Firearm accessories stolen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Had some a**hole steal a couple packages off my front porch the other night. First time this has happened, and other than being pissed off and annoyed I'm not overly concerned with the financial loss (it was about 200 bucks worth of stuff) but here's something I wanted to ask you guys: In the stack of packages that got swiped were a couple handgun magazines and holsters. The value aside, now whoever swiped this stuff knows my name, address and that I probably have firearms in the house. I've got video security, motion lights and an alarm system.

I'm new-ish to New Orleans, about 5 years, so not intimately familiar with crime patterns... do you think they'll be back to feed on my house or vehicle, or is this probably just a one-shot deal crime of opportunity? (I don't store anything valuable in my vehicle, but I do enjoy having the windows intact.)

Here's a video just for reference, it's nothing too exciting.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8m9zgxepybdiag/RingVideo_6845480534643075407.MP4?dl=0[/video]

PS: Not that these criminals are likely smart enough to find BS, but if you happen to see a new member selling LCP mags and a BladeTech VP9 holster, please let me know lol

Last edited:

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I would ask what part of NO you live in. But there is no such as a "safe neighborhood" in anywhere of NO. I lived in Algiers Point most of my adult life. It was relatively safe, so I though, until a man got shot in his head front of his daughter on a morning bus stop. Being cautious is just a way of life living in NO. Than the politics you having to deal with.
    To answer your question, once they realized what you have, more than likely they will be back!
    Best thing I did was moved the hell out of New Orleans. Beside, the mayor don't want you there anyway!!!!

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    did you file a police report?

Yeah. I assume that's about as futile exercise as it gets, but having a case number might help claim for some of the stuff with UPS etc.

I would ask what part of NO you live in.

Uptown off Tchoup. Pretty low-key neighborhood... maybe a car window smash-n-grab once a year somewhere in the vicinity but usually pretty uneventful around here.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m not sure if they would be any more likely to break in to your house. Sounds like their haul wasn’t an earth shattering loss. So it wasn’t an earth shattering gain for them either. Sure guns are great. Violent offenders want those stolen guns so they will pay good for them but it’s a smaller market and a more dangerous thing to try to ‘acquire’ and sell. If you had regular deliveries of goochi purses or air Jordan’s or something really easy to unload I think the odds of burglary increased.

But criminals like the rest of society don’t always follow logic.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Oh and condolences on being porch pirated. It’s lousy not to be able to trust your stuff won’t disappear.

I’m lucky to live where it’s legal to let my black lab have the run of the yard. She’s old, lazy and wouldn’t do much good if needed, but she’s a good deterrent to those who don’t know any better. A couple carriers have refused to deliver packages but most have figured out she harmless.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You mentioned UPS. Have you signed up with them? I have a free account and I get a notice when a package with my name and address is on the way. The account lets me hold the packages at the station and I believe I've been able to reroute them to a UPS pickup location like Walgreens or CVS when I knew I wouldn't be home on the delivery date. I say this because I noticed the time on the video was pretty close to midnight.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    You mentioned UPS. Have you signed up with them? I have a free account and I get a notice when a package with my name and address is on the way. The account lets me hold the packages at the station and I believe I've been able to reroute them to a UPS pickup location like Walgreens or CVS when I knew I wouldn't be home on the delivery date. I say this because I noticed the time on the video was pretty close to midnight.

Good suggestion. Rerouting might be a pain to have to go pick up, but your stuff doesn’t grow legs or get left out in the rain.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I think that it is likely that the person will only return to steal another package. Porch pirates typically just steal packages or open unlocked car doors. Burglary is much more involved.

You should acquire some litter box contents for next time. He might loose interest if he goes through the trouble for a box of cat **** and crap. If you don’t have any cats, then I can supply you with a box of used kitty litter at no charge.

Last edited:

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Had some a**hole steal a couple packages off my front porch the other night. First time this has happened, and other than being pissed off and annoyed I'm not overly concerned with the financial loss (it was about 200 bucks worth of stuff) but here's something I wanted to ask you guys: In the stack of packages that got swiped were a couple handgun magazines and holsters. The value aside, now whoever swiped this stuff knows my name, address and that I probably have firearms in the house. I've got video security, motion lights and an alarm system.

I'm new-ish to New Orleans, about 5 years, so not intimately familiar with crime patterns... do you think they'll be back to feed on my house or vehicle, or is this probably just a one-shot deal crime of opportunity? (I don't store anything valuable in my vehicle, but I do enjoy having the windows intact.)

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8m9zgxepybdiag/RingVideo_6845480534643075407.MP4?dl=0[/video]

PS: Not that these criminals are likely smart enough to find BS, but if you happen to see a new member selling LCP mags and a BladeTech VP9 holster, please let me know lol

Looks like he's been checking out your place for a while now and following the delivery trucks. I'd say he's a guy that lives around the neighborhood from the way that he casually walks in and around the area. Get a PO Box if you're going to be ordering lots of stuff online. Or, if it's from Amazon I think that you can send it to a local Amazon place to hold it for you if you're not home. Hope you catch that thief.

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree with the comments about having your packages diverted. After the second time I had one stolen I signed up for the free UPS MyChoice account on their app and in the app settings it gives you an option to automatically have all packages being sent to you to be rerouted to a UPS access point. Or you can do it on a package by package basis. There is a UPS store about a mile from where I live and they usually drop the packages there by late morning. They don't come into my neighborhood till late afternoon so not only do my packages not get stolen anymore but I can get them earlier in the day.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you order from Amazon, you can have it delivered to an Amazon locker at the Uptown Whole Foods. That one also works great if you need to hide christmas presents. Or to avoid the whole "what did you buy now" conversation.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Man I really feel like the odd man out on this one. My only time I was porch pirated was someone left a bottle of Malibu Rum on my porch in a bag. It was sealed and I kept if for a few weeks just in case the people showed up for it. I gave it away with the story on how I got it. So I am up like $30-40ish on my reverse porch pirate experience.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I received a box from some Tacti-kool place in Fla about 2 weeks ago for some dude about a mile away....

I waited until after 5pm in hopes he would be home...Drove over,Rang the doorbell with box in hand.

His very lovely wife was home and stepped outside,We exchanged a few hello's and I passed the box off to her,She was grateful I'm an honest sort.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Pure speculation, but I doubt the guy will be back. He probably just walks down the road looking for packages, opens the box, puts the goodies in his backpack, and dumps the box somewhere so he isn't seen with the box.

I would recommend at least 'hardening your shell' as much as possible if you haven't done so already. For a small amount of cash and a little bit of time, you can make break-ins a tad bit more difficult. Also, a few more motion lights could help too, but the verdict is out if criminals actually are bothered by them.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would like to see those exploding dye packets for sale. I would rig up a few in a shipping box and leave it on the porch. Let natural selection do the rest. Not sure how long it takes for the dye to wear off, but that perp will be hiding out and off the street for at least that long.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana

Call UPS/FedEx and ask for a manager; tell them dont leave boxes at your house anymore. From then on you will have to always sign for the package or it will go to a close drop point. You can sign up for UPS my Choice or FedEx Home delivery to schedule your delivery ( I think this is a paid service).

PO/UPS/FedEx all allow you to sign up for an email and text alert on their websites if you have the tracking number. Its free and customizable from every-time the package is scanned or just when its delivered. This way you can go to the door or call a neighbor to grab it for you. I made the free accounts with FedUps now anytime a package gets in one of their system with my address I get an auto-alert.

If you don't want to pay for the official scheduled delivery services offer your regular driver a bottle of water when its hot, give him a tip at Xmas get his cell # and when you know you have a delivery coming. Then you can call him and just go get it from him on the road.

Hope the info helps.

Top Bottom