Thought exercise for the legal experts and the rest of us

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    So I’m sure this has been discussed but I can’t search on my half broke iPhone six. Also can’t easily type numbers.

The hearing protection act. Supposed to re designate suppressors from nfa items to just muzzle devices. Been reading the suppressor market is way down and form four approval times are down to eight to twelve weeks because nobody wants to barf our two hundred bucks and wait for something you might be able to buy over the counter soon. Soon being that nebulous term meaning probably never but we’ll milk this cow til the teats fall off.

Let’s say it does pass and atf suddenly isn’t responsible for telling people they can’t own suppressors. What happens to all the applications in process? Are they just deleted and the nfa dealer just calls the applicant to come get their property? Foregone conclusion ain’t nobody getting their tax stamp money back since that was spent before the ink dried on the deposit slip. Also foregone conclusion all the info will stay on file in perpetuity regardless of how illegal that is.

Discuss? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    8 to 12 weeks? Where are these numbers from?

I sell NFA items and do the forms on the reg. Latest I have seen is 7 months and I thought that was an improvement!

But as far as the gubment taking money....depending on the legislature that passed and how its worded would probably dictate if they have to return funds back to the tax slaves. I say good luck. They love taxing us. I hate to sound so pessimistic and say it but I dont see it happening anytime soon. But thats just the dead horse speaking I reckon.

Last edited:

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    I am an NFA dealer in Lafayette; last year wait times were averaging 10 months on a trust and 9 months for individual applications.

This year I have received several 7 month stamps, one 4.5 month stamp, and the last was just under 6 months.

The Hearing Protection Act died with Parkland; Republicans lost their will to push it and now, with Democrats controlling the house, there is no chance it will be passed.

If you want an NFA item, buy it and wait your time; if you are waiting for HPA to pass, you may die before then.

George @ Armbruster Armory, LLC

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can see them not making it retroactive. So any cans bought before the date are subject to the old law and still need a tax stamp. The "workaround" would be to go to the gunshop and return the one bought before the date and buy it after the date. At that point, the application is no longer needed. If I were to be 2 months into the approval process and the check has been cashed and I change my mind now, what happens to the funds?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I wish it was 12 weeks, and the companies may be hurting, but I feel like suppressor supply is way down right now.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Buddy of mine was talking w ATF folks recently. We should really start looking more at the form 1 process than the form 4. The hard copy forms are a giant nuisance but the online e-file tool has been returning approvals in about 2 weeks or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I'm not an attorney, and I've never played one on TV. Also, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Please look at Harper vs. Virginia Board of Elections.

The Supreme Court ruled that rights were granted by your creator and cannot be bought sold or taxed out of existence. They also went as far as saying that rights were not dependent on your "affluence". This case had to do with voting rights, but if applied to 2A rights then the National Firearms Act would be unconstitutional. As would Louisiana's concealed carry permit scheme, Elizabeth Warrens plan to tax gun rights out of existence, and many others.

Your Thoughts?

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    The suppressor market is not down...go try to find something in stock. Just like guns and ammo, suppressors are hard to find now. Go look at Silencershop.com and see how many are backorder/oos. Also, best times I've seen lately is 6-7 months. You may be confusing Form 1 times with Form 4 times. You can Form 1 and build a suppressor and IF you file it online you could get your stamp back in 4 weeks.

Top Bottom