shooting on public land

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • icistech

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    As a child in the 80's, my father and I used to go to the Bonnet Carre spillway off of Airline to shoot. We would drive a mile or so back and then setup targets against the spillway (cans, plastic bottles, maybe an old tv) and clean up when we were done. What I refer to as "redneck target shooting". Maybe not as tacticool as serious practice time at the range, but a good time. A lot has changed since then.

I know that the spillway is inaccessible and ranges are currently limited. I would like to take my 15yo son out shooting. Are there any public places that are ok to go target shooting? What are the laws on this and are there maps of ok places to shoot?

I am sorry if I am being niave, but I cant seem to find anything on this.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As a child in the 80's, my father and I used to go to the Bonnet Carre spillway off of Airline to shoot. We would drive a mile or so back and then setup targets against the spillway (cans, plastic bottles, maybe an old tv) and clean up when we were done. What I refer to as "redneck target shooting". Maybe not as tacticool as serious practice time at the range, but a good time. A lot has changed since then.

I know that the spillway is inaccessible and ranges are currently limited. I would like to take my 15yo son out shooting. Are there any public places that are ok to go target shooting? What are the laws on this and are there maps of ok places to shoot?

I am sorry if I am being niave, but I cant seem to find anything on this.

Short answer, No.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    For close cheap fun in NOLA / Slidel area is Honey Island Shooting Range. For $6.00 you can shoot all day. Just bring ammo and targets (no TVs, bottles etc.) paper targets.
    Less than 16 years old, free entry with Adult.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    For close cheap fun in NOLA / Slidel area is Honey Island Shooting Range. For $6.00 you can shoot all day. Just bring ammo and targets (no TVs, bottles etc.) paper targets.
    Less than 16 years old, free entry with Adult.

OP, check their home page for status and updates

https://www.honeyisland.org/

Reminder, you have to have a hunting/fishing license or generic wildlife stamp if they still do those to be in the Honey Island management area. They don't ask to see it at the range, but if Wildlife and Fisheries stops you and you don't have one, you can get your pee-pee spanked with some expensive cites. I don't know if they'd seize your firearms. I got stopped at the entrance going in once, was schooled on the rule, and turned around to go get a stamp at Wal-mart (used to be only a couple bucks, less than a fishing license), but you might not get leniency if stopped already within the property. Could depend on what kind of day the agent's having.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Reminder, you have to have a hunting/fishing license or generic wildlife stamp if they still do those to be in the Honey Island management area. They don't ask to see it at the range, but if Wildlife and Fisheries stops you and you don't have one, you can get your pee-pee spanked with some expensive cites. I don't know if they'd seize your firearms. I got stopped at the entrance going in once, was schooled on the rule, and turned around to go get a stamp at Wal-mart (used to be only a couple bucks, less than a fishing license), but you might not get leniency if stopped already within the property. Could depend on what kind of day the agent's having.

Not anymore.You keep the pull number you get when checking in at the range and that is all you need to show game warden.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not anymore.You keep the pull number you get when checking in at the range and that is all you need to show game warden.

You still need a Fishing/Hunting License or Wildlife Stamp to enter the WMA.

Showing the Warden your stub is so you don’t have to fill out a Self-Clearing Permit when you arrive at the WMA gate.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I stand corrected.

There was a lot of confusion about it when they originally implemented the "system" at the range. They ask that you also initial and date the stub. Since the range is run entirely by volunteers, it took some time for all of the RSO's and Game Wardens to get on the same page. I'm guilty of filling out Self-Clearing Permits stating I was sight seeing for the Swamp Monster, so I'm sure LDWF was happy to save those permits for people actually going into the WMA for reasons other than the range. Most of the time I would go to fill out a permit and there were none to be found.

gamma_ray

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    I really don’t understand why you can’t go out to Kisatchie and shoot. Provided you’re being safe and all that. Other national forests allow that. You just need to be so many yards from a road and abide by a few other very reasonable guidelines. From what I understand, in Kisatchie you can’t even open carry. Why do we accept that?

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I used to do a lot of target shooting in the spillway years ago. Sadly, idiots who can't clean up their mess ruined that for everyone else and now I don't believe shooting (other than hunting) is allowed anywhere in the spillway. Much like the Buffer Zone, morons killed our fun...

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Yea when people start dumping old washers and dryers and other appliances and then use them for target practice leaving a bunch of junk the authorities usually get involved

This is why we can't have nice things :(

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    There was a lot of confusion about it when they originally implemented the "system" at the range. They ask that you also initial and date the stub. Since the range is run entirely by volunteers, it took some time for all of the RSO's and Game Wardens to get on the same page. I'm guilty of filling out Self-Clearing Permits stating I was sight seeing for the Swamp Monster, so I'm sure LDWF was happy to save those permits for people actually going into the WMA for reasons other than the range. Most of the time I would go to fill out a permit and there were none to be found.
    I always fill out a self clearing permit when I go, even though it's been a while since I've been there. My thinking is that it shows that the place is being used so they'll keep funding it with my tax dollars. I'll fill one out at any WMA that has the permit station.
    They now have the app you can download to check in/out. I haven't used it so I'm not sure how good it works in areas with spotty cell coverage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I always fill out a self clearing permit when I go, even though it's been a while since I've been there. My thinking is that it shows that the place is being used so they'll keep funding it with my tax dollars. I'll fill one out at any WMA that has the permit station.

That's exactly what I've been told by wardens at Sherburne. The amount of funding they get comes from how many people use the WMA's and they keep track of how many people use the area by the self-clearing permits. Filling them out keeps these places open plain and simple.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    They now have the app you can download to check in/out. I haven't used it so I'm not sure how good it works in areas with spotty cell coverage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

There is no need.

Honey Island Shooting Range is tracked independently by the book you sign and the ticket stubs.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Over here we have a range in De Soto National forest we have an un-manned designated range with benches and an awning and yard markers but it’s always filthy people just suck. It’s not super far to a Camp Shelby range. On a good day you can here saws and deuces running in the distance. I wish people would just not be $hitbags because I would hate to lose something so uniquely American.

Top Bottom