Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Target

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Anyone use a shell deflector on AR platform?

I picked up my first rifle a few weeks ago, an M&P 15-22, and breaking it in as diligently and aggressively as possible.

I did a lot of reading and research and upgrading the extractor was a near-universal recommendation. The Volquartsen extractor I popped in works so well the damn brass casings leave the gun at about the same velocity as the bullets.

I do most of my shooting at indoor ranges, and this means that about 10% of the shells ping back at me off the stall wall at 100mph and 350į, and Iíve got sexy little burn welts all over my right arm and down my neck. I got one down my buttcrack today and that was the first and last time I ever want to feel that feeling. If anyone was at SBISC this afternoon, I was the guy dancing a very awkward and frantic jig in lane 10.

Does anyone have any tips on a brass deflector type situation? I found a few OLD forum posts elsewhere about some small bolt-on shield type things that are no longer being made, but nothing much in recent years. I assume flying brass syndrome isnít limited to the 22lr round, and this is probably a very stupid problem that most of you solved long ago.

Any advice, tips, etc would be amazing.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

All the M&P15-22 rifles that I seen have a shell deflector as a factory feature. Are you talking about a brass catcher?
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

enthusiast

User Info Menu

Think Caldwell has a brass catcher that may work for you
    Stephen

Marksman

User Info Menu

Just bought a Caldwell catcher with the picatinny mount. Only used it once so far, but seems to do the job.
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yup, you need a brass catcher. I would not recommend the one which uses a velcro strap around the handguard. The opening while appearing to be of sufficient size and the fact that the material is attached to a loop of wire creating the opening only at the ejection port, the material sags closing the opening. This will lead to issues like the spent brass bouncing back into the action during fireing.
    I use the Caldwell AR15 Pic rail brass catcher. The material is on a frame which prevents the opening from being closed up due to sagging material. The catcher can be switched to other rifles in the future by just getting additional rail mounts. I believe Lyman makes their version now as well. Worth the money verses the headache of spending $15 for something that does not work as intended.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use brass catchers at the range, but not while hog hunting. I like the picatinny Rail best as well. But with some applications, like night vision or a low mounted scope, it won’t fit so I have no choice but to use the Velcro version. And I do have an occasional bounce back, but it is not that big a deal at the range. There is also a hard plastic version that works really well but same issue with some optic mounts.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john17427 View Post
    Just bought a Caldwell catcher with the picatinny mount. Only used it once so far, but seems to do the job.
    This is the only one worth using.

The brass catchers that use a velcro tie around the handguard are junk.

On Target

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcm192 View Post
    All the M&P15-22 rifles that I seen have a shell deflector as a factory feature. Are you talking about a brass catcher?
    You're correct, I had my terminology wrong. Mine does have the deflector "nub" at the rear of the ejection port, but it unfortunately seems to be more aesthetic than anything else, as the cases eject perpendicular to the gun and nowhere near that stock deflector.

The catcher is a great idea; I just assumed those were only useful for folks that reloaded and didn't make the connection. Thank you everyone.

I'll attach some pictures here of what I was envisioning, just for reference: something like the Brass Bully for $39.99 (which seems a bit ridiculous) or Johnson Deflector for $14.99. These could be totally stupid and gimmicky, I don't have the experience to tell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrassBully.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	96524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JohnsonDeflector.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	96525
    Last edited by southerncanuck; June 27th, 2020 at 11:10 AM.

Blackhawk

User Info Menu

There is a .22 brass-catcher designed for the M16A1-A2 which snaps into the carry handle and hangs over the ejection port. I'd be glad to donate a couple to you for free, so you could experiment. I'm near Alexandria, know anyone that might be traveling through this area and could pick them up?

Name:	IMG_6036.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	96540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6037.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	96539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	96541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6034.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	96542
    Phu Bai, Vietnam, 1968-69
    Baghdad, Iraq, 2004-05

Blackhawk

User Info Menu

Per our PM, this is how it looks on a rifle, if this gives you some ideas:

Name:	IMG_6039.jpg 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	96548 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6040.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	96549 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6041.jpg 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	96550

Name:	IMG_6042.jpg 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	96551 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6043.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	96552
    Phu Bai, Vietnam, 1968-69
    Baghdad, Iraq, 2004-05