Belly Band Holsters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I see a bunch of ads for those elastic Belly Band holsters online lately. Anybody get one and if so what do you think of it?
    Doesn't really look like my thing but I'm curious about them. If you do have one what brand is it?

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I tried one for a few months. I'd say it depends on why you want one, how you plan on using it, and what you carry.

I got it specifically for exercising and going running. Tried a few different brands off Amazon and stuck with the one from Kaylle -- nothing fancy and they're all about the same in that <$25 bracket. Verdict is a whopping "meh" -- pretty comfortable to start out with, retention is okay on smaller weapons with just the elastic pocket but could get dicey for larger heavier ones. The dealbreaker for me was that they get hot AF when you start sweating. I couldn't take it anymore so I turfed mine. If it's not for exercise then they could be serviceable and relatively comfortable, but I'd definitely advocate for finding one that has or can be fit with a kydex insert.

I gave up on it and now run with a little 380 in a kydex holster on a nylon belt under my gym shorts; feels way more secure and comfortable.

Last edited:

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I tried one for a few months. I'd say it depends on why you want one, how you plan on using it, and what you carry.

I got it specifically for exercising and going running. Tried a few different brands off Amazon and stuck with the one from Kaylle -- nothing fancy and they're all about the same in that <$25 bracket. Verdict is a whopping "meh" -- pretty comfortable to start out with, retention is okay on smaller weapons with just the elastic pocket but could get dicey for larger heavier ones. The dealbreaker for me was that they get hot AF when you start sweating. I couldn't take it anymore so I turfed mine. If it's not for exercise then they could be serviceable and relatively comfortable, but I'd definitely advocate for finding one that has or can be fit with a kydex insert.

I gave up on it and now run with a little 380 in a kydex holster on a nylon belt under my gym shorts; feels way more secure and comfortable.

Everything he said, but I would also add if you've got any kind of gut they don't work very well

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I'll add my 2 cents, I use a cheap one from Amazon for walking in the neighborhood in gym shorts. Sorry I'm not sure what brand, but it has an elastic retention strap with a metal snap that works pretty well. The gun pocket is pretty small so I've only carried a Ruger LCR, but I've never had any issues with retention. It does what it claims, but they are hot and you'll sweat until you take it off. I wouldn't spend more than $20 or so as they all look like they're made by the same Chinese sweatshop.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a few and they work well for deep concealment. Belly Band and Comfort Tac are my two favorites as of late. Wrapped around the chest up to the armpits works well for deep concealment of a decent polymer framed auto under the arm vertical, much like a shoulder rig. The draw may be a bit awkward but it is very concealed and quite comfortable and secure. I prefer this location over actually around my abdomen and into the waistband. I have other methods for that type of carry that work better for me. Couple of considerations from my point of view: try a few, try a few positions and try a few different pistols. Something like a Sig 365 or Hellcat would be ideal, but bigger single stacks can be carried well in one the flatter and lighter pistol wins for this type of carry in my experience. A button dress shirt can give great cover, easy access if you wear the band over an undershirt. A polo style pullover also works well, even without going up a size.
    They work well at the pant line too, even combining waist band cover, but again, needs practice on the draw. Also I cannot attest to any challenges that a gut would add, but I’m thinking the bands or wraps are versatile in where you actually wear them. For best results, try multiple configuration/placement with more than one brand and skip any thoughts of loading it down with EDC items than will fit in your pocket, weight is the enemy with this type of carry. Extra mag goes in your pants pocket.

I’m not claiming to be a pro with these but I have used them regularly for years when the situation calls for it and I put a good bit of money and time into finding the sweet spot for me. What works well for me might not for you. So do your homework and have a lengthy trial basis til you find the right combination for your needs and until you feel confident/competent in this method.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom