Questions on buying off of gunbroker

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    I been doing some research on what the process is when buying a firearm off of gunbroker and I can’t seem to find a clear answer to my questions. I’m hoping some of you would be able to help me out!

So when purchasing firearm on gunbroker-
    1) is it basically just buying anything else online when it comes to payment?
    2) do you have to talk to your local ffl before you even make the purchase or do you just have it sent to their shop without even telling them anything?
    3) what kind of information about your local ffl do you need to give to the seller and do you need to get any information from the seller?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I have never bought any firearm online. RE #2: Out of courtesy I would talk to the local FFL first. More so if it were the first time I dealt with them on an out of state transfer.

870marinemagnum

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Slidell, LA
    Its easy. However, good comminication is key to making it go smoothly. To answer your questions.
    1. Sellers will dictate the terms of payment in the item listing. USPS money order by mail is typically a universally accepted form. Some sellers may take credit cards through the internal gunbroker payment system. Some do not. Most charge a premium for card payments.
    2. Swing by your dealer with the printed out completed item listing and seller contact info.
    3. FFL info and shipping address is sent by the buyers dealer to the seller. Some like email, some like fax. Some like the mail.

I would also recommend that if you send payment through the mail, send it certified mail with return receipt and tracking. I havent had a negative experience with gunbroker in 15+ years.

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    Hi,
    I normally use the same FFL in Larose for my on-line purchases. I do notify the FFL of my purchase (by email) to make sure that he will be able to accept the shipment. I also provide him with the necessary information for him to send a copy of his FFL to the vendor.

After winning the bid or agreeing to purchase, I request the invoice and then provide the vendor with my FFL information along with information regarding the payment (most seem to want a Postal Money order). Once I put the payment in the mail, I send them an e-mailed scanned copy of the receipt and send them an additional copy of the FFL information. I send the FFL a copy of this e-mail.

I track the shipment and send the FFL a copy of the tracking information showing the estimated tracking information.

In all emails, I put contact information in the information so that the vendor or FFL can get in touch with me if they encounter any problem or need any attitional information.

GCAB985

Scott5.0

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Loranger, LA
    I been doing some research on what the process is when buying a firearm off of gunbroker and I can’t seem to find a clear answer to my questions. I’m hoping some of you would be able to help me out!

So when purchasing firearm on gunbroker-
    2) do you have to talk to your local ffl before you even make the purchase or do you just have it sent to their shop without even telling them anything?
    3) what kind of information about your local ffl do you need to give to the seller and do you need to get any information from the seller?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Everybody else has covered the basics. Since you live in Springfield, you can use Apocalypse Sports in Pontchatoula. Shoot him an email with the info on the auction, they will get their FFL to the seller and call you when it comes in. Easy peasy. I think he charges $20 for the transfer.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have used GunBroker in the past. Sometimes you can find exactly what you want and get it at a great price.

Using an online store or auction like GunBroker can be easy and satisfactory. However, if you are just beginning to be interested in something it might be better to use a local vendor (local gun store) where you can see the item, hold it, manipulate it, get information and get it serviced if needed. Many LGS owners are willing to negotiate some on prices or/and throw in things like ammo, extra magazines or accessories. If you get a nice discount, it might be competitive with an online price on which you will have to also pay shipping and an FFL fee.

However, if you are looking for something no longer made, rate or very specific, an online auction might be the best option.

My observations:

Beware, some sellers charge extra for using a credit card.

Some credit card companies (like Capital One) now offer a temporary, one transaction substitute card number feature for internet purchases. That way you don’t have to use your real card number.

After a win, the seller will usually tell you how and where the FFL information needs to be sent. Contact your FFL and let them know that you’re making a purchase. Give the seller’s information to the FFL. The FFL will know what to do.

Ask the seller to give the tracking information to you and to the FFL. Make sure it’s insured. Make sure that you know and agree with the seller’s policy on lost or delayed shipments.

Make sure that you know and agree with the seller’s policy on returns in case you’re not satisfied, something is broken, or not as advertised.

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE using USPS for anything, but in some cases it is the only option. The only problems I’ve had have been related to the USPS. Generally they don’t care about delivery accuracy and promptness. If you absolutely don’t care when it arrives, use USPS.

I prefer FedEx. UPS is not nearly as bad as USPS but I have had many delayed packages by UPS. During the 1997 UPS strike, $19,000 worth of merchandise I had paid for, sat in a UPS warehouse for six weeks and there was nothing that could be done.

If you need to pick an FFL, do not pick it by the fee. Sometimes saving $10-20 is not worth it. I have had better luck with FFL-s that have a “brick & mortar” location. A retail location has published hours, phone numbers and addresses. Trying to track down some dude that operates out of his house can be frustrating, particularly when you’re itching to hold and shoot a new weapon. A guy that has my new $2,000 gun that won’t answer his phone makes me nervous.

There are lots of people on Bayou Shooter that have suggestions and recommendations for an FFL if you need help picking. There are also BS members that are FFL-s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Depends entirely on the seller. Some want a certified check or money order. Others will take a personal check. Some take credit cards (and there's sometimes an extra fee for a credit card). Read the auction listing carefully, and ask the seller if it isn't explained there.

I've been dealing with the same FFL for some years now and he knows me well, so I don't bother anymore. The most important thing is to have the seller put a note with your contact information in with the gun. That way, your FFL isn't scratching his head when the gun arrives, wondering who it's for.

All the seller should need from your local FFL is a signed copy of the actual FFL document for their records. That has the shipping address on it, and that's where they have to legally ship the gun to.

Your receiving FFL may have certain policies in place about handling online sales. Talk to them first as a courtesy.

I've bought over 50 guns from gunbroker.com and have never had a problem. That said, I've also passed on a *lot* of guns because I read the description and looked at the photos carefully. Be careful that you're seeing what's actually there, and not what you want to see.

Mike

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Some credit card companies (like Capital One) now offer a temporary, one transaction substitute card number feature for internet purchases. That way you don’t have to use your real card number.

I did some research and found privacy.com for one-time cc numbers. It links to my checking account. I can create a new card for each location. That card can either have no limit or I can set a limit per charge, per month, per year, or a set amount. Or I can set it for a one-time use. And I get notified on my phone of every charge. I've ordered stuff from sites I would otherwise not have ordered if I had to give my real credit card number.

If you like it and want to give me credit for sending you there, you can use the below referral link. Then we both get $5 upon your first use. If you want to check it out without the referral, the first link goes straight to the homepage.
    Referral Link

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    Wow thank y’all! All this was very helpful.

One comment mentioned Apocalypse. I deal with them a lot and was thinking about using them for this. That gives a me a little more piece of mind.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    many vendors require that YOUR ffl send THEM their info. ive had issues with finding an ffl that could be bothered to do so in a timely manner, or wanted an extra $$ to do it. so read the terms of sale carefully, and check with your chosen ffl BEFORE purchase.

also be sure to double check the shipping fees. ive seen some ludicrous ones.

Last edited:

1wise1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Carrollton, Texas
    Most FFL's are listed in a database that all legitimate Gun Dealers have. Just pick a name from the list and the dealer will send the gun there. Be glad you don't live in Washington ... Oregon or anywhere on the West Coast. Its impossible to find an FFL who is not employed by a gun shop... and they will punish anybody who isn't buying from the shop. $35 to $50 bucks for a transfer is the average. Mine up here in Dallas is $10.

Top Bottom