Blast cans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Are you talking about Witt Machine's SME?

https://www.wittmachine.net/sme-sound-mitigation-equipment-lightweight-non-cla/

If so, nah. Not NFA. Same goes for the Surefire Warden.

https://www.surefire.com/products/s...o limits any dust,fired from a prone position.

Mitigation of sound is not the same as suppressing sound. Mitigation in this particular scenario serves the purpose of directing sound forward away from the shooters ear in a "linear" fashion.

Most devices that aid in the act of sound suppression when firing a modern firearm are subject to NFA regulations per the ATF.

So for example a Colt type m16 "moderator" that DOES aid in the act of suppression is required to be transferred through a NFA dealer. Here is an example of a reproduction that is subject to said regulation.

https://innovativeindustriesllc.com/xm177-moderator/

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Good info
    Blast cans like the flaming pig and others are as legal as a A2 birdcage.
    I prefer them or a good linear comp on anything with a short barrel for sure. They really do a good job of directing the blast forward as well, rather than blowing stuff off the bench and potentially causing any sort of damage as well as providing a little more comfort when shooting a few hundred rounds. Also, if you shoot at a public range you might make more friends if you don’t show up with a tank comp on that 16 inch barreled AR10.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Good info
    Blast cans like the flaming pig and others are as legal as a A2 birdcage.
    I prefer them or a good linear comp on anything with a short barrel for sure. They really do a good job of directing the blast forward as well, rather than blowing stuff off the bench and potentially causing any sort of damage as well as providing a little more comfort when shooting a few hundred rounds. Also, if you shoot at a public range you might make more friends if you don’t show up with a tank comp on that 16 inch barreled AR10.

Whew, . . .

For a second I thought you were going to say I shouldn't put the tank comp on my 7" 5.56 at the range.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Whew, . . .

For a second I thought you were going to say I shouldn't put the tank comp on my 7" 5.56 at the range.
    Hahahahaha!! Go right ahead. Just make sure you wear good eye and face protection. And maybe some leather gloves. And don’t leave that big gulp sitting on the shooting bench.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Hahahahaha!! Go right ahead. Just make sure you wear good eye and face protection. And maybe some leather gloves. And don’t leave that big gulp sitting on the shooting bench.

Saturday I was shooting an 11.5" with a blast can at Honey Island.

Oddly, nobody wanted to sit next to me. :confused:

With the blast can, it was not obnoxious from behind the gun.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    So is a linear compensator the same as blast can and can I expect to not have any friends when shooting a 8" AR 40 with a linear comp on it?
    My understanding was that it directed the sound forward and it would be a little easier on myself and others.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So is a linear compensator the same as blast can and can I expect to not have any friends when shooting a 8" AR 40 with a linear comp on it?
    My understanding was that it directed the sound forward and it would be a little easier on myself and others.

Linear compensators and blast cans are the same.

Things like the Surefire Warden and Dead Air Pyro work similarly, except they slip over a QD muzzle device.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Sort of off topic but related to cans and comps. POI and POA tend to shift with the introduction of a muzzle device. Anyone have velocity number on that? I know barrel harmonics play a roll in the modified trajectory but I’m guessing some comps could increase velocity.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sort of off topic but related to cans and comps. POI and POA tend to shift with the introduction of a muzzle device. Anyone have velocity number on that? I know barrel harmonics play a roll in the modified trajectory but I’m guessing some comps could increase velocity.

Anyone with a sub-10 inch AR already compromised the ballistic properties of .223/5.56. I wouldn’t be concerned with any POI shifts from a muzzle device at that point.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Anyone with a sub-10 inch AR already compromised the ballistic properties of .223/5.56. I wouldn’t be concerned with any POI shifts from a muzzle device at that point.

Yeah, wasn’t really concerned with short barrel applications. Just wonder if a comp would increase velocities significantly. I know suppressors do but they are much longer and heavier. Sound forwarding and velocity would be my personal interest in a particular application.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

The mini blast can, (KAK), I have is aluminum. I have my concerns about that, but a shift in POI isn't one of them. Just not much mass there to make a difference in the harmonics for better, or for worse.
    Perhaps some disruption in the air around the muzzle, like a bad crown ?

I'm going to chrono mine on the 26th. I'll be shooting at a different location than H.I. Chronos are a pain at Honey Island, waiting for the range to go cold each time.

I'm going to sell my 7" barrel/gas tub/handguard because everything I've read says that 11.5" is the shortest one should go.

Honestly, I like the 11.5" enough that I"m looking at a mid-length 14.5" pencil profile from Faxon. I can pin and weld, well, with help I can.

https://www.google.com/search?q=opt....69i57j0l7.17929j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm going to chrono mine on the 26th. I'll be shooting at a different location than H.I. Chronos are a pain at Honey Island, waiting for the range to go cold each time.

I'm going to sell my 7" barrel/gas tub/handguard because everything I've read says that 11.5" is the shortest one should go.

Honestly, I like the 11.5" enough that I"m looking at a mid-length 14.5" pencil profile from Faxon. I can pin and weld, well, with help I can.

https://www.google.com/search?q=opt....69i57j0l7.17929j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you want 5.56 to perform as intended, then 11.5" is the lowest you SHOULD go. That being said, 10.3 and 10.5 still have a place, but anything shorter than 10.3 is just beating the gun up with the added disadvantages of velocity loss, overgassing, and accelerated erosion. If you don't have plans to suppress it or use it for a HD gun, then there isn't much point to building out a short gun. 14.5" pinned or 16" is fine for general use.

Decide what length you want, then decide what you intend to do with it. All barrels are not created equal. Cheap barrels will be cheap and oversize gas ports are common.

223-barrel-length-velocity-umc-55-grain-26-to-6-inches.png

m193-barrel-length-and-velocity-26-to-6-inches.png

m855-barrel-length-veocity-26-to-6-inches1.png

223-rem-heavy-match-68-grain-barrel-length-velocity-26-to-6-inches.png

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yeah, wasn’t really concerned with short barrel applications. Just wonder if a comp would increase velocities significantly. I know suppressors do but they are much longer and heavier. Sound forwarding and velocity would be my personal interest in a particular application.
    I wouldn’t think a comp would change the velocity to any significant degree.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The blast cans I have are 2 or 3 chamber comps with external threads for the large tube to shroud the comp so you get good compensation for the recoil/muzzel rise and then the blast that usually blows out the sides gets sent down range. The linear comp is not as effective in mitigating recoil and muzzle rise but still sends the blast forward.
    If you choose the right combo in a comp with external threads, you can just crank that on your barrel for keeps, which allows you to quick attach the blast can or suppressor that has matching threads as you please without removing the muzzle device.
    dc693d1af8aa3f854c29a8441707a7c5.jpg

6fdaece8acbe135d3985ed62657f8956.jpg

59a75c0e61da0cd30a3760bb0291b75d.jpg

This is a linear comp. They’re all pretty much the same.

a949abf6acd4b6b74f122733bd992cef.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom