Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DPMS

Marksman

User Info Menu

DPMS

Good morning. Hoping y'all can clear this up for me. I purchased a DPMS Panther AR 15. First AR so I went cheap. I can't find the exact model, model number, specs, anything really about it. It came with an owners manual for a Remington R-15 VTR. It looks like the rifle, except mine has a black upper and lower, the Remington has camo. I spent hours yesterday looking online but couldn't find one like it.
    Mine says model A15 on the lower. I haven't removed the hand guard yet to see the barrel markings, but probably will today.
    Can anyone point me to any info about this rifle? Reveiws, spec sheet, sites that sell it?
    Thanks

Marksman

User Info Menu

I understand this a low level AR. Any suggestions as to first things to upgrade?

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dwsonar View Post
    I understand this a low level AR. Any suggestions as to first things to upgrade?
    None of them come with an 100% guarantee, None !
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

First upgrade should be your skills until you’re comfortable with it as is. I’d start looking into trigger and barrel.
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Monolithic Mentor

User Info Menu

Probably the same as the DPMS Panther Oracle rifle. Here is link for the owner's manual:
    https://www.remingtonoutdoorcompany....ers_Manual.pdf

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunter5567 View Post
    Probably the same as the DPMS Panther Oracle rifle. Here is link for the owner's manual:
    https://www.remingtonoutdoorcompany....ers_Manual.pdf
    I did find that. Very different look although components may be the same. Mine has no front sight and a different stock. I'll see if I can post a pic from my phone.

Don’t troll me bro!

User Info Menu

The rifle you have is pretty generic in terms of an owner’s manual. The AR 15 is one of the easiest rifles to take down, disassemble, clean, maintain, etc. if it came with standard drop in two piece handguards it may prove a tad difficult for a new owner to remove and reinstall those, but otherwise they’re easy for first time owners to deal with. You could prolly YouTube everything you need to know about the basics. Pull the takedown pin, pull the BCG and charging handle and go from there. Just a couple of minor things to remember when taking one down that are easily learned, like pulling the bolt forward in the carrier before reinserting, where to position the charging handle when reinstalling the BCG, As well as a few other tips like inserting a mag with the bolt open, etc. If you know a friend who is familiar with the AR, plan a range trip and see what you can pick up from them.
    Doesn’t play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KDerekT83 View Post
    First upgrade should be your skills until you’re comfortable with it as is. I’d start looking into trigger and barrel.
    Just curious on why the suggestion for a barrel? Unless the OP intends to start shooting competitively whats the advantage of a new barrel? Any newer production rifle should have a serviceable barrel. I've had $400 ar's and $1500 plus ar's and all have been serviceable within the expected use.

OP my recommendation is shoot it plenty and spend money on mags and ammo. If you find you shoot it frequently or for more than just plinking buy or build a rifle that suits your wants at that time and with features geared towards your use. Triggers, better sights or optics for your purpose usually produce good results.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52D7C3C3-34AD-46C9-98C6-A8972927306E.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	96253

Marksman

User Info Menu

Getting some good advice, thanks.
    My first plan was building one. That turned out to be almost as expensive, plus I would have needed some special tools. Came across this one and jumped without knowing much about it.
    I don't plan on any competitions, and I don't hunt. This will be for the range. If I want another later, I'll probably go the build route. By then I should be more familiar.