Anyone use a shell deflector on AR platform?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I picked up my first rifle a few weeks ago, an M&P 15-22, and breaking it in as diligently and aggressively as possible.

I did a lot of reading and research and upgrading the extractor was a near-universal recommendation. The Volquartsen extractor I popped in works so well the damn brass casings leave the gun at about the same velocity as the bullets.

I do most of my shooting at indoor ranges, and this means that about 10% of the shells ping back at me off the stall wall at 100mph and 350°, and I’ve got sexy little burn welts all over my right arm and down my neck. I got one down my buttcrack today and that was the first and last time I ever want to feel that feeling. If anyone was at SBISC this afternoon, I was the guy dancing a very awkward and frantic jig in lane 10.

Does anyone have any tips on a brass deflector type situation? I found a few OLD forum posts elsewhere about some small bolt-on shield type things that are no longer being made, but nothing much in recent years. I assume flying brass syndrome isn’t limited to the 22lr round, and this is probably a very stupid problem that most of you solved long ago.

Any advice, tips, etc would be amazing.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Yup, you need a brass catcher. I would not recommend the one which uses a velcro strap around the handguard. The opening while appearing to be of sufficient size and the fact that the material is attached to a loop of wire creating the opening only at the ejection port, the material sags closing the opening. This will lead to issues like the spent brass bouncing back into the action during fireing.
    I use the Caldwell AR15 Pic rail brass catcher. The material is on a frame which prevents the opening from being closed up due to sagging material. The catcher can be switched to other rifles in the future by just getting additional rail mounts. I believe Lyman makes their version now as well. Worth the money verses the headache of spending $15 for something that does not work as intended.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I use brass catchers at the range, but not while hog hunting. I like the picatinny Rail best as well. But with some applications, like night vision or a low mounted scope, it won’t fit so I have no choice but to use the Velcro version. And I do have an occasional bounce back, but it is not that big a deal at the range. There is also a hard plastic version that works really well but same issue with some optic mounts.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    All the M&P15-22 rifles that I seen have a shell deflector as a factory feature. Are you talking about a brass catcher?

You're correct, I had my terminology wrong. Mine does have the deflector "nub" at the rear of the ejection port, but it unfortunately seems to be more aesthetic than anything else, as the cases eject perpendicular to the gun and nowhere near that stock deflector.

The catcher is a great idea; I just assumed those were only useful for folks that reloaded and didn't make the connection. Thank you everyone.

I'll attach some pictures here of what I was envisioning, just for reference: something like the Brass Bully for $39.99 (which seems a bit ridiculous) or Johnson Deflector for $14.99. These could be totally stupid and gimmicky, I don't have the experience to tell.

BrassBully.jpgJohnsonDeflector.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    There is a .22 brass-catcher designed for the M16A1-A2 which snaps into the carry handle and hangs over the ejection port. I'd be glad to donate a couple to you for free, so you could experiment. I'm near Alexandria, know anyone that might be traveling through this area and could pick them up?

IMG_6036.jpgIMG_6037.jpgIMG_6035.jpgIMG_6034.jpg

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Bwahhaaahhaaaa, suckit Righties! Now you know how us Southpaws have to live life. I looked like I had chicken pox all thru Basic Training. The clip on brass deflectors for an M16 is about as effective and efficient as left-handed paper cruncher-uppers (I mean "scissors"). But I'm not bitter...:dogkeke:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    The Brass Bully works well. I just made mine though, pretty easy. Uses a rail mount so I can swap it between guns. Just adjust deflection for whatever caliber. Don’t have a problem getting pelted with brass though. I just like all my brass in a little pile.

TC-Accessories makes a couple of models and are approved for High Power service rifle matches. I use their carry handle model and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The Caldwell Pic Rail Brass Catcher was mentioned earlier. It happens to be on sale on Amazon right now for about $25.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Res...als_match:21213697011&rnid=21213696011&sr=8-7

One of the pics on that page shows an ar with a left side forward assist bolted on the upper. I realized I never thought about it until today that there are left handed bcg's.

91%2B0rHsJQOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There are complete left hand uppers.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    i remember a brass deflector which was used with the m-16. it was used on the M-16a model. I have not seen one in 30+ years it would clip inside of the carry handle..

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    i remember a brass deflector which was used with the m-16. it was used on the M-16a model. I have not seen one in 30+ years it would clip inside of the carry handle..

And it "deflected" the brass right back into the chamber about 90% of the time. It's tough living in a right-handed world. Hmmmm, I think I should get some free stuff from the gov't for it... :dogkeke:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    LOL! I attended a training event last fall they had us stacked pretty tight, we were doing a carbine segment, and the kid to my right was crying because my 5.56 brass was hitting him on the left shoulder. Most of these guys were Law and had some pretty tacticool loadouts. I was wearing my fleece and WileyX and one of the older guys asked to swap positions so he could pelt me with his pistol carbine. He pelted me for a while and to his surprise I was unphased. I have years of experience getting kissed by brass from full autos. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and a casing will be so hot it will stick to your skin.. I actually have a significant second degree burn on my hand from a machine gun shell from my military years. I invested in Kevlar gloves after that incident. Brass catchers can be nice. But eventually you’ll get used to hot brass. I will say my Valkyrie brass is so hot when it ejects it’s certifiably brutal and will actually melt itself so deep into ice in the winter that it’s nearly impossible to retrieve. Good luck!

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Ended up going with the Brass Bully. Wouldn't have been mad if it was a few bucks cheaper, but works like a hot damn so far. (Came in unfinished aluminum so I gave it a quick blast with some black rustoleum, then didn't wait long enough to dry before installing, which is why the finish isn't flawless.)
    wRQiS9C.jpg

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    That's a good choice if you are not trying to save the brass. We used them on a helicopter hog hunt in Texas a few years ago. They worked good. A deflector or a catcher was required in the chopper.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom