Home Security Cameras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Looking to add some cameras to the house. Wanting to add between 4-6 cameras. The way my home is built I have no access to run any wires/cables, therefore I will need a wire free system. Are there any experts that could point me in the right direction?

Wishes:
    -DIY system preferred but open to professional installation
    -Remote monitoring
    -No monthly subscription
    -Local hard drive storage
    -Minimum 1080p
    -Audio optional(not set either way)
    -Lithium batteries

I’m located in the Raceland/Houma/Thibodaux area if any professionals are local to the area.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dieselhorses

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Looking to add some cameras to the house. Wanting to add between 4-6 cameras. The way my home is built I have no access to run any wires/cables, therefore I will need a wire free system. Are there any experts that could point me in the right direction?

Wishes:
    -DIY system preferred but open to professional installation
    -Remote monitoring
    -No monthly subscription
    -Local hard drive storage
    -Minimum 1080p
    -Audio optional(not set either way)
    -Lithium batteries

I’m located in the Raceland/Houma/Thibodaux area if any professionals are local to the area.

Thanks in advance!!

You still have to get power to cameras so wireless com or not still have to have a wire. I use my old sercomm cameras from a previous cable company. For under 300.00 you can get an NVR and 4 cameras with software from HF.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    You still have to get power to cameras so wireless com or not still have to have a wire. I use my old sercomm cameras from a previous cable company. For under 300.00 you can get an NVR and 4 cameras with software from HF.

I haven’t done what I would consider extensive research yet, but I believe I understood wire free systems to be battery powered. Hence, my wish to have lithium batteries. I could be mistaken though.

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    I used Ubiquiti camera's at my office. Ive used their network switches and wireless access points for years and its always been pretty solid.

https://www.ui.com/products/#unifivideo

I mounted the outdoor G3 and G3 Pro right next to each other to compare and the Pro is way better picture. I havent tried the new 4k ones yet.

Because they are ethernet cameras, you only have to run 1 Cat5 cable to each camera. As running wires goes, its one of the easier ones.

No monthly charge for them, can view from intenet, has a mobile app.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I just installed a new Lorex 16 Ch Bnc /DVR style. I went with it because I wanted it Use the same wire as my old one. It worked but the longer runs the wire is crap. If I did it over again I would go power of Ethernet style etc. One suggestion - make sure the app is solid for whichever style you select. You will use it for viewing a lot so it better be descent and have the features you want. I got 30% off on Lorex from their website several weeks ago. So far so good. I also added a Lorex front door bell camera which rides on the same app and does not go into the cloud like ring which I like.

I may put my old 420 DVR and cameras for
    Sale here soon for cheap If someone wants one to at least see activity etc.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I just installed a new Lorex 16 Ch Bnc /DVR style. I went with it because I wanted it Use the same wire as my old one. It worked but the longer runs the wire is crap. If I did it over again I would go power of Ethernet style etc. One suggestion - make sure the app is solid for whichever style you select. You will use it for viewing a lot so it better be descent and have the features you want. I got 30% off on Lorex from their website several weeks ago. So far so good. I also added a Lorex front door bell camera which rides on the same app and does not go into the cloud like ring which I like.

I may put my old 420 DVR and cameras for
    Sale here soon for cheap If someone wants one to at least see activity etc.

How’s does the Lorex app seem to perform?

My biggest issue is needing to be totally wire free. The batteries seem decent but connectivity, there seems to be some issues.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I like the Lorex app. It’s way better than what I had. My biggest pro is it was able to be my one
    Source for my wireless doorbell cam and the wired cameras.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have arlo. Mostly Bc you can buy them anywhere and I literally stopped by Best Buy two days before I was leaving for over seas and it was nice to be able to keep an eye on my house

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I have arlo. Mostly Bc you can buy them anywhere and I literally stopped by Best Buy two days before I was leaving for over seas and it was nice to be able to keep an eye on my house

Which Arlo system did you go with? The Arlo Ultra and Pro 3 are high on my list.

Any issues with the app? I’ve read some people say it lags 5-7 seconds.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I just replaced my old cameras (Coax PAL) with a Lorex 8 channel DVR with 4 wireless MPX WiFi cameras. 1080p, wireless except for an AC adapter to run them so needs to be relatively close to power. The IR night vision is way more impressive than I ever thought and easily illuminates out to 75-100ft. Motion detection sensitivity is settable across any grid in the image to prevent false triggers from tree branches, etc. Warranty is good and there is actually a support number to call if you need help. Tried the number before I ordered and got through no problem to make sure on that.

Pretty impressed for $300 and much better than the system I was using which cost 3X that and old technology. The phone app works fine and no need for any firewall monkeying. Cloud account is included and there is no monthly fee. Recording is local to the hard drive and you don’t have to use internet at all if you don’t want to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Check out the Blink outdoor cameras.
    2 AA lithium’s last a while. Uploads to a cloud however they do not charge monthly fees.
    Notifications are sent to your phone when motion is triggered.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Which Arlo system did you go with? The Arlo Ultra and Pro 3 are high on my list.

Any issues with the app? I’ve read some people say it lags 5-7 seconds.

I have the arlo pro from a year or two ago. Easy to set up, app works fine but yes, there will be a few second lag before it catches movement. So for instance it won’t catch someone going into the driveway till they are actually in the driveway.

But I will see people deliver packages etc.

Here’s the less clear version (pro) vs pro 2 and ultra they have now.

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/547E1DA07C2EC137_202007

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You're not going to get around paying a monthly fee unless you go old school and have the cameras saving everything to a server at your home. Pros - buy once cry once, better security where strangers won't be looking at your cameras through the internet. Cons - Remote management is more difficult, likely miss out on phone notifications/alerts when there's motion, act of God destroys your house the server goes with it with all helpful footage, lots more expensive up front.

Cloud offers so many benefits and you can find cheap cameras like the $25 Wyze that just need power and then connect to your wifi. The footage is stored on cloud servers, can be accessed easily from any of your devices, and you just pay the monthly fee for the service. Of course you open yourself up to employees of the company who can access the camera or giving up footage without your consent to law enforcement.

Like all things, there's good and bad and you gotta figure out what solution works best for you.

Finding completely wireless cameras isn't impossible but it isn't cheap for something made well. I set one of the Ring cameras with solar panel up for my uncle and he's been happy with it. Just connect it to your wifi and put it where you want it. Ring is $30 per year per camera or you can pay $100 per year for unlimited cameras at one address (plus alarm monitoring if you get a ring alarm).

https://shop.ring.com/products/spotlight-cam-solar (with light) https://shop.ring.com/products/stick-up-security-camera-solar (no light) Installation Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ySyLPlunY

There are other cameras that have batteries with solar but I don't have first hand experience with them. I've heard good things about Reolink and they're a little cheaper than Ring https://reolink.com/product/argus-2/

I just replaced my old cameras (Coax PAL) with a Lorex 8 channel DVR with 4 wireless MPX WiFi cameras. 1080p, wireless except for an AC adapter to run them so needs to be relatively close to power. The IR night vision is way more impressive than I ever thought and easily illuminates out to 75-100ft. Motion detection sensitivity is settable across any grid in the image to prevent false triggers from tree branches, etc. Warranty is good and there is actually a support number to call if you need help. Tried the number before I ordered and got through no problem to make sure on that.

Pretty impressed for $300 and much better than the system I was using which cost 3X that and old technology. The phone app works fine and no need for any firewall monkeying. Cloud account is included and there is no monthly fee. Recording is local to the hard drive and you don’t have to use internet at all if you don’t want to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sounds pretty nice. So it kinda shuts down my comments about the cons to not using cloud storage. Interested to figure out how it works with the cloud when everything is stored locally especially if it isn't requiring port forwarding or windows firewall config. Also curious of what backup plans exist if the company goes out of business and shuts down their servers. What app would you be able to use then? Or would you still be able to keep using your system indefinitely?

I wanted to get some cameras for my house but just don't trust the footage being accessible by untrustworthy employees. I have the ring doorbell cam but would never put a ring camera inside my house.

Last edited:

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I have the POE Reolink setup for my house. I have the new solar powered cell camera at a house under construction. I had it outside to monitor framing and moved it inside to monitor for people looking for free stuff. I have been very pleased with the remote access from cell phones as well as quality at night and during the day.

tun_o_matic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Walker, LA
    check out wyze.com They just announced a new outdoor camera that is battery powered and offers online storage with no fees as well as the app. I use their regular camera outdoors under a cover and they do fine but do need usb power. Won't find a cheaper setup and the quality and features compare to the ring and blink cameras.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I have the Arlo ultra and love the system. I have a camera above my front door vs. a doorbell and even if I have a little lag it still starts recording when a person is about 10’ from the door. I can clearly get the mailman etc. even caught one of the neighbor girls leaving my son an *anonymous* gift. I never told him or he would get weird every time he saw her, lol. It’s been good, but I wish I could constantly record to a hard drive. I haven’t looked into it completely yet, but I think if you run direct power and have a large HD that it’s possible, but I need to run power to all of them first. I would highly recommend it though.

ben5446

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    gonzales, la
    I personally like the Reolink cameras. They offer powered Wifi, POE or battery Wifi cameras with the ability to plug in solar cells. The battery cams are not good for continuous monitoring (tried one and sent it back).

If you don't want to pay cloud hosting fees and you purchase any type if IP network cameras then I highly recommend buying a decent used business computer off ebay (~$200) and using Blue-Iris software ($70). It is fully customizable with remote monitoring and alerts. I've tried other NVR software like Zoneminder (Linux based) and iSpy but these both had drawbacks and required way more processing power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom