What AR15 M4 does your wife shoot my wife need a lighter one

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    Does anyone know a good manufacturer who makes a light AR-15 5lbs and under?My wife is small frame and the 6920 is too heavy. Thank you

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    How much do you want to spend?
    Are you okay with an AR Pistol or SBR?
    Are you okay with a pinned 14.5" carbine?
    Are you wanting the rifle to be 5 lbs loaded or unloaded?
    Does the weight include an optic?
    Are you planning to add accessories, such as a WML, to the handguard?
    Is this just for plinking or serious use?

If you own a 6920, I can assume you want to purchase something of quality. Knowing what your budget is will greatly determine what is recommended.

Generally, for a lightweight gun that doesn't deviate from the standard design, you will want to look into a 14.5 pinned barrel of a lightweight profile and a lightweight handguard. Those will be your biggest weight savings.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    This could be an interesting thread to watch. Daniel’s Defense used to be Beloved for their lightweight options but recent threads have lead me to believe quality doesn’t matchup to hype. I may have misunderstood some stuff.

Maybe swap to a carbon barrel on a relatively light gun. I’m not sure your budget but leaving some weight in the rear and lightening up the front would make it easier to mount. But carbon is pretty expensive.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    JP makes a ultralight rifle that comes in at 6lbs, if you take the heat sink off you’ll be real close to the 5 you want. JP makes quality rifles you won’t be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you build it yourself you can get down to like 3 or 4 lbs but it requires a ton of titanium parts and those aren't cheap. Also, CF handguards and ultra-lightweight stocks would have to be used. There was a thread on 68forums about a lightweight ar15 but they changed forum software a bit ago and I haven't taken the time to find out how to get to my subscribed threads or I could get you the link.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    My wife likes the ddm4v7 SLW... I have an aero 14.5” pin/ welded build with the atlas s-1 that real light

Attachments

• 96ED9F6E-11DD-4DED-BE48-C16859BC7F8D.jpg
      96ED9F6E-11DD-4DED-BE48-C16859BC7F8D.jpg
      275.5 KB · Views: 109

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you want to get a look at and the feel of a JP Light Wt. rifle, you can at Louisiana Gun. They have one in stock. They are at 12728 Jefferson Hwy. BR

Bryan

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Once the lower is available the WWSD 2020 project is using a polymer lower that’s very light with a pencil barrel.

I think KE Arms will be the manufacturer of the lower. More information about the WWSD 2020 project you can watch videos on YouTube from InRangeTV or go to Brownells for more information.

I’m not endorsing it. Hell it doesn’t even yet but it’s a lower cost option that is designed from the ground up for low weight reliability. They’re saying the lowers will begin shipping next month.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Due east
    BCM has a 14.5" upper that would come in at just under six pounds (plus optic) as a complete rifle. Unfortunately, the complete upper runs around $1K by the time you add BCG and charging handle, etc.

I wish that I had bought one of the Robar polymer ARs when they were still available.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Get rid of the junk (heavy accessories) and back to the basics. 16" (or less with a stamp) pencil barrel with iron sights, or lightest optic available if you absolutely have to have one. Plain handguard with no or one small rail for a light which is mounted only when needed. Go to 10 round magazines for her (or only partly load your 30-rounders). Don't know if a plain buttstock is lighter than the adjustable butt - research it.

As a sidetrack - My wife likes my 5.2 lb (5.8 lb loaded) M1 Carbine much better than any of the ARs for our farm use because of the weight and simplicity. At 2 MOA with iron sights, it's perfect for her out to 150 yds or so.

Last edited:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Does anyone know a good manufacturer who makes a light AR-15 5lbs and under?My wife is small frame and the 6920 is too heavy. Thank you

I don't know about under 5lbs but IMHO the best is a USGI carbine with a pencil barrel and standard military furniture. I have found Magpul and non-Colt furniture to be heavier. My Colt carbine (dual shielded) hand guard and waffle stocks are very lightweight. You can get a 6920 or 6920 OEM, and swap the barrel with a nice pencil barrel, and possibly keep the spare or sell it to recoup investment.

Use a Magpul rear BUIS it weighs nothing. The FSP helps keep recoil down. If she needs an optic the pistol style reflex optics like Vortex Viper and a Samson/Vortex lower 1/3rd mount. A BFG V1 sling is great minimalist sling.

You can play with furniture to reduce a bit of weight but you really don't need anything more than BUIS for a defense gun. Focusing on establishing a kit with loaded magazines is more important and getting your wife proficient in handling the gun. An ambi BCM charging handle makes it easier for smaller people to charge the handle. I have a ultra lightweight fore-end that would be nice if you can remove the FSP and replace with a low pro gas block and add the fore-end, but you have to ensure you do not mess up the gas system...it would allow her to hold closer to the muzzle and control muzzle rise and get back on target faster. There are many options if you want to take this additional step: and due to the low weight of some fore-ends you may shave weight off overall.

Good luck! In the end the body mechanics is the way your wife will learn to handle the AR15, once she gets the mechanics it's really incredibly easy to handle and operate. Any lighter than 6lbs and the recoil of full power 5.56N defense cartridges being cycled through the operating system will throw the sights off more than need be.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I think Faxon makes a very light AR.

Have you thought about an M1 Carbine?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members