after work. I'll keep looking around with the great suggestions above in mind. Sucks that the state of things are how they are and guns are few and far between.

Hang on, That's the type that gets the ol hammer,You perhaps have a link to the ad in the Sportsman?

legec117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Yes. I have his user name. Is there a way to report him?

Top Bottom