DPMS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Good morning. Hoping y'all can clear this up for me. I purchased a DPMS Panther AR 15. First AR so I went cheap. I can't find the exact model, model number, specs, anything really about it. It came with an owners manual for a Remington R-15 VTR. It looks like the rifle, except mine has a black upper and lower, the Remington has camo. I spent hours yesterday looking online but couldn't find one like it.
    Mine says model A15 on the lower. I haven't removed the hand guard yet to see the barrel markings, but probably will today.
    Can anyone point me to any info about this rifle? Reveiws, spec sheet, sites that sell it?
    Thanks

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The rifle you have is pretty generic in terms of an owner’s manual. The AR 15 is one of the easiest rifles to take down, disassemble, clean, maintain, etc. if it came with standard drop in two piece handguards it may prove a tad difficult for a new owner to remove and reinstall those, but otherwise they’re easy for first time owners to deal with. You could prolly YouTube everything you need to know about the basics. Pull the takedown pin, pull the BCG and charging handle and go from there. Just a couple of minor things to remember when taking one down that are easily learned, like pulling the bolt forward in the carrier before reinserting, where to position the charging handle when reinstalling the BCG, As well as a few other tips like inserting a mag with the bolt open, etc. If you know a friend who is familiar with the AR, plan a range trip and see what you can pick up from them.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    First upgrade should be your skills until you’re comfortable with it as is. I’d start looking into trigger and barrel.

Just curious on why the suggestion for a barrel? Unless the OP intends to start shooting competitively whats the advantage of a new barrel? Any newer production rifle should have a serviceable barrel. I've had $400 ar's and $1500 plus ar's and all have been serviceable within the expected use.

OP my recommendation is shoot it plenty and spend money on mags and ammo. If you find you shoot it frequently or for more than just plinking buy or build a rifle that suits your wants at that time and with features geared towards your use. Triggers, better sights or optics for your purpose usually produce good results.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    52D7C3C3-34AD-46C9-98C6-A8972927306E.jpeg

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Getting some good advice, thanks.
    My first plan was building one. That turned out to be almost as expensive, plus I would have needed some special tools. Came across this one and jumped without knowing much about it.
    I don't plan on any competitions, and I don't hunt. This will be for the range. If I want another later, I'll probably go the build route. By then I should be more familiar.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you are going to be using it just for the range and aren't planning on potentially using it for self-defense, then I'd say spend your money on three things:

1) Mags/Ammo
    2) Range time + formal training if within budget
    3) A decent optic

If it's truly just a plinker for range fun, you probably don't actually /need/ formal training from a professional. With that being said, it's impossible to know things that you don't know. You'll pickup useful information from others and from the internet, but a one day class might be worth it to get a wealth of knowledge (use, handling, components, and etc).

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    If you are going to be using it just for the range and aren't planning on potentially using it for self-defense, then I'd say spend your money on three things:

1) Mags/Ammo
    2) Range time + formal training if within budget
    3) A decent optic

If it's truly just a plinker for range fun, you probably don't actually /need/ formal training from a professional. With that being said, it's impossible to know things that you don't know. You'll pickup useful information from others and from the internet, but a one day class might be worth it to get a wealth of knowledge (use, handling, components, and etc).

I have pistols for self defense, until SHTF, then the rifle will be drafted.
    Training never hurts, and a class about AR 15's sounds like a good idea. I've been watching videos and reading, trying to sort out the good advice from the bad.
    Right now ammo and mags are the top of the list, that's gonna take some bucks.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The reason your rifle came with a Remington manual is most likely because Remington handled the last of DPMS before it closed up for good. Although rifles are still for sale, DPMS as a company no longer exists.

As far as upgrades, I would look into a quality optic and plenty ammunition.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    The reason your rifle came with a Remington manual is most likely because Remington handled the last of DPMS before it closed up for good. Although rifles are still for sale, DPMS as a company no longer exists.

As far as upgrades, I would look into a quality optic and plenty ammunition.

I had a Sightmark SM14000 in the safe. Using that for now. Ammo might take a while. 30 minute drive to Academy and a 3 box limit.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I had a Sightmark SM14000 in the safe. Using that for now. Ammo might take a while. 30 minute drive to Academy and a 3 box limit.

Probably best to browse online retailers. Academy and similar stores have a hard time keeping it on their shelves. Plus, they also have staffing problems going on due to COVID.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom