Holosun 507K Micro RDS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The Holosun 507K will be available very soon, possibly within the next week or two. The idea of having a carry size pistol such as the P365 and P365XL with the capacity of some duty pistols is very alluring. They become even more alluring when they are optics ready and have the potential to be as reliable as their full size counterparts. Originally, I wasn't sold on the P365XL, but given that the only current competition would be the Glock 48 with a Shield Arms magazine, I'm tempted to pick one up along with a new 507K.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Red dots on handguns are the wave of the future. Once you zero in the red dot, it's almost like cheating. Holosun's 507 series is a quality product. I've used Trijicon RMRs and Holosun is up there with them, minus the price. The P365XL with the 507K is a good defensive combo. I agree.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The Holosun 507K will be available very soon, possibly within the next week or two. The idea of having a carry size pistol such as the P365 and P365XL with the capacity of some duty pistols is very alluring. They become even more alluring when they are optics ready and have the potential to be as reliable as their full size counterparts. Originally, I wasn't sold on the P365XL, but given that the only current competition would be the Glock 48 with a Shield Arms magazine, I'm tempted to pick one up along with a new 507K.

You should get one and then let me shoot it. I want to play with one before I get it.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you're going to have a big wart hanging off your pistol, why not just a laser? Sure, if it's not Crimson Trace grips you have to get a modded holster for it, but having it hang on the rail is usually more ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing than Quasimodo up there.

Ok, rip me a new one...GO :dogkeke:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you're going to have a big wart hanging off your pistol, why not just a laser? Sure, if it's not Crimson Trace grips you have to get a modded holster for it, but having it hang on the rail is usually more ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing than Quasimodo up there.

I'm not 100% sold yet on RDS optics on pistols, but there are definitely benefits to having them. I won't rip you a new one, though, but I would challenge you to do your homework and at least give it a shot to see if you like it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

One is designed to reduce the number of focal planes from 3 to 1, which allows the end user to increase speed and accuracy.

The other is something used to entertain a cat.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA

I was skeptical of red dots on handguns at first until I tried it. It's too easy when you have the red dot zeroed in. The advantage of having a red dot is the ability to just focus on one little dot instead of having to focus on the rear sights and the front sights. Also, in a defensive stance, a laser will give you away to the enemy, whereas the only one who sees the red dot is you. Also, my eyesight is getting worse every year, so the red dot makes it easier to see the target. Once you try a zeroed red dot on a handgun, you may never go back to the regular sights again.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I’ve tried glocks and sig P320s with RMRs, holosuns, vortex, and the DPP. They have their advantages but if you don’t put in a lot of time to get proficient it’s not going to work for you. Because of this, I’m staying with ameriglo or HD iron sights on my duty weapon. Maybe in the future i will swap over but not until I put in a lot of extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I’ve tried glocks and sig P320s with RMRs, holosuns, vortex, and the DPP. They have their advantages but if you don’t put in a lot of time to get proficient it’s not going to work for you. Because of this, I’m staying with ameriglo or HD iron sights on my duty weapon. Maybe in the future i will swap over but not until I put in a lot of extra work.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

It's just like anything else with firearms in that you need to become proficient with it, otherwise under stress you likely won't use it well.

I do not have enough experience training with a red dot just yet, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons, in my opinion, with ample training.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

It requires altering your draw stroke to acquire the dot faster. People who are used to fishing with irons will hate the RDS, because they can’t find it the same way they acquire a sight picture by indexing off of the front sight.

Overall, using a pistol RDS allows me to focus on the target, which means more information can be processed. I focus less on *sight alignment* and more on making sure I pull the trigger clean. It makes a huge difference at distance.

FWIW, I got rid of most of my *tactical* gear and only shoot from concealment. It’s more practical for me. This past weekend I shot from AIWB with my RMR’d gun and was able to hit C Zone steel at 25 yards from 1.4-1.6 seconds from the draw consistently. Once the gun is at full presentation the dot is there and the gun goes bang. My goal is to hit a 10* plate at 25 yards in 1.25 seconds from concealment.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was skeptical of red dots on handguns at first until I tried it. It's too easy when you have the red dot zeroed in. The advantage of having a red dot is the ability to just focus on one little dot instead of having to focus on the rear sights and the front sights. Also, in a defensive stance, a laser will give you away to the enemy, whereas the only one who sees the red dot is you. Also, my eyesight is getting worse every year, so the red dot makes it easier to see the target. Once you try a zeroed red dot on a handgun, you may never go back to the regular sights again.

That's a good point. If you can't see the laser dot on a target, it's not much use to you, so the RDS would be a better option.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It requires altering your draw stroke to acquire the dot faster. People who are used to fishing with irons will hate the RDS, because they can’t find it the same way they acquire a sight picture by indexing off of the front sight.

Overall, using a pistol RDS allows me to focus on the target, which means more information can be processed. I focus less on *sight alignment* and more on making sure I pull the trigger clean. It makes a huge difference at distance.

FWIW, I got rid of most of my *tactical* gear and only shoot from concealment. It’s more practical for me. This past weekend I shot from AIWB with my RMR’d gun and was able to hit C Zone steel at 25 yards from 1.4-1.6 seconds from the draw consistently. Once the gun is at full presentation the dot is there and the gun goes bang. My goal is to hit a 10* plate at 25 yards in 1.25 seconds from concealment.

Are you CC'ing with the RDS? Does it print? That would be one of my big concerns.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Are you CC'ing with the RDS? Does it print? That would be one of my big concerns.

Depending on what you wear, the holster you have, the position you carry, it can print. It makes your gun’s overall footprint larger. However, there are ways to minimize printing.

My typical carry gun is either a Glock 34 with a Surefire X300U and Trijicon RMR or a plain Glock 17. The G17 will eventually get sent off to he milled for a RDS when time and money allows for it. I would put a MRDS on every gun I own if I had the money to burn.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with motor51, Dave_M, and Austin. I tried a RDS on an identical SP01 that I have used for competition for years. I’ve trained to use the front sight. With the RDS I slowed down a little bit because every time you loose the red dot you have to find it again while moving through a course of fire.

This can be of course trained out if you’re willing to devote the time to do so. I haven’t made the decision to train it out and will continue to use traditional sights. Only one of my handguns would have an RDS and the rest wouldn’t.

My point here is there is a learning curve and I don’t want to learn a new way for only one handgun.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I agree with motor51, Dave_M, and Austin. I tried a RDS on an identical SP01 that I have used for competition for years. I’ve trained to use the front sight. With the RDS I slowed down a little bit because every time you loose the red dot you have to find it again while moving through a course of fire.

This can be of course trained out if you’re willing to devote the time to do so. I haven’t made the decision to train it out and will continue to use traditional sights. Only one of my handguns would have an RDS and the rest wouldn’t.

My point here is there is a learning curve and I don’t want to learn a new way for only one handgun.

Dave

The only reason I push people to try RDS on a pistol is because it will inevitably allow you to shoot better with irons.

Most people have imperfect presentation with irons, but ignore it, because they can reference the relation between the front and rear sights to adjust for it. With a RDS, the dot is either in the window or it isn't. If the dot isn't there, your iron sights are not aligned and it's entirely on you as the shooter to fix your presentation. The issue comes when iron sight shooters tend to panic and try to go back to their front sight and find that relation between the front and rear sights to adjust, then go back to the dot. If you watch top Open Class or Carry Optics shooters present the gun versus how iron sight shooters did things 10+ years ago, you will see that they present that gun flat, so that the sights are aligned or the dot is immediately present once the gun is in their workspace.

The learning curve exists, but it's more in the draw stroke and presentation than anything to do with the sighting system.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I've been waiting for so many of these and others to be released. Almost everyone is behind or having production problems. At least, there are so many more good choices now

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The only reason I push people to try RDS on a pistol is because it will inevitably allow you to shoot better with irons.

Most people have imperfect presentation with irons, but ignore it, because they can reference the relation between the front and rear sights to adjust for it. With a RDS, the dot is either in the window or it isn't. If the dot isn't there, your iron sights are not aligned and it's entirely on you as the shooter to fix your presentation. The issue comes when iron sight shooters tend to panic and try to go back to their front sight and find that relation between the front and rear sights to adjust, then go back to the dot. If you watch top Open Class or Carry Optics shooters present the gun versus how iron sight shooters did things 10+ years ago, you will see that they present that gun flat, so that the sights are aligned or the dot is immediately present once the gun is in their workspace.

The learning curve exists, but it's more in the draw stroke and presentation than anything to do with the sighting system.

That’s a very valid point that I hadn’t considered. I like it because that’s why I feel that people should learn on DA revolvers. Once you learn a level of trigger control for both accurate and relatively rapid shooting I believe it helps with trigger control on all handguns.

Dave

Last edited:

Bergeron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I enjoyed dry-fire, and then I tried a dot. I've heard that if iron sights whisper, then the red dot screams. It's like a having a shooting coach for every press.

I'm a fan, and I'm curious to see what P365-size guns with mini-dots are like compared to their larger brethren.

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been waiting for so many of these and others to be released. Almost everyone is behind or having production problems. At least, there are so many more good choices now

I had a Sig Romeo Zero on order, switched over the Holosun 507K, and am now semi-patiently waiting. I keep hearing "a few more weeks" every time I check on when it will be available, so this thread gives me some hope!

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    You guys were totally correct, my 507K shipped a few days ago, with any luck I'll have it tomorrow or Monday. Looking forward to trying it out!

Top Bottom