Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I have never needed a bill of sale, especially a notarized bill of sale. I just walk into the title place, they ask how much I paid and that's it. I would go to another title place.
    Yeah I may try that if I don't figure something else out.

Marksman

User Info Menu

You think Louisiana cons you on tags? When I moved to Louisiana I was shocked to pay sales tax on an old beater because here MS sales tax stops on private transactions at the 10th model year. But I moved back to MS a couple years back and I just recently paid $700 to tag a travel trailer that I had already paid sales tax on, because here in Mississippi you pay Ad Valorem on Msrp on new purchases (minus some statutory reductions) and the Ad Valorem in Lamar county on RV’s is 7% of assessed value. So I will be paying the equivalent of sales tax on the value of this camper every year indefinitely. Also you can’t buy permanent plate for trailers. And my truck tag cost me the same for 1 year as it used to for 4 years. And I live in a county with low taxes.

Marksman

User Info Menu

You CAN buy permanent plates in La. for trailers, I have one on my camper

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Abear View Post
    Thinking its around the 70/77 dollar mark?
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Abear View Post
    I know I really miss that.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Thinking its around the 70/77 dollar mark?
    I think it was around $80 , 6 years ago

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

The post says " scrap vehicle " . If you are going to drive it on the road it's not " scrap " and you are going to have to pay to play . If you're going to only use it on private property then it's a moot point . What did I miss ?
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    The post says " scrap vehicle " . If you are going to drive it on the road it's not " scrap " and you are going to have to pay to play . If you're going to only use it on private property then it's a moot point . What did I miss ?
    The point I am trying to make, is that it is worth and bought at "scrap" price, not $22,000. I understand paying taxes on what it is worth. I don't understand paying taxes on 2,000% what it is worth. I guess that is what you missed. If someone moved to Louisiana with a 1989 Ford Ranger and the Title place said its worth $22,000, you owe us $1639, that is not "pay to play".

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

But why pay taxes at all ? Are you trying to get a plate ?
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    But why pay taxes at all ? Are you trying to get a plate ?
    I am not getting a plate on it now, I really just wanted to get the title done in my name so I can legally own it and sell it if I want or get it licensed in the future, and evidently you have to pay taxes on it to do that. Good new is I was able to get it done today by going to a different office and asking a few more question about how they were trying to determine the value of the truck.

So apparently when they don't see NADA value on a vehicle they just search around on the net looking for similar vehicles and their sale price to determine it's value. I was able to give a little more input during their search and they found a more similar vehicle with a more similar price although I still had to pay like 800$ in taxes on a 500$ vehicle. If there is a next time for me I will come prepared with some links to a few vehicles with a good sale price. Thanks for the input guys!