Baton Rouge Police Supplies, Cortana Place

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Had the same experience the one time i attempted to shop there. Intended to purchase multiple g26 mags and pierce base plates. They were uninterested in assisting me in making a purchase so i went home and ordered them at a lower cost. I'm all for the support local when the local folks are worth supporting. There is a particular gun shop in denham springs which was recently charging $24.99 for a box of 50 9mm tula, i refuse to support that. I will however give a plug for Pelican Pawn in denham. They have a smaller selection in store over all but they have always been friendly and will order anything you want at a fair price. I've made multiple purchases through them.

It almost sounds like shopping at the Old 10-8 or AFFS or what ever it was.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Return polices can be weird. Personally I think everyone should just consider "all sales final" and take it up with the mfg if there is a defect. If I buy something that does not work for me, I can just sell it on.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It almost sounds like shopping at the Old 10-8 or AFFS or what ever it was.

I happened to have liked 10-8 Tactical. I dropped quite a bit of money there over the years and never had any issues. I do remember them saying they didn't sell ak's because they would rather not do business with people who would buy ak's.

Based on the comments in this thread, I checked out Practical Tactical today. And I picked up a Glock 43X while I was there.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I happened to have liked 10-8 Tactical. I dropped quite a bit of money there over the years and never had any issues. I do remember them saying they didn't sell ak's because they would rather not do business with people who would buy ak's.

Based on the comments in this thread, I checked out Practical Tactical today. And I picked up a Glock 43X while I was there.

Break it in and I will give you your money back.

Last edited:

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    Just to post my experience, I purchased a blue label G17 M.O.S. At Baton Rouge Police supply this week. I called ahead and asked if they had them in stock which They did. Informed them I would like to purchase one through the veteran program which they gladly honored. I deal with a younger guy and a middle aged man, as well as a young lady there. All were polite, professional, and courteous. They even helped me out with my DD214, as I just had a digital copy, they needed a paper copy, so I emailed it to the younger guy, he printed it up for me and all was well.

Sorry the OP had a bad experience there, this was my first time shopping there and it was a positive experience for myself.

I appreciate them taking the time to help me out, and thankfully they had a few blue labels in stock, especially nowadays with everything going on.

Last edited:

870marinemagnum

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Slidell, LA
    Glad I never stepped into that store. We AK owners must be even more deplorable than I thought. Really, who would ever want an affordable, easy to service, inexpensive to shoot rifle that comes in so many collectable variants that it is an entire hobby unto itself. Dont get me wrong, I am not actually offended; just puzzled at why someone would say that to a potential customer.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Glad I never stepped into that store. We AK owners must be even more deplorable than I thought. Really, who would ever want an affordable, easy to service, inexpensive to shoot rifle that comes in so many collectable variants that it is an entire hobby unto itself. Dont get me wrong, I am not actually offended; just puzzled at why someone would say that to a potential customer.

Your post is puzzling. Why would anyone go to a Cop Shop to shop or discuss AK's? I do not think AK's had anything to do with this thread.

870marinemagnum

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Slidell, LA
    Your post is puzzling. Why would anyone go to a Cop Shop to shop or discuss AK's? I do not think AK's had anything to do with this thread.

your last response quoted the post that brought up Kalashnikov rifles not being sold in certain stores. Scroll ^^^up^^^ and read what you quoted in your last post.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    your last response quoted the post that brought up Kalashnikov rifles not being sold in certain stores. Scroll ^^^up^^^ and read what you quoted in your last post.

I do not see where your original post had anything to do with this thread. Correct me if I am wrong.

870marinemagnum

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Slidell, LA

^^^^this post that YOU quoted^^^^ in this very same thread.

870marinemagnum

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Slidell, LA
    Thanks for helping to clarify, thperez1972. Since I havent heard back from JBP55, I will consider his objection withdrawn. My point was that it seems like a strange business decision to be THAT vocal in his contempt and alienation of the owners of a particular weapon and not critical of the weapon itself. My experience in sales has been that is seldom beneficial to speak negatively about the competition or the competition’s customers as it usually comes off as petty and bitter and can turn off potential customers.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for helping to clarify, thperez1972. Since I havent heard back from JBP55, I will consider his objection withdrawn. My point was that it seems like a strange business decision to be THAT vocal in his contempt and alienation of the owners of a particular weapon and not critical of the weapon itself. My experience in sales has been that is seldom beneficial to speak negatively about the competition or the competition’s customers as it usually comes off as petty and bitter and can turn off potential customers.

It may have been strange but it was their decision. And based on his not wanting to do business with the type of person who would be looking to buy an ak, it didn't matter if he turned off the potential customer because he didn't want to do business with them. This was back in 2007ish maybe. Ak's weren't as "mainstream" as they are now.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like you have a crappy policy same as the one I mentioned in this post. Please show the name of your business so I can be sure never to visit your store also.

So you got mad, because they would not return merchandise you purchased for a purpose you thought it would serve? Then because they have that policy it makes them a bad place to do business? You should have bought the **** from walmart... Small businesses have a hard enough time competing as it is. I have a no return policy at my store as well. I got tired of people spending hundreds of dollars on vanity items on Friday, and trying to return them on Monday after the weekend. Or a guy buying a tool using it for one job, then trying to return it and believe me they do. I've been doing business with them for a lot of years with little to no problem.

If I let the public run my business, I won't be in business very long. Didn't take long for me to learn that. At least if I go out of business because I'm an *******, it will be on my terms. Sorry to hear about your experience.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I've only been in BRPS one time . I was looking for a G19 and the kid said all they had was Blue Label guns , so no go . He didn't offer any info on when they might get some Red Labels . He just stood there and looked at me . I got the message . I also bought one that same day somewhere else .

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    WOW, I'm really surprised there are so many people that would buy from a store that will not do a return if you are not happy with your purchase. I purchased from them, and didn't ask about a return policy because I never new there were stores that had such a policy?
    And as for the snide remarks some of you have given... you can go F yourselves!
    I just wanted to share what I thought was a bad policy so that someone didn't find themselves in the same place. But if you're ok with those policies, have at it, its your money.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    WOW, I'm really surprised there are so many people that would buy from a store that will not do a return if you are not happy with your purchase. I purchased from them, and didn't ask about a return policy because I never new there were stores that had such a policy?
    And as for the snide remarks some of you have given... you can go F yourselves!
    I just wanted to share what I thought was a bad policy so that someone didn't find themselves in the same place. But if you're ok with those policies, have at it, its your money.

And you shared it. It's certainly not the best policy but it's worked for them so far. Some people just understand the need for a small business to have that inconvenient policy. In dealing with those stores, one simply has to be more sure what they buy will work. It's not their fault you bought something that didn't work. But from your version of the story, they took the item back so you weren't stuck with something you weren't happy with.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Many small retail businesses have the same policy. My family owned a stationery/gift store and had the same policy. No refunds; exchanges or store credit only. Retail margins usually aren't great once you figure in overhead, and backtracking on revenue can create a lot of problems.

That's a bummer that you weren't aware of the policy at the time of purchase. I know it's a pretty big store - hopefully they have another item that you might be interested in.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks! Yes, I purchased a knife. Needed another knife like I needed a hole in the head, but they had nothing else I didn't already have or needed.

Many small retail businesses have the same policy. My family owned a stationery/gift store and had the same policy. No refunds; exchanges or store credit only. Retail margins usually aren't great once you figure in overhead, and backtracking on revenue can create a lot of problems.

That's a bummer that you weren't aware of the policy at the time of purchase. I know it's a pretty big store - hopefully they have another item that you might be interested in.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've bought at least a half a dozen guns from BRPS, and some other junk to fill out my shooting bag. I've never had anything but good experiences at the store, and the staff have been very helpful to me despite my not being an LEO. I've never tried to return something there, but in fairness I almost never return things to a store. I don't typically buy things impulsively and I tend to research stuff to death, so I usually know exactly what I'm getting long before my wallet comes out. And from my perspective, it's not a store's job to accommodate my changing my mind.

That said, I'll happily keep going there. Other peoples' mileage may vary and that's fine.

Mike

Top Bottom